Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those that have truly used rock sliders to bang around on, do you think Ford connecting their rock sliders partially to the pinch welds is acceptable?
Sponsored

Lexo52

Big Bend
First Name
Arlexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
From videos iv seen of the rails in use they seem to hold up.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s more than just a pinch seem bolt. There is a beefy bracket that helps spread the load. I didn’t feel like I trusted them on a big drop on a rock so I went with a frame welded option.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The factory "rock rails" do not offer the necessary protection for use as an actual slider. They do not stick out far enough to protect the body from damage. I am not a fan of the mounting system. I will be doing frame mounted actual sliders.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If the sliders are mounted to the body, the additional mounting to the pinch weld should be ok.

Now if you are frame mounting them, they can't be attached to the body since the body and frame flex.

Sponsored

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If the sliders are mounted to the body, the additional mounting to the pinch weld should be ok.

Now if you are frame mounting them, they can't be attached to the body since the body and frame flex.
That makes me nervous about the GOAT fab option then. They haven’t been real clear yet on their plans, but recent post from them seem to indicate they will be doing both attaching to body and frame

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That makes me nervous about the GOAT fab option then. They haven’t been real clear yet on their plans, but recent post from them seem to indicate they will be doing both attaching to body and frame
I actually saw that same post after I had responded to this one. We'll see what they say. I could be wrong with my understanding, but if they wanted the two to be tied together, they wouldn't have put rubber in between the body and the frame.

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST/ 2019 F350 CC DRW 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

After watching LiteBrite vid of Kevin landing on his factory rock rails, the wheeling I'll be doing, the factory pinch/body mounted rails will work for me. I know he has since changed his out to beefier ones, but still mounted with pinch/body mounts. Time will tell as he wheels their Bronco more, how this mounting will hold up. He's not shy on where he puts his vehicle so I feel he'll have the best perspective on this setup.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

After watching LiteBrite vid of Kevin landing on his factory rock rails, the wheeling I'll be doing, the factory pinch/body mounted rails will work for me. I know he has since changed his out to beefier ones, but still mounted with pinch/body mounts. Time will tell as he wheels their Bronco more, how this mounting will hold up. He's not shy on where he puts his vehicle so I feel he'll have the best perspective on this setup.
I'm with you, partially. I think people that look down on body mount rails versus frame rails are not taking a lot of factors in the consideration. For example anyone that isn't trying to climb over boulders the size of your vehicle :)

However what's not really debatable, is the fact that factory rock rails don't really protect the sides. Especially on the Bronco because it sticks out wider.

For me, Rock rails are for the sides/lower panels and skid plates are for the bottom.

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST/ 2019 F350 CC DRW 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

However what's not really debatable, is the fact that factory rock rails don't really protect the sides. Especially on the Bronco because it sticks out wider.

For me, Rock rails are for the sides/lower panels and skid plates are for the bottom.
I can agree with that. The first set of rails/sliders that Kevin was prototyping, he said the same thing about the coverage for the doors. Next Venture Motorsports went back and modified them and second set has the coverage for the doors. If I see the need, the NVM sliders will be the ones I go with. Nice product.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would like a show of hands as to those who have actually drug, scraped, pivoted your rockers on a rock. I have done moderately severe four wheeling most of my long life and have done that only with a belly dragging Jeep Commando or a long wheelbase pick up with hangy down step rails. Unless you are doing serious rock crawling (fewer than 1% I would bet) it's kina academic. I got the Ford rails, they are rated for the vehicle weight but more importantly cover the pinch weld and protect the lower rocker from an errant stick, log or rock that pops up unexpectantly.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would like a show of hands as to those who have actually drug, scraped, pivoted your rockers on a rock. ...
Yes.

I would prefer to avoid it, but sometimes a tire slips or the rock/soil gives out or rolls and that armor is what lets you keep going instead of ending your day.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would like a show of hands as to those who have actually drug, scraped, pivoted your rockers on a rock. I have done moderately severe four wheeling most of my long life and have done that only with a belly dragging Jeep Commando or a long wheelbase pick up with hangy down step rails. Unless you are doing serious rock crawling (fewer than 1% I would bet) it's kina academic. I got the Ford rails, they are rated for the vehicle weight but more importantly cover the pinch weld and protect the lower rocker from an errant stick, log or rock that pops up unexpectantly.

Very true but I think you forgot about the trees and stumps and things protruding out the sides of tight trails.

Funny how most people jump to rock crawling as the go to reasoning (aka.. unless you're doing serious rock crawling...)

I mean you listen to people and it's either your climbing over boulders, or you're driving through the mall. There's no in between.

There are alot more places to take your off road vehicle than up the side of a mountain ;)

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

True, but I think the stock Ford rails would be up to that task.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just would like a more permanent way to protect the pinch welds. I agree they look bad exposed.
Sponsored