Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last minute my buddy and I decided to head to Big Bend and White Sands National Park over our New Year holiday break. Most of the country was in either a snow or rain storm, so I found the one corner where we could find some good weather and enjoy a bit of off-road adventuring. He hopped in his 4Runner and we met in Palm Springs CA.

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC06062-HDR-Pano

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 10.55.06 AM

The drive from LA took 2 days. Our first stop, White Sands National Park in New Mexico. Not a far detour on our way to Big Bend.

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC05845-HDR-Pano-2

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC05865-Pano

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC05876

Reservations at Big Bend were scarce and for our second night we didn't have a place to stay. Most hotels in the nearby town of Alpine and Marfa were booked but we managed to find a place(not a nice place). We also managed to secure campsite for our second night in the park once we arrived and spoke to the rangers. Basics like Propane was in short supply in town.

Once we arrived at Big Bend National Park, we headed off-road on the Old Maverick Trail to Santa Elena Canyon. This was a fantastic introduction to the park.
Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC05915-HDR-Pano

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC05938-Pano

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC06023-HDR-Pano

From there we headed down river road west, taking our time to enjoy the sights. I totally miscalculated how long the trail would take and how big this park actually is. Our campsite was on the far northern end of the park at the Grapevine Spring, so we had quite a bit more driving to do.

There are private ranches in the park and spotted cows grazing.
Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC06076

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC06087-Pano

Our shortest route to our campsite was through the Jeep badge of honor trail "Black Gap Road". By now it was getting dark so we completed the trail at night. While I love night rides, I would have preferred to run the trail during the day to take in the views.
Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC06092-Pano-2

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC06111-Pano-3

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC06147

We stopped along the trail and made coffee. Much needed to get to our campsite and setup.
Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. IMG_6722

Our campsite was a frigid 26 degrees at night. No campfires allowed in the park so this is how we managed. Don't judge my choice in beer. lol
Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. IMG_6736

The following morning we ran the Old Ore Road trail which was fantastic. I was taken back by how lush this desert is, many springs bring the landscape to life with color. The trail took us about 6 hours with plenty of breaks to enjoy our environment.
Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC06181

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC06197-Pano

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC06207-Pano

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. big_bend_Panorama-1
Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DSC06187

We then used the paved roads to head to our southern campsite at Cottonwood for New Years Eve. I was expecting the other campers to be in a party spirit, but it was fairly subdued with the highlight being fireworks set off across the border by the local Mexicans at midnight. I really enjoyed that :)

The following morning we packed up and took the scenic paved road to exit the park. At one of the vistas we met the only other 2 door bronco I saw at the park. Plenty of 4 doors out and about but just us two with two doors.
Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. IMG_6746

We then took the 170 Scenic Farm Road for a drive near the Rio Grande next to Big Band Ranch.
Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. IMG_6749

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. IMG_6755

Even though I was a bit tired of desert landscapes having recently visited Joshua Tree, Anza Borrego and Johnson Valley, this park is a whole different ball game. The river and the springs turn the landscape into a desert jungle. The colors, variety, and scope is a sight to behold.
Sponsored

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice. Headed there the first part of April. Thanks for sharing

Ike89

Base
First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I could really feel like I was part of the journey. Thanks

Sponsored

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How many days at the park? We did 2 but def not enough if you ask me.
We are booked at the park from the 5th to the 9th. We plan to also camp outside the park and hit up Big Bend State Park. We travel full so no other scheduled reservations until May 5th at the Grand Canyon then on to Moab.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great writeup and images, KT_Bronco. So there were some itinerary complications? That's what makes trekking so interesting: dealing with the unexpected, but still having a great time.
Serious question: I read about the border problems, with illegals, human/drug traffiking, cartels. Is that area really safe?

OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We are booked at the park from the 5th to the 9th. We plan to also camp outside the park and hit up Big Bend State Park. We travel full so no other scheduled reservations until May 5th at the Grand Canyon then on to Moab.
That sounds like a great plan. We only had time to drive along the 170 near the State Park and it was just fantastic. The amount of area dedicated to the parks is phenomenal. You are going to have a blast. I loaded up on extra fuel for Big Bend for my 2 door, thinking I would need it, but there are plenty of fill up stations in the park and the price is exactly the same as in town.

OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great writeup and images, KT_Bronco. So there were some itinerary complications? That's what makes trekking so interesting: dealing with the unexpected, but still having a great time.
Serious question: I read about the border problems, with illegals, human/drug traffiking, cartels. Is that area really safe?
Thank you!

Interesting question, I watched a video of a nearby towns sheriff discussing it. Basically yes, there are illegals and trafficking, but it didn't seem to present a danger to visitors. Nor did I feel in danger.

We passed through many checkpoints with border patrol coming in and out of the park area. I was a little surprised but we had no issues. They just ask if you are a US citizen. I also passed by a border patrol balloon, which I'm guessing has electronics and cameras to monitor the vast distances. The sheriff in the video also discusses cameras that they operate to monitor the border as well.

Once you see the border and the river, you realize that it is a very difficult proposition to stop the crossings. I was tempted to cross and take a pic in Mexico, but it comes with a 5k fine if border patrol gets a whiff of it. But you can legally cross into Mexico for lunch with a passport and I think a permit to the towns near by.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So many wonderful places to wheel and play in North America. Lovely as Big Bend is, I think I'll pass. I'd be worried some cartel boss would spot my Bronco and say, "I'd sure like a nice truck like that!" For the same reason, I'll steer clear of certain cities. I'd list a few, but the moderators would ban me for obvious reasons.
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TX21BRONC

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Hemi, Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up. Looks like a great trip. My son(with a built up 4Runner) and I plan a trip there this spring. Thanks for sharing your experience.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wow! what a journey you had! and these photos are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the details of your trip. I'm adding Big Bend NP to my list of upcoming trips - this post might have moved it up the list a few spots!

I'm curious as to if those are Milwaukee Packout boxes in the passenger-side cargo area? How are you liking drawers like those for storage purposes?

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We just missed you. I met up with three other 6G forum members at Big Bend on Dec. 27th - 30th. We did the Ore Road and Glen Springs/Black Gap/River Road. It was a blast. Glad you got to enjoy the park.
Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. 1E9D5C11-9185-4214-AA00-2072E75B87D0

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love it when I see others post up and say good things about the BB area.
It was our first official camp-out destination when we got our Bronco, and a definite bucket-list place to go.
Like you, we only spent actually 2 days exploring. And it was not enough.
Easily a week solid can be spent there exploring, and even more when you combine BB Ranch State Park pretty much next door there past Lajitas.

We also did Old Ore, Glen Springs. We travelled north-south on Glen Springs so we opted to skip Black Gap and continue on to River Rd via the rest of Glen Springs.
And man-oh-man did we have a blast there near the end on River Rd in the loose trail sand and easy washes. Definite baja mode fun.

We had the same temptation to get a pic on the other side of the center of the river, but not enough bravery to tempt the fine/holdup it would all cause if we got caught.

I went in feeling somewhat nervous about potential safety concerns, but quickly found they were founded in just being overly paranoid about "what if".

It is truly a serene, beautiful place. Especially at sunset and during the dark of night, and just as the sun starts to light up the east.

For those who DO go there, take the few minutes to go up to the "Window" visitor center area. Nice views, very unique formations, and a store to stretch your legs at for a bit, take a brief hike (1/4 mile easy walk) to the observation point to overlook the "Window".

Also take the time to check out the ravines/canyons along your trails (we found dino tracks in the rock alongside some cool smooth rock formations along Glen Springs, right after the Black Gap intersection).
But definitely keep in mind this place is huge, and the trails are longer than you probably anticipate.
We also ended up making camp the first night in the pitch black, where I became a huge fan of the zone lighting feature.

Loved the story!

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice! Thanks for posting! Wish I lived out west still. Question: Is it allowed to take a Badlands to Big Bend Natl Park, and vice versa, a Big Bend to Badlands Natl Park? 😂
Sponsored