First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2020/2022 ILX, 2017 RDX
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This is not meant to belittle anyone’s love of this type of off-roading, instead it is a genuine question. As someone who is new to off-roading I just don’t understand why someone would want to put their $50k ride in jeopardy from driving up big rocks. I can see the appeal of everything else, especially driving sand/beach but just want someone to tell me why you like it so much.
Sponsored

NurseDan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is not meant to belittle anyone’s love of this type of off-roading, instead it is a genuine question. As someone who is new to off-roading I just don’t understand why someone would want to put their $50k ride in jeopardy from driving up big rocks. I can see the appeal of everything else, especially driving sand/beach but just want someone to tell me why you like it so much.
Same boat

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The same reason some people choose to shoot a ball through a hoop.

but the ball is $50k and the hoop are rock ledges

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can control how much jeopardy you get your rig into, but...

It's usually been the challenge of the obstacles and there are rigs people have put far more than $50K into that have rolled over showing off.

I like going where most vehicles can't and seeing areas that would be really difficult--if not, impossible--to get to by foot with enough food and drink to enjoy it when I get there.

OP
OP
jkburg

jkburg

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2020/2022 ILX, 2017 RDX
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The same reason some people choose to shoot a ball through a hoop.

but the ball is $50k and the hoop are rock ledges
So is that a you like it because you like it. Is the thrill the sense of danger or what?

Sponsored

Runningwaters

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I don’t really look to rock crawl, but I love to explore and have had to crawl to get to some area I wanted to get to etc.

So for me, it’s being able to get wherever I want. It feels pretty darn good making it over some nasty rocks, mounds, etc. and getting to some scenic area or discover something cool.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Because it’s fun to take 5 hours to drive a 1/2 mile.

I once took a new (friends wives) Jeep Wrangler up to the Rubicon Trail. We had a 6-pack of beer, a couple bottles of water and some jerky, and no clue what we were getting ourselves into. We ended up getting stuck between a rock and a very large tree. After several hours of cussing we made it back up the hill we just had come down and back to pavement. Ended up with several dents, scratches, bent rim, dented fuel tank and learned a few things. Needless to say next time we went we were slightly more prepared, and driving 1970s Blazers.

Extreme Rock crawling is not for the faint of heart and not good for new daily driver vehicles.
Areas like Moab are nice because you can do some great off-roading without the danger of severe damage if your careful.
The appeal is the journey, and the camaraderie, and testing your skills, and vehicle against the elements, hopefully coming out of it with good memories.

happy trails

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Until you’ve done it, it’s hard to explain how much fun it is.

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So is that a you like it because you like it. Is the thrill the sense of danger or what?
I think some people find it fun.
It’s challenging, overcoming obstacles literally, being outdoors in nature, esp when you camp out..
Some people leave their cozy homes to sleep in a tent too.

Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They like it because they get to call everything else mall crawling... I guess.

OldGrayMare

Badlands
First Name
Jami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '67 Tempest, '85 Yota SR5, '16 ATS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Rock Crawling - Please Help Me Understand the Appeal AAD82A19-D168-4C98-9812-DACD94081249

We just spent 5 hours on the trails today. Hills, rocks, ruts...just cruising. It’s just you and nature. Conquering obstacles large and small. Being free to do as you please.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You don't need a $50k vehicle to rock crawl. In fact it's better if it's the cheapest 4x4 you can get your hands on and make run reliably.

Those of us planning to run our $50k vehicles on the hardest stuff we can find have been doing it for some time and have experience deciding where and when we're in over our heads.

If you're not there, start easier and work your way up.

David12691

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Same boat
Same same boat, I've done some decent off-roading in NC when I lived there, and have taken my JK to an off road park here in CA, but the hardcore, rock-crawling, rock rails required beyond this point off roading is a bit much for me personally. Im excited that the Brono's SAS suspension seems to be able to handle high speed off roading, which is more my style, but to each their own I suppose.

Ether way, I'm happy to have a competitor available that can do both. My JK would probably fall apart at the bolts if I tried to drive it any faster than 20 mph on anything other than tarmac.
Sponsored