Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I agree the side window problem sux, and shouldn't have happened. IMHO the windshield is basically just the nature of the beast, and the pitiful glass manufactureres use these days. We took our new Wranger on a cross country road trip (from North Carolina) in 2019. When we got home my windshield had a ton of pits, but luckily no crack like yours. And no, I wasn't happy either. If you haven't already I suggest checking with your insurance co. for a replacement windshield since yours has that crack. Good luck. It aggravates me that these new vehicle windshields seem to be too soft.

Hopefully the warranty will cover your side window.
Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wranglers are known for their windshields being rock catchers... It's because of the angle and the airflow over the hood/whindshield. That is why jeep started offering gorilla Glass as an option.

my point being that getting windshield chips is probably going to be fairly regular on these types of vehicles.

as for the driver's window...that sucks. You're not the first person that has had issues like this. I get why Ford did it, it was probably driven by the ability to put the doors in the back, But it's a crap design. Other folks that have had windows like this and other Ford vehicles for years have said they hold up. Not sure about the frozen shut thing though.

hell, maybe that's why ford seems to blast So much air out of the defroster... Because they knew this was a problem.
Just a little info on the gorilla glass joker. From reports on the Jeep JL forum it looks to be just a marketing scheme. At this point they seem to be just as bad as the standard front glass. But, that doen't surprise me, and I'm sure it doesn't surprise you either. :)

Murfman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WildTrak, Cyber Orange soft top
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My windshield caught a rock at 300 miles, 7 days of ownership and 1st time on the freeway. 6 months to get a new windshield. The guy at safelite told me Weanglers, FJs, and H2/H3s are in the shop all the time. He expected to start seeing tons of Broncos as well. The indexing windows have me a bit concerned as well. Mine froze over at 10 deg the other day and made a ton of racket going down. Wait and see. I guess.
If you want to drive to Canon City, Fairicy Boys Ford, call Renee and they will get you scheduled.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Explorer ST, ā€˜19 GT350, ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Iā€™m sorry. Call me an asshole but this whole thread was started by someone who doesnā€™t understand the nature of these beasts (wranglers included) as for the frameless side windows tons of car makers use it with little to no problem. All of my Subarus had them and I live in the NE so there was always tons of snow. Never had an issue with the seals but I did have to pay attention to helping to keep them clean of snow and ice. As for the indexing window there are lots of cars operating in inclement weather that have them. Yes it requires some forethought when you own them but I think the benefit far outweighs the draw backs. All the people that add ā€œIā€™ve owned lots of other cars that never did ā€¦ā€¦..ā€ almost 100% of the time never owned a wrangler or have had any real experience with them. This is the vehicles biggest problem is people bought them and have no idea that there could possibly be compromises with a truck that the doors and top come off of.

I had the EXACT same scenario the op talked about just last night. Heavy rain followed by heavy snow (6 inches) and I had to leave in a hurry this morning so I remote started the car and started clearing the snow. I paid very close attention to the bottom window seals pressing slightly in on the glass while clearing the ice at the base of all windows and I had ZERO issues opening any of the doors. Windows indexed just fine. And btw it was 8 degrees without windchill.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I was all-in on Dynoflex this weekend until I read you can get a year or two at best "if you don't use your wipers". Unless you really keep it polished and use silicone wiper blades, you're going to end up with wiper brush marks. Seems it's meant for supercars that don't really see any rain or weather. Also, you shouldn't use your ice brush on it.
Yea, any film will have that issue unfortunately. Having a thousand dollar windshield replaced every year isn't exactly great value either though.

Sponsored

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you are unhappy with your purchase, I will take it off your hands as is šŸ˜€

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Guaranteed, Ford knew that the windshields in the Bronco were shit. But an improvement would have cost $3.07 more per unit. Welcome to first year production vehicles, and their perceived ADM values (aka, pay more for less to be the first). By 2024 they will have better quality windshields, or risk increased insurance premiums, which might impact sales.

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you want to drive to Canon City, Fairicy Boys Ford, call Renee and they will get you scheduled.
it got fixed in January. Last August there werenā€™t any replacement windshields as they needed to be ordered from Ford, through a dealer.

OP
OP

Weck

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 2500, Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
These windows wouldn't be ideal up North I'd imagine. I've had them on my Mustang and Audi TT, but it wasn't really an issue down here (Southern VA). Those cars always stayed parked when we got the occasional snow/ ice.

That must have been awful driving all that way with your temporary window. Hope they get it fixed soon.

Did you pull all that tape off? Sometimes tape can leave a nasty mess. I'd be concerned about ripping the MIC apart when removing it, LOL.
I took the tape of as soon as I got home. It wasnā€™t stuck on very good due to all the dirt and toad grime.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I think Iā€™m gonna start going in through the tailgate whenever itā€™s icy out
Ha! I did this for years with my ā€˜75 Mach 1. Door locks always would freeze. The rear hatch never did. The seat backs were always down anyways soā€¦ā€¦. I have no plans on doing that again at my age.

Sponsored

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the window motor design is one of the worst pats of the Bronco and I expect this to be a failure at an unreasonably early point.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All this talk about windows and windshields and last friday my windshield spontaneously cracked
My Bronco doesn't even exist yet, and now I have anxiety that it already has broken windows and a cracked windshield.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Weck

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 2500, Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Iā€™m sorry. Call me an asshole but this whole thread was started by someone who doesnā€™t understand the nature of these beasts (wranglers included) as for the frameless side windows tons of car makers use it with little to no problem. All of my Subarus had them and I live in the NE so there was always tons of snow. Never had an issue with the seals but I did have to pay attention to helping to keep them clean of snow and ice. As for the indexing window there are lots of cars operating in inclement weather that have them. Yes it requires some forethought when you own them but I think the benefit far outweighs the draw backs. All the people that add ā€œIā€™ve owned lots of other cars that never did ā€¦ā€¦..ā€ almost 100% of the time never owned a wrangler or have had any real experience with them. This is the vehicles biggest problem is people bought them and have no idea that there could possibly be compromises with a truck that the doors and top come off of.

I had the EXACT same scenario the op talked about just last night. Heavy rain followed by heavy snow (6 inches) and I had to leave in a hurry this morning so I remote started the car and started clearing the snow. I paid very close attention to the bottom window seals pressing slightly in on the glass while clearing the ice at the base of all windows and I had ZERO issues opening any of the doors. Windows indexed just fine. And btw it was 8 degrees without windchill.
I think the problem was the snow would melt in the daytime sun and freeze again at night. The melting snow would have water intrusion into the window channels and regulator which would freeze there. My service writer said the Super Duties have a recall for water intrusion. The water drips on the door release mechanism and freezes there. When pulling the interior door handle, the release breaks. So water intrusion can be a problem. He is working on my Bronco next week. I will report back on what exactly broke.

Rdavis

Big Bend
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Took our brand new Outer Banks for a trip to Colorado for some snowboarding. We left central Texas and all was well on the trip up. The Bronco run and drove like a champ. While at Vail, it snowed every morning then the sun would melt it during the afternoon. Refreezing would occur nightly. This is where the trouble started. One morning I went to the truck to get something and while opening the driverā€™s door the window indexes down. It was frozen and made a cracking sound. I figured it was the ice breaking. I closed the door and the window indexed up. All seamed normal. A few days later we drove to Denver and stopped and a drive through. I lowered the window and it sounded like the whole window shattered. Then it wouldnā€™t go back up. The glass was fine but the regulator was toast. It was snowing and 4 degrees and no window. We had to get back to Texas, so I got some plastic and tape and made a new window. We drove for 14 very loud hours. Upon getting home I noticed three cracks in the windshield. Looking closer, there was hundreds of pits with tiny cracks forming. I am guessing this is from the sand on the interstate. A quick google search revealed that the Bronco Sports and Rangers all have serious windshield problems. Also, some other owners are reporting broken window regulators when the temp gets below 15 degrees. This is totally unacceptable. The vehicle only has 2000 miles and it canā€™t even be used in the snow. That is what I bought it for. We are heartbroken that Ford would put this kind of crap on the market. This supposed to be a rough and tough vehicle.

E37B6F11-3779-43A3-AFE3-9EBB552ACC64.jpeg

C63F0154-538B-4CD5-8BC1-1E425DB35D1D.jpeg

D4945490-499F-4A91-9616-A98D553AEF23.jpeg

71DF5A84-E441-48EA-B564-1042346B263E.jpeg
hate to say, im on my 3rd Windshield. 2 in town freeway. and one on my way to flordia. stay back from cars and stay back from TRUCKS. sure this happen on accident. just a FYI. thought about this when you crack window on freeway and it just wobbles. smh. goodluck, sorry to hear this.
Sponsored