Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rivian raises vehicle prices by 20%, sparking customer ire

SAN FRANCISCO, March 1 (Reuters) - U.S. electric vehicle startup Rivian Automotive Inc (RIVN.O) said on Tuesday it has increased selling prices of its vehicles by about 20% due to inflationary pressures and higher component costs, angering some customers.

Rivian, in which Amazon.com Inc holds a 20% stake, said the starting price of its R1T electric pickup trucks has gone up by about 17% and its R1S sport utility vehicles by about 20%. It said the price increases would affect most of the customers who have already placed pre-orders for the vehicles.

"Well, it's a sad day for me. Cancelled the Rivian order. So bummed out," "Zach Jump-Start Marino", who said he lives in Georgia and holds Rivian shares, said on his Facebook posting.

"Price increase was astronomical and unfair to pre-order holders and early supporters. I'm not paying 94k+ for a "mid-size" truck," he said, adding he could buy gasoline pickup trucks such as Ford Motor's (F.N) F-150 at much lower prices.

He told Reuters his R1T price has gone up by $15,000, including options.

“Like most manufacturers, Rivian is being confronted with inflationary pressure, increasing component costs, and unprecedented supply chain shortages and delays for parts (including semiconductor chips)," Jiten Behl, Rivian's chief growth officer, said in a statement.

The California-based startup fell short of its production target last year due to supply chain constraints.

Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) and legacy car makers have also raised U.S. vehicle prices to offset high costs related to logistics and supply chain disruption, and dealers often mark-up Rivian raises vehicle prices by 20%, sparking customer ire prices because of vehicle shortages.

Elon Musk, chief executive of Tesla, tweeted that "Their negative gross margin will be staggering," in response to a story on Rivian's price hike.

Rivian said the cost of certain options including paint and wheels and upgrades like reinforced underbody shield have also increased.

The base price of the Rivian R1T is rising to approximately $79,500 from $67,500, while the R1S is starting at $84,500, up from $70,000.

Rivian said it will introduce an R1T model with a lower-range battery pack and dual motors in 2024, pricing it at the original $67,500.

Rivian's former head of sales and marketing, Laura Schwab, said in a lawsuit against the company in November that alleged "gender discrimination and retaliation" that "the vehicles were underpriced, and each sale would result in a loss for the company."

She said in the lawsuit she raised the issue with several Rivian executives, and Behl has acknowledged a need to raise the vehicle prices "after the IPO" in November.

Reporting by Hyunjoo Jin; Editing by Leslie Adler and Muralikumar Anantharaman
Sponsored

Girldadx3

Badlands
First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hadn’t heard this. I have an R1S reservation. I’m out as well. Just canceled.

dpav02

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it's a great truck. I debated on putting down a deposit but not now. You can get the top of the line full size lightning for those prices. Which you can then use to backfeed your home during a power outage.

Chris S

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla '18 M3 Perf & '22 MY Perf, '19 MX-5 Club,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rivian stock is down almost 12% as of now, and I believe the fallout is far from over.

Sponsored

Mr_Scoutmaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands / '22 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well that was short lived! I just put down a reservation yesterday and cancelled it just now. Shortest Rivian reservation award?

I suppose its easy for me to eject with very little sunk time. While I can afford it, I have a rule about paying over a certain amount for a mere vehicle, although my expectations may need to adjust in this post-pandemic world. I guess I will stick with my 1+ year old Ford Bronco reservation, although there's no end in sight for that as well. At least Ford did give the early Bronco reservation holders MSRP price protection - to be honest though it's looking like those who ordered in MY21 might get a MY23 and should be worried the price protection will get nerfed. When I heard Tesla had hiked the price of a Model Y about $10k last year, I should've seen the writing on the wall. While it's tempting to keep the reservation and choose the dual motor, I've seen no reviews on that and I am not willing to sacrifice more range. Too bad, I really want to make the transition to an EV someday.

Last edited:

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a reservation on an R1S, I am still VERY much on the fence about it. It, in theory, is to replace my Expedition EL. But looking at the numbers I can’t see how it is a viable Familytruckster for me. The limited range and extended charge time just are not going to work.

I was very upset when I got the price jump email and I was damn close to cancelling my reservation. I probably was going to but work was busy and I didn’t get the chance then they sent the price protection email so I left it. However I’m not sure for how long.

An EV as a DD is about the only way one would work for me. I drive roughly 30 miles a day for work plus some days for errands. But I can’t bring myself to buy an extremely used hybrid as who knows how the battery will last. And I’m not buy a new EV. Simply not worth it to me.

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a reservation on an R1S, I am still VERY much on the fence about it. It, in theory, is to replace my Expedition EL. But looking at the numbers I can’t see how it is a viable Familytruckster for me. The limited range and extended charge time just are not going to work.

I was very upset when I got the price jump email and I was damn close to cancelling my reservation. I probably was going to but work was busy and I didn’t get the chance then they sent the price protection email so I left it. However I’m not sure for how long.

An EV as a DD is about the only way one would work for me. I drive roughly 30 miles a day for work plus some days for errands. But I can’t bring myself to buy an extremely used hybrid as who knows how the battery will last. And I’m not buy a new EV. Simply not worth it to me.
Get a Camry hybrid for 30 miles a day at 55 miles per gallon, and keep the mileage off the Bronco.

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford F-150 Lightning’s 320-Mile Range Beats Available Rivian Electric Pickup, But Lags GMC

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just saw one on the road yesterday. Not too bad looking in person. I was surprised.

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, here is a copy of a Rivian CS chat I had today. I hope FORD comes out with something similar for Bronco reservation holders left in the weeds like me.

"Hey Mark, while I don't have any new updates to provide at this time, I can advise that your estimated delivery window is still 1st half of 2023. I can let you know that we will be rolling out a new delivery feature in the coming months. Each preorder holder will have access to this feature directly through their Rivian account. Preorder holders will be able to monitor their order-specific delivery window, and this feature will update at regular intervals to assist with planning purposes. Once this feature launches, we will be sure to let our community know via email."
Sponsored