Indominus49er

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo, Honda
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So I read that Rivian will be delivering around the same time as Broncos. This is one other I am considering. It appears to be about 20k more than the FE for the biggest battery pack. Thoughts?
Sponsored

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you could afford it then why not? Keep in mind that you’ll need to make sure your houses electrical can handle the charging equipment.
I think the Rivian is an impressive vehicle. If I had the money I’d be considering it. But you are comparing two different trucks. What will you be doing with the truck?

Hermit

Badlands
First Name
Benjee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nimbus 3000
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you think this truck is honorable at the least?

Sponsored

sean-florida

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure I’d buy into a new comer vehicle...if it even ships. Tesla just filed a lawsuit against them this week.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I tossed out three options to my boss. Mach-E, Tesla or Bronco. Bronco for the win, she likes it and honestly, it is the best option.

Seventyfouronthefloor

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, LUBR, Chrome Yellow, 2016 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I tossed out three options to my boss. Mach-E, Tesla or Bronco. Bronco for the win, she likes it and honestly, it is the best option.
A BEV bronco/ranger will probably be out by 2025, Ford just didn’t want to have a more complex launch than it already had; before the battery tech was ready for off-road use. They went with a BEV F-150/Transit for 2022, which makes a ton more sense than the Bronco/Ranger as these are already widely used as fleet vehicles, where the big BEV demand is coming from.

I don’t think that GM is very wise to produce a BEV-only hummer; if the rumors are true. Tesla has a death-grip on the personal-use BEV buyer market. I think ford is pretty smart to aim for the fleet vehicle BEV segment with Rivian while dipping their toes in with the Mach-E. Making people fall in love with a car/feature at work and then want to have that same car/feature at home is a time-tested strategy.

BroncoChicken

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 Lexus GX, ‘75 Bronco Sport “Buddy”
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I like the Rivian Truck and SUV. I know the look is polarizing to some people, but I think we can all agree it looks much better than the Tesla truck. The $90k price tag will make sure I never own one though.

Sponsored

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sure, they may rate these E-vehicles for water crossing....but would you? Too big a risk, IMHO.

Walnut

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
old ass beater
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you're getting a 4-door, 2.7, hardtop, auto trans, mid package Bronco, you're at $50k.

It was rumored Rivian will be dropping base price of $69/72k to compete with cybertruck, minus fed tax credit.

So looking at the similarly equipped vehicles, Rivian is only $13-16k more expensive than the Bronco. At least this my thinking since I'm still on the fence about a Rivian.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have reservations for both a R1S and a Badlands Bronco; basically hedging my bets in case one of the two totally drops the ball. They each have their own pros/cons:

Bronco:
-Probably one of the last new manual transmission 4x4s, and I'm not sure I'm ready to give up my stick
-Removable roof
-Likely MUCH slower depreciation
-Better exterior styling
-There are two Ford dealers in my town, so service is no big deal

Rivian:
-Massively better acceleration/torque
-Much nicer interior, looks fragile though
-Young/hungry company subsidized by billionaire investors, rather than a dinosaur weighed down by their legacy pension/health care expenses
-Some very innovative features (like the 'gear tunnel' in the R1T, and 'tank turn')

The dealbreaker is probably that I'm a 2.5 hour drive from a Tesla service center, and Rivian will be even worse for several years at least. It'll also take Rivian a long time to catch up to mainstream automakers from a quality perspective; Tesla is still churning out vehicles with the fit/finish of a 1980s Hyundai (still last place among all automakers in initial quality, I believe). I don't care about the transaction price, but the depreciation on EVs has been brutal, while gas 4x4s are the best of any vehicle. Electric 4x4s might break that trend, though.