Rock rails usable as jack hardpoint?

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
One of the first mods I did on my Mustang was adding some underbody rails that bolted over the jacking hardpoints. These have been super helpful because I can jack one whole side of the car up at once to swap wheels, instead of having to do it four times on four different hardpoints.

I'm wondering if the OEM rock rails on the Bronco will be usable in the same way? Or would jacking from the rock rails damage the body of the vehicle?

Advertisement

bbqbronco

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT
Hm it's probably not the best idea since they're body mounted. They're meant for protection and turning the vehicle in tight spots. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

McCracken

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 FX4
Clubs

They say the are mounted to the structure of the body, and can take the weight of the vehicle (rumor), but I've never used the body of a vehicle for a jack point, and I would not advise using the rail as a jack point either. It would be like using a running board...
Use the frame, less risk of damage.

damarble

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Sport Trac
It's very common to do that with aftermarket rock rails. If Ford actually patterned them after what people really use, then we should be able to.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tacoma, 2016 Camaro, 2018 Indian
Clubs

They are mounted to the body. Use at your own discretion. I wouldn't.

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
I’m hoping the frame will be stiff enough that when you raise the rear wheel the front wheel comes with it. Had a bunch of German cars like that & made life simpler.

MrJoe

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco, '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Clubs

They did say the rock rails were designed to handle the weight of the vehicle. I wouldn't hesitate to try it, in a pinch.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 DCSB TRD Tacoma
Hmmm... if they can’t be used for a highlift that’s one more reason to swap them for proper sliders. I’ll be watching the aftermarket closely on this.

We should add this to the next super whatever east coast event. How does that work? Anybody going to the next event?

Economisto

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.semiramisusa.com
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mistubishi Montero, 2013 Audi S5
Clubs

Pretty sure someone said you could rotate the whole vehicle from one pivot point of the rock rail without issues. I would wait to see it done first by real users before you try to use it as a jack.

Advertisement

Advertisement