Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A few other threads suggest that the rock rails that are standard on the Badlands might be at least partially mounted to the body and not the frame.

Ford Bronco Rock rails vs. powder-coated side steps badlands

The options codes include an entry for 18D Tube Step - Powder Coated, which is standard on the Outer Banks.

Ford Bronco Rock rails vs. powder-coated side steps outerbanks

Is it safe to assume those are mutually exclusive but that they are probably installed using the same mount points (for good or for bad)?

I'm asking because I suspect that if I put the Squatch package on my Badlands, the height of the 35s is going to be enough to require the steps for my wife to get in the passenger side. Yeah, tube steps are generally not rock rails and are low enough to impede clearance when on the trail.

For my FJ, however, I have the factory rails and just one N-fab step on the passenger that I can quickly remove when I hit the trail.

Ford Bronco Rock rails vs. powder-coated side steps N-FAB_JPTS32

Would be nice to have a similar solution for the Bronco, a slider-step combo, at least eventually. While I'd rather just keep the factory rock rails, the concerns over the mount points have me worried enough to wonder whether I should just switch to the factory steps for a while until a better solution is out there.

Any other thoughts on this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it safe to assume those are mutually exclusive but that they are probably installed using the same mount points (for good or for bad)?
It would for manufacturing purposes make sense to use the same mounting points. We can hope it's to the frame.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A few other threads suggest that the rock rails that are standard on the Badlands might be at least partially mounted to the body and not the frame.

The options codes include an entry for 18D Tube Step - Powder Coated, which is standard on the Outer Banks.

I'm asking because I suspect that if I put the Squatch package on my Badlands, the height of the 35s is going to be enough to require the steps for my wife to get in the passenger side. Yeah, tube steps are generally not rock rails and are low enough to impede clearance when on the trail.

For my FJ, however, I have the factory rails and just one N-fab step on the passenger that I can quickly remove when I hit the trail.

Would be nice to have a similar solution for the Bronco, a slider-step combo, at least eventually. While I'd rather just keep the factory rock rails, the concerns over the mount points have me worried enough to wonder whether I should just switch to the factory steps for a while until a better solution is out there.

Any other thoughts on this?
I think this is the standard one on Outer Banks.
Ford Bronco Rock rails vs. powder-coated side steps ob

TankCommander

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F-Type R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a similar question. I want to change my reservation from Outer Banks to Badlands for the 33” tires.

Wife will have issues getting in without steps or running board. I know the Outer Banks comes standard with the powder coated running board and I believe it's an option on the WildTrak.

Do you think the rock rails can be easily removed and the running board installed on the Badlands?

As information this vehicle will not be a rock crawler. Mostly cattle trails and forest roads, dirt to gravel.

Thanks

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a similar question. I want to change my reservation from Outer Banks to Badlands for the 33” tires.

Wife will have issues getting in without steps or running board. I know the Outer Banks comes standard with the powder coated running board and I believe it's an option on the WildTrak.

Do you think the rock rails can be easily removed and the running board installed on the Badlands?

As information this vehicle will not be a rock crawler. Mostly cattle trails and forest roads, dirt to gravel.

Thanks
You should probably just buy 33" tires instead of switching trim levels for your use case.

I'm concerned about factory rock sliders not being true rock sliders/rails. I'm hoping for the best, though. I plan on wheeling by no later than the end of the first year of ownership.

Sponsored
OP
OP
elmystico

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should probably just buy 33" tires instead of switching trim levels for your use case.

I'm concerned about factory rock sliders not being true rock sliders/rails. I'm hoping for the best, though. I plan on wheeling by no later than the end of the first year of ownership.
Yes, same concern I have. I've beat up my factory rails on the trail enough to know that I really don't like the idea of a body mount. But I also hate to wait for a third-party outfit to develop a better alternative. Those things can take years to get to market. I am going to stick with Badlands for all the other trail tools, but am still going back and forth on 33s vs. 35s partially because of this.

But as far as switching to 33s, that's what I have on my FJ now and after adding an OME suspension that lifted it 2.5" as well as going from 265s to 285s, that's when I HAD to get a step on the passenger side for the wife. It's even more helpful for the backseat passenger with the FJ's suicide doors. I suspect anyone trying to use the rear seats in the 2-door Bronco, whether at 33" or 35", might face the same climbing obstacle.

OP
OP
elmystico

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's a market; somebody will make 'em.
Definitely. There is gonna be a monster market for everything Bronco within 2 years. Ford has got to be watching to see if the market for accessories and upgrades can begin to rival that of the Jeeps.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hopefully AMP makes power steps for those of us that don’t need rock sliders
I like the Amp Research, but those will be at least $1500. I think I'll stick with the standard OB step boards and use the savings to help cover the other options and the things on the accessories list that I didn't know I had to have.

Sponsored
OP
OP
elmystico

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Being familiar with N-Fab, and also seeing them represented on the Interactive Garage demo, I checked the install info for their rock rail packages. Their RKR Rails system is a basic tube rail on each side with bolt holes for two steps on each side. If the Interactive Garage is to be believed and these are going to be available for the 2021 Bronco (N-Fab does not mention the Bronco on its site yet), all I will have to do is swap out the Badlands factory rails with N-Fab's, which are easily installed, and add the extra N-Fab RKR step I already have. The steps go on and off with just a few turns of the socket wrench, making it easy to remove them before hitting the trail (and the rocks that might trash them). This solves my concern of having wife-friendly steps on a rig with a 2" lift and 35s.

BUT, it will be interesting to see where N-Fab says to install their rails on the Bronco -- body or frame.

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hopefully AMP makes power steps for those of us that don’t need rock sliders
Sure! I reserved a Badlands 2 door, because THAT'S WHAT I WANT. I will run trails and country roads, but I'll never run rocky terrain! So, my wife is a tiny 4' 10", and she could never get in the Bronco, without a step (or could she get in any of the three Wranglers that I have had). I hate that I will need to remove the Rail, but I intend to add a good Power Step package (I guess from AMP), because they fold up to look similar to a rock rail... they aren't kinda nasty looking, in a fixed and lowered position. Well, I did a bit of research on AMP, and they no longer offer a Power Step for a 2 door JL series (I expect because at about only 5% of Jeep sales, there isn't enough market). Best I can tell looking at the Bronco reservation list, about 30% of these reservations are for the 2 door. I guess we'll have to wait to see our options.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I expect SOS Concepts to have true sliders that kick out as sliders should ready soon after they have one to fit to.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Don't know where some of you live, but I had a set of powder coated on my F250. They rusted out within 5 years...

Willow

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Thanks
[/QUOTE. I have a question, for Badlands, it has running board and rock rails. Can someone describe what it means? My dealer said it has steps but my husband said no. ??????
Sponsored