Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I was planning on Baja Designs rock lights for various reasons, but mostly because I liked everything I have read about the company, their quality, and I am already planning on a set of fog lights from them (I like things to match). To my surprise, the rock lights they produce are not the brightest available, and do not have the best output as far as spread. For my application, it seems like KC's Cyclone rock lights are a real winner, but the Baja Designs, Rigid Industries, or other manufacturers lights may still suit your application better (interior lighting?).

I found this thread on a Tacoma forum and the member who did the comparison did an awesome job posting hard data from various tests for easy comparisons. He tested LUX, Rigid, Baja Designs, KC, VLEDS, and Morimoto.

For anyone considering the Ford option (Rigid Industries), those look great too but seem to be a bit expensive for what you really get.

If you are considering Baja Designs, make sure you look at page 2, post #36 for the real data. An older version of their rock lights was used unknowingly, and a new test was done with the newest version (much brighter).

I hope you all find this as helpful as I have!

Ford Bronco Rock Light Comparison 1610848938794
Sponsored

beaglebronco

First Edition
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda pilot
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thanks, very helpful indeed. Noob question here - I presume these are factory installed when purchased as an accessory at time of order? Also, how would one determine amber vs white light? What is the driving factor to make that decision?

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Philly

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks, very helpful indeed. Noob question here - I presume these are factory installed when purchased as an accessory at time of order? Also, how would one determine amber vs white light? What is the driving factor to make that decision?

Thanks in advance.
If you order the rock lights through Ford (Rigid Industries), they are either installed at the factory or by your dealer upon delivery. I am unsure of which at the moment and I do not know where Ford or your dealer will mount them. Probably one at the top of each wheel well.

As far as determining amber vs. white, that is really up to you. If you never intend on using them as rock lights and they're just to look cool, then you can get some really wild colors, or lights that let you control them with your phone to change colors and brightness.

Some people like amber better because the color is easier on the eyes and will cause less fatigue in high glare situations such as rain, dust, fog, and snow, but they are also typically slightly dimmer because the light is filtered through a lens. Most people won't notice a difference in brightness, or even say that the amber is brighter, in those high glare situations because the light is more usable because of less perceived glare. The advantages of white are that it is typically brighter and does not distort colors. White might be better if you're using your rock lights to do a trail repair or change a tire at night, but at the end of the day, white vs. amber is truly up to personal preference. I found all this out while doing fog light research and decided on amber fogs.

I will also be going with amber rock lights because I will drive in a lot of snowy situations and less perceived glare coming off the snow when I need to take a look at a tire or get underneath the Bronco to fix something will be nice. If I need the extra brightness or clarity underneath, I will have a flashlight. I also like the way amber looks a lot and because this will be my daily driver for at least the next few years, appearance is important to me.

White or amber and you can't go wrong. The other colors will be more for show, but red could be nice because it doesn't impact your night vision.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well OP, kinda off topic, but:

Michigan
Underglow is considered legal while driving in the State of Michigan, make sure you follow these few pointers:

• So long as the lights are shielded and not illuminated when driving, you can add car underglow.
  • The use of any kind of flashing lights is forbidden.
  • The only approved aftermarket lighting colors are white or amber on the front and front sides, and red or amber on the back and back sides of a car.
  • Installing underglow isn’t illegal in Michigan as long as you’re using it on private property only
Don't see anything about certain colors underneath (Sauce)

OP
OP
Philly

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well OP, kinda off topic, but:

Michigan
Underglow is considered legal while driving in the State of Michigan, make sure you follow these few pointers:

• So long as the lights are shielded and not illuminated when driving, you can add car underglow.
  • The use of any kind of flashing lights is forbidden.
  • The only approved aftermarket lighting colors are white or amber on the front and front sides, and red or amber on the back and back sides of a car.
  • Installing underglow isn’t illegal in Michigan as long as you’re using it on private property only
Don't see anything about certain colors underneath (Sauce)
Oh I know it’s absolutely illegal while driving. You can turn them on in parking lots if you insist on being “that guy.” But, they are strictly for off-road use. I doubt a cop would give you a hard time if you were using them while stationary to change a flat on the side of the road too because you aren’t moving, and if anything, it makes you more visible to traffic. If you’re worried about that, though, I would 100% stay away from blue or red.

I have become very well versed in Michigan vehicle lighting laws over the past couple of months. :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh I know it’s absolutely illegal while driving. You can turn them on in parking lots if you insist on being “that guy.” But, they are strictly for off-road use. I doubt a cop would give you a hard time if you were using them while stationary to change a flat on the side of the road too because you aren’t moving, and if anything, it makes you more visible to traffic. If you’re worried about that, though, I would 100% stay away from blue or red.

I have become very well versed in Michigan vehicle lighting laws over the past couple of months. :ROFLMAO:
I printed out the Jersey Law and drive with them on at night with no issues, even past a few cops.

Could just be lucky, but who knows. At least at car shows and offroad, it's not a big deal

Ford Bronco Rock Light Comparison IMG_20210111_183944

OP
OP
Philly

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I printed out the Jersey Law and drive with them on at night with no issues, even past a few cops.

Could just be lucky, but who knows. At least at car shows and offroad, it's not a big deal
I printed out the license plate laws on using vintage plates in Michigan and keep them in the glove box in my mustang. She doesn’t really see the road much yet because there’s a lot of work to do... so I haven’t needed to pull them out.

If it’s not a commonly enforced or well-known law, I feel it’s good to have the documentation on hand so you can have an educated conversation with the officer and hopefully avoid an argument or ticket. If it comes down to a different interpretation of the law, I bet worst case you get a warning and then you just don’t do whatever you’re doing, again.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I printed out the license plate laws on using vintage plates in Michigan and keep them in the glove box in my mustang. She doesn’t really see the road much yet because there’s a lot of work to do... so I haven’t needed to pull them out.

If it’s not a commonly enforced or well-known law, I feel it’s good to have the documentation on hand so you can have an educated conversation with the officer and hopefully avoid an argument or ticket. If it comes down to a different interpretation of the law, I bet worst case you get a warning and then you just don’t do whatever you’re doing, again.
Or a fine at most. Gotta also see what the classic laws in NJ are as well now that you bring it up.

Brand I went with there is Heise, they're not bad, bit of a delay and tied to the battery, but I'm happy with them if you want a little review on them

Mdemieville

Badlands
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Lincoln MKZ hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm also using KC Cyclones. I really like how easy it is to mount them just about anywhere. All the other brands seemed like they were all the same cheap crap, even the stuff from the higher end brands.

OP
OP
Philly

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm also using KC Cyclones. I really like how easy it is to mount them just about anywhere. All the other brands seemed like they were all the same cheap crap, even the stuff from the higher end brands.
Really? Even Rigid and Baja Designs? Seems like they have become just as big as KC, if not bigger in LED’s, and have very high quality. I haven’t purchased from either brand before, but was sold on Baja Designs for my other lights after doing a ton of reading and research.

Are you talking about quality from the companies across the board or just for the rock lights?

Sponsored

Mdemieville

Badlands
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Lincoln MKZ hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really? Even Rigid and Baja Designs? Seems like they have become just as big as KC, if not bigger in LED’s, and have very high quality. I haven’t purchased from either brand before, but was sold on Baja Designs for my other lights after doing a ton of reading and research.

Are you talking about quality from the companies across the board or just for the rock lights?
I was only speaking of the rock lights. They all are damn near the same looking and have the same cheap plastic housing and at least the rgb rock lights look to even use the same app as a controller.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Plan on going with amber fog/snow lights, here in MN. White ditch lights. Yellow camp lights. Inside footwell and cargo lights changeable colors. I like the idea of colored rock lights, but not in a hurry, probably do last.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for this. I'd been thinking of getting the Rigid Rock Lights as part of my build, but looking at this I may just get the KC's and do it myself.

I have zero experience with this, but I'm check out some videos on aftermarket lighting with Jeeps and Raptors. Am I correct that one of the 5A Aux switches should be able to handle the Cyclone 6-Light Kit? (Trying to reserve the higher amp switches for other things.)

OP
OP
Philly

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for this. I'd been thinking of getting the Rigid Rock Lights as part of my build, but looking at this I may just get the KC's and do it myself.

I have zero experience with this, but I'm check out some videos on aftermarket lighting with Jeeps and Raptors. Am I correct that one of the 5A Aux switches should be able to handle the Cyclone 6-Light Kit? (Trying to reserve the higher amp switches for other things.)
Yes. I don't think there will be any issues with that. If you get the full kit, it is fused and the lights are super low draw to begin with. I am not the best with wiring, but I do know that for other accessories with a higher draw, you can just add a relay and have the switch flip the relay instead of having the full current from the accessory go through the switch. Then you won't have to worry about which switch is which.

Most accessories you can hook up to the switches come with relays as part of their wiring harnesses as well.

BLTN

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious - Where did you find amperage specs for the aux switches?
Sponsored