Sponsored

Rock lights. Worth it getting installed from factory?

OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you know what rock lights are actually for? They don't need to be big.

Any quality name brand unit will be fully weather sealed.
seems like the brighter they are the better.
Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Everyone needs to order the (“auxiliary switches”)prewired factory switches, in my F250 they are called “upfitter” switches. It makes wiring up any accessory super convenient. Trust me, get the switches! I agree with above, just get the rock lights aftermarket. Ford if you’re reading this...Make “auxiliary switches/upfitter switches” standard on all trucks!
Meh. It's an extra cost the majority of people don't need and lots don't even know what they are for. No reason for them to be standard. Aren't they a standalone option on the trucks anyway? No reason to roll that cost into msrp for people who don't even know what they are.

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
trying to find reviews of these lights and i could only find an install tutorial and they are VERY small.

also cant find out of they are waterproof.
All rock lights are waterproof, wouldnt last long if they weren’t. Checkout “Hella rock lights” my brother works for them. I mounted them under the dash and back seats for interior lighting, also have a set mounted under step bars.

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Meh. It's an extra cost the majority of people don't need and lots don't even know what they are for. No reason for them to be standard. Aren't they a standalone option on the trucks anyway? No reason to roll that cost into msrp for people who don't even know what they are.
you must not have them...they are great and save a ton of time when adding any accessories

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
you must not have them...they are great and save a ton of time when adding any accessories
Did you completely miss my point? The average person isn't wiring shit into their trucks. Those who are will get the switches. The rest will go "upfitter switches? What the heck are those?"

Make em standard and you're just gonna have a bunch of confused people wondering why that row of switches doesn't seem to do anything.

Sponsored

JDisFlip

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
Your Bronco Model
Base
Everyone needs to order the (“auxiliary switches”)prewired factory switches, in my F250 they are called “upfitter” switches. It makes wiring up any accessory super convenient. Trust me, get the switches! I agree with above, just get the rock lights aftermarket. Ford if you’re reading this...Make “auxiliary switches/upfitter switches” standard on all trucks!

For $195 installed :cool:(y) cool

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I wish they weren't even a factory option. The last thing we need is even more BROS running around with bright ass white "underglow" on the streets. Easy install for those who need them.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea, it's not like everyone is going to have the same choice of accessories or locations. It's just a box under the hood so you don't have to go through the trouble of running wires through the firewall yourself. The rest is up to the individual.
Good to know. I don't mind wiring stuff up at all but wanted to avoid drilling thru the firewall. If we can hook them up to a common box under the hood that is tied to our switch panel then I will do it myself as well.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Good to know. I don't mind wiring stuff up at all but wanted to avoid drilling thru the firewall. If we can hook them up to a common box under the hood that is tied to our switch panel then I will do it myself as well.
Yup that's exactly what it is. I think the trucks even have some additional pass through wires run from the box to the kick panel so you can use the switches to control an interior accessory while maintaining the simplified wiring process.

Last edited:

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wouldn't buy them from Ford. I also wouldn't buy them unless I needed them.

I see lots of "reasons" online for them but I feel most just get them for looks. I don't think the help the driver much. The only times they might help is for a spotter at night, if you get stuck at night, or need a repair at night. Even then it's mostly overkill that a good flashlight wouldn't replace.

icavedin

Base
First Name
Ami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 4runner, '91 318iS, '07 4runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wouldn't buy them from Ford. I also wouldn't buy them unless I needed them.

I see lots of "reasons" online for them but I feel most just get them for looks. I don't think the help the driver much. The only times they might help is for a spotter at night, if you get stuck at night, or need a repair at night. Even then it's mostly overkill that a good flashlight wouldn't replace.
hot take: rock lights are the wheeler bro equivalent of JDM cars running bright red tow hooks.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All of the optional lighting that is available in B&P seems to be priced way too high.

I'm waiting for aftermarket on any lighting I add.