Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Back in the 70s there were two motorcycle sports that were very big. Both were kind of the same as rock crawling - to see if you can. They were Hill Climbing, and Trials. Look them up if you're too young to know about them.

Update: It appears Trials is still done.
Sponsored

Last edited:

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I change my vote. The real reason is to practice staying on residual boulders for when the graboids come out.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Back in the 70s there were two motorcycle sports that were very big. Both were kind of the same as rock crawling - to see if you can. They were Hill Climbing, and Trials. Look them up if you're too young to know about them.

Update: It appears Trials is still done.
Look up Gravelrama down in Cleves Ohio. Hill climbs are still big down there.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why do you climb a mountain? Because it's there.

Sponsored

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Why do you jump out of a plane? Because it tempts disaster.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Considering the Bronco will be one of THE BEST equipped Stock vehicles to ever be made for Rock Crawling, I hope you can test it out for yourself. I was a car guy most of my life (2 door coupes like Mustang, Camaro, Starion, G35) but messed up and bought a used 4Runner a couple of years back. Being able to get out to places other people can't is a big plus. It took me awhile to actually find the Rock Crawling locations near me, but once I did it was all over. I was hooked. Fast forward after 2 newer 4Runners then a 4x4 Tundra and whoopy, the Bronco reveal happens!!
Does Rock Crawling lead to parts breaking? Yes it can. Will you do that in your new $50k Bronco? Yes I will. Do you recommend a newbie do that in their Bronco? Not exactly, unless they are accompanied by a knowledgeable group of other crawlers, but even then the peer pressure could lead to errors....
Fact is, ALL vehicles depreciate when you drive them off the lot anyway so why not have fun in it? If the vehicles gets totaled, you always have insurance I guess, but scratches and a few dings are the minimum price for Rock Crawling admission. If you can't pay that price just keep your Bronco on the pavement.
2VhV5Us.jpg

After a narrow trail ride.
7zOYgP6.jpg

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco Rock Crawling - Please Help Me Understand the Appeal 7zOYgP6

This was my buddies Blazer, after learning our lesson in that TJ, we both built up Trail rigs, he ended up working support for the Jeep Jamboree on the Rubicon.

Rock crawling is a lot like skiing, you don’t have to take the double black Diamond runs to have fun. But, if you do, you may get banged up.
I’m fine with some rock crawling, as long as there’s always a way to go around it when you get bored or feel like it too much!
Places like the Rubicon Fordyce I get tired of the pointer guy always point turn left turn right little this way little that.
that drives me crazy!
I guess you can say I have no patience!

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m fine with some rock crawling, as long as there’s always a way to go around it when you get bored or feel like it too much!
Places like the Rubicon Fordyce I get tired of the pointer guy always point turn left turn right little this way little that.
that drives me crazy!
I guess it’s being in a traffic jam out the the middle of nowhere to me is like what is the point!
I came up here to get away from all that shit!
I think it would be a lot funner with like six guys three rigs

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I guess it’s being in a traffic jam out the the middle of nowhere to me is like what is the point!
I came up here to get away from all that shit!
I think it would be a lot funner with like six guys three rigs
Agree. Most of my trips up towards the Rubicon was with a small group, and we found a side trail that led to an old abandoned State campground near a mountain lake. Usually only 3-4 of us. I avoided the Jamborees and the other large events. The few times I traversed the Rubicon was in the off-seasons, either right after the snow melt, or just before first snows in the Fall.

Sponsored

jimbo92

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It’s keeps me further away from all the trail tampon overlanders.

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Give it a try and see it you like it is the best advice I can give you. Go with a local club or some folks from on here that have experience.

I enjoy it for being outdoors, challenge, sense of accomplishment, adrenalin rush, teamwork...meeting strangers that often turn into great friends and seeing amazing scenery.

I agree with a previous poster Mud is the Devil!

Also shocked someone didn't say "it's a Jeep think you wouldn't understand" :LOL: Wrong forum I guess!

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do with your Bronco!

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
that drives me crazy!
For me, I just don't like spotters who will not leave you alone. I like spotters who don't get in front of the vehicle and only talk if I'm about to screw up real bad. Otherwise, I want to drive my damn vehicle. I've been on a few rides where I purposefully ignore the self appointed spotters. They either figure it out or I have to tell them to get out of the way.

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am gonna be honest, I do not get it at all either. That's why I am getting a Wildtrak.

I can hike, run, ride my mountain bike faster than this rockcrawling stuff - what is the point?? I would way rather use my vehicle for fun beach/sand driving and getting me to the trailhead so I can go on my mountain bike (non E bike thank you...) and enjoy the outdoors. I like being outdoors to get some exercise without really being aware of it too.

Driving for hours on end, going a few miles, sitting in a seat and burning zero calories seems not only boring, but pointless.

Again, just my opinion.

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I’m a rock crawler. I’ve tried different motor sports and this one is the one I’ve had the most fun with. I’ve got about $50k into my Jeep and everything underneath is beat to hell, just part of the game. I will not be doing the same thing with the Bronco, I’ve learned my lesson.
Sponsored