Sponsored

Rock chips on hood -- how to repair small rock chips in the paint?

PcDBronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 F250 Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, one of the reasons to minimize the time you drive in the outer passing lane. Can't stop the random encounter, but you can minimize the opportunity for the encounter to occur.
This is true unless its a 2 lane. Either way itll happen and my antimatter paint seems far thinner than my f250 that has 150k and no chips other than from my wife beating the side with her purse climbing in every day. Its fine with me though its not a show vehicle its my beach and country ride. Give it time and pinstripes and dings will be the least hits itll take.
Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Quit following so close to the vehicles in front of you.
People say this with windshields too but it's a stupid comment every time.

99% of all the rock chips I've ever had on every vehicle has come flying off of an oncoming car with no one in front of me.

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
When I had my Bronco Sport I had a plastic 55 gallon barrel get blown onto the highway from the median by high winds and take the lower molding off the drivers side. $400 for the parts. Couldn’t avoid it unfortunately.

ByrdDogX

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Quit following so close to the vehicles in front of you.
I have had people pass in the emergency lane because this area doesn't enforce traffic laws and had windshield broken twice and rock chips in edge of hood.

Sometimes you can't avoid it.

Eroc88

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From hearing how easy the bronco windshields are getting cracked from rocks, Areoskin II hood deflector was the very first thing I installed. Highly recommend!

Sponsored

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
From hearing how easy the bronco windshields are getting cracked from rocks, Areoskin II hood deflector was the very first thing I installed. Highly recommend!
Not sure how the deflector will prevent rocks from hitting the windshield. It will protect the front of the hood.

Eroc88

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure how the deflector will prevent rocks from hitting the windshield. It will protect the front of the hood.
Because of the lip on the deflector and not following close to other vehicles. It works and has saved my windshield from rocks.

TallDude

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nothing on the hood.
But the steal bumper took a rock hit at some point.
Ford Bronco Rock chips on hood -- how to repair small rock chips in the paint? 3035E2BF-C57D-446C-A1ED-3D430F6DC707

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Because of the lip on the deflector and not following close to other vehicles. It works and has saved my windshield from rocks.
I can't follow your logic at all.

I deflector would have done NOTHING to stop the rock from making the one inch dent in my windshield from a rock thrown up by an F-150 going the other way on a 60 mph highay.

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

I deflector would have done NOTHING to stop the rock from making the one inch dent in my windshield from a rock thrown up by an F-150 going the other way on a 60 mph highay.
Exactly. The lip alters the airflow over the hood so you don’t get as much light stuff hitting your windshield - e.g., bugs, etc. It won’t do anything for “line drive” rocks.

Sponsored

Eroc88

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No kidding a hood deflector wouldn't protect your windshield from that type of a direct rock impact. I didnt say a deflector would protect the windshield from every type of rock known to man thrown at it.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No kidding a hood deflector wouldn't protect your windshield from that type of a direct rock impact. I didnt say a deflector would protect the windshield from every type of rock known to man thrown at it.
My hood deflector stopped an RPG-7 from hitting my windshield.... no, not really.

cracKen

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Went ahead and ordered a kit from Dr. Colorchip myself for my own scratches on my doors. Ill see how well it works and report back.

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Went ahead and ordered a kit from Dr. Colorchip myself for my own scratches on my doors. Ill see how well it works and report back.
I just tried the Dr.ColorChip kit today for the first time on my Lightning Blue FE. It worked REALLY well on several chips. (The manufacturer does say that it is best on chips as opposed to scratches). I am truly impressed with the product.

It worked amazingly on flat panels, and pretty well on curved surfaces. But I may just need to improve my technique on the curved panels though.

Don’t be afraid to apply plenty of the paint, you can knock it down smooth again after.
My tip: Use PATIENCE and Not PRESSURE when rubbing it back down smooth with the “SealAct” step.

I’m going to do a separate post with before & after photos. I love it.

Last edited: