www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Attention:

Ford Bronco Rockymounts BackStage 2: Initial Thoughts 1632925605053

I took delivery of my 4 door Badlands last week! I had actually purchased the Rockymounts bike rack before I had my Bronco, but had an opportunity to test fit it on another Bronco in order to determine the minimum length hitch extension I would need to clear the spare.

Bottom Line: I like it. As far as I know it's the best option, certainly the best value, on the market currently that will allow full access to the rear storage without removal of the bikes and/or rack. Even at ~$795 it is either cheaper or on parity with other standard bike racks coupled with a ~$350 swing out adapter (Saris makes both). I prefer the integrated design but if you plan to have other hitch mounted accessories where a swing out adapter would be handy then perhaps that would make more sense.

What's needed?: You will need a hitch extension to clear the spare. After a test fit I determined I could get away with only a 5 or 6 inch extension. Unfortunately because of the necessary overlap, hitch extensions can only be made so short. 7" is the shortest I can find commonly, though I saw a very expensive 6.5" option (solid steel). The shorter the better (to reduce the force multiplier of the extension) but I opted for the much more economical 7" option.

What's optional?: I opted to buy an anti rattle hitch shim device for the hitch extension. The Rockymounts bike rack has that feature integrated which is awesome but it will go to waste if you do not get one for the hitch extension as well. Rockymounts offers an extension with their same anti rattle feature but it is 12" and fairly expensive. I say go the shorter/cheaper route.

I have only taken this rack out for one drive with bikes loaded. I will need to take it on many more, particularly off-road to fully vouch for everything. So far there is no rattle, the swaying and bouncing is not excessive in my opinion. The Rack is designed in such a way that the cantilevered section does not bear load while in retracted position (driving). This is critical in my mind for ensuring longevity of the cantilevered mechanism and keeping the bouncing in check. Time will tell how well it holds up to static load when unfolded as designed.

Loading/unloading the bikes is simple. There is only one ratchet strap per bike, for each rear tire. For the front tire there is a back stop and a long ratcheting arm that pulls down on the tire/fork.

Ground clearance is maintained. Obviously the departure angle is reduced. There are high clearance bike racks that may retain the full Bronco spec. But in my opinion that is not worth the hassle of loading, or the compromised cargo access. I don't plan to do hardcore wheeling with the bikes on, but will certainly take it done mild/moderate trails. Additionally, with the bikes removed you can easily flip up the rack to gain some departure angle back.

You may be curios about the mountain bikes. Spoiler alert, the model name (of which I am a huge fan) was the inspiration for my username. Pretty cool custom project to convert my old 26ers to modern slack 27.5/29er shredders. (PSA Mongoose used to make sweet bikes, not the kind you find at Walmart)

Photo dump below:
Ford Bronco Rockymounts BackStage 2: Initial Thoughts 1632925487472

Ford Bronco Rockymounts BackStage 2: Initial Thoughts 1632925552146

Ford Bronco Rockymounts BackStage 2: Initial Thoughts 1632925644681

Ford Bronco Rockymounts BackStage 2: Initial Thoughts 1632925658212

Note: Plenty of clearance between the spare and roofline. They just don't have shorter adapters than this.
Ford Bronco Rockymounts BackStage 2: Initial Thoughts 1632925671684

Note: Wow, look at that flex! I admit this does not look pretty, I think it will hold up though, just don't drive like this! Keep in mind there is also a hitch extension which introduced a bit more slop to the system.

Ford Bronco Rockymounts BackStage 2: Initial Thoughts 1632925687677

Note: The gate is sitting at it's 90° rest position but you can open it past 90° before the tire hits the bike pedal.

Ford Bronco Rockymounts BackStage 2: Initial Thoughts 1632925716742

Note: There is a pivot both for the cantilevered arm, and the bike rack on the arm, so the bikes can swivel independently from the cantilevered arm.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bet you don't get this very often but, nice rack! That Bronco is not to bad looking either.

(PSA Mongoose used to make sweet bikes, not the kind you find at Walmart)
I had a Mongoose Switchback way back in the 90's that I remember saving money all summer to buy from the specialty bike shop. Put that thing trough the paces and it took everything I threw at it. Was surprised many years later when I stumbled across them in Walmart.

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon XLT 1500 4x4, Jeep Liberty Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for an awesome right up. I have a 2019 Trek Marlin 6 in the pearlescent blue that should match the Velocity Blue of my BL well. While the droop when the frame is extended out is could be a concern it is hard to put that kinda weight out that far from the hitch without some flex. I do like the second pivot point so if you need to open the tailgate wider you can.

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the write up! This looks really good. I haven't received my Bronco yet and don't use a rack now. I just hang my bike over the tailgate on my F150. I had been looking at the 1UP rack and those seem to be really highly regarded. Did you look at those, and is there any particular reason you picked the RockyMounts rack over 1UP?

Sponsored
OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the write up! This looks really good. I haven't received my Bronco yet and don't use a rack now. I just hang my bike over the tailgate on my F150. I had been looking at the 1UP rack and those seem to be really highly regarded. Did you look at those, and is there any particular reason you picked the RockyMounts rack over 1UP?
I did look at 1Up, they are well regarded, and also not cheap, not that the Rockymounts was either. Main reason was that I would have to get a separate swing out hitch adapter (the RakAttach). The 1Up Equip-D double is almost as expensive as the Rockymounts and the swing away adapter puts it another ~350 over. All together it may be a better package, but the Rockmounts doesn't look or feel cheap either so I couldnt justify paying so much more.

EquusBronsis

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Porsche Macan GTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've been sporting a Rockymounts Split Rail for the last four years. Great rack! Recently I was rear ended with the rack on and in up position. It took the brunt of the impact, I could drive off with little damage to my car; the other car not so lucky. Insurance replaced rack with version 2. Even better with a threaded bolt through the receiver compared to sliding shim on older version. Guess I'm going to need an extension also. Maybe thread it vs shims. I have their roof rack also.

PS Great company to deal with!

t_bucket

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have this rack for my jeep, and have used it both on the jeep and on the back of my teardrop trailer. It has been great over the last few years I have owned it. It has gone a couple thousand miles with no issues, even on the rough trails of Big Bend Ranch State Park. It has been great to be able to open the back gate while in the jeep, and swing it out of the way on the teardrop trailer to open the kitchen up without unloading bikes.

IMG_6699.jpg

TravisD

Wildtrak
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'll be getting a hitch extension for my kuat rack. I'll have to measure the gap like you did to avoid adding extra wiggle. Well done!

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did look at 1Up, they are well regarded, and also not cheap, not that the Rockymounts was either. Main reason was that I would have to get a separate swing out hitch adapter (the RakAttach). The 1Up Equip-D double is almost as expensive as the Rockymounts and the swing away adapter puts it another ~350 over. All together it may be a better package, but the Rockmounts doesn't look or feel cheap either so I couldnt justify paying so much more.
Thanks, that explanation makes perfect sense! I had looked at Kuat and 1Up specifically, but I hadn't really looked at RockyMount. It looks great!

Sponsored

SasBLSven

Badlands
First Name
Steen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm happy to see this post. Thank you for sharing. I've been curious about bike racks for the Bronco. Wonder how much bounce and sway you write get with a 4 bike setup?

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm happy to see this post. Thank you for sharing. I've been curious about bike racks for the Bronco. Wonder how much bounce and sway you write get with a 4 bike setup?
I don't know if they have a 4 bike version. For that you might have to get a standard 4 bike rack and a separate swing out hitch adapter. In that case you might not need the extension as long as the swing out adapter itself can fit under the spare.

SasBLSven

Badlands
First Name
Steen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't know if they have a 4 bike version. For that you might have to get a standard 4 bike rack and a separate swing out hitch adapter. In that case you might not need the extension as long as the swing out adapter itself can fit under the spare.
I'm thinking of other manufacturers as well

El Duderino

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4DR MIC 2.0 Big Bend (2.3) A51
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What's needed?: You will need a hitch extension to clear the spare. After a test fit I determined I could get away with only a 5 or 6 inch extension. Unfortunately because of the necessary overlap, hitch extensions can only be made so short. 7" is the shortest I can find commonly, though I saw a very expensive 6.5" option (solid steel). The shorter the better (to reduce the force multiplier of the extension) but I opted for the much more economical 7" option.

What's optional?: I opted to buy an anti rattle hitch shim device for the hitch extension. The Rockymounts bike rack has that feature integrated which is awesome but it will go to waste if you do not get one for the hitch extension as well. Rockymounts offers an extension with their same anti rattle feature but it is 12" and fairly expensive. I say go the shorter/cheaper route.
Just discovered this write up and it affirmed my decision to go with the BackStage. How's it been holding up? Any trip reports?

Perhaps I misread or missed it entirely, but what did you go with for the hitch extension? I see Rockymounts now offers an 8" (not sure if that's new since your initial write-up) with the anti rattle feature, but I'm curious what you went with for the "shorter/cheaper route."

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just discovered this write up and it affirmed my decision to go with the BackStage. How's it been holding up? Any trip reports?

Perhaps I misread or missed it entirely, but what did you go with for the hitch extension? I see Rockymounts now offers an 8" (not sure if that's new since your initial write-up) with the anti rattle feature, but I'm curious what you went with for the "shorter/cheaper route."
It is holding up great so far. Took it on a roadtrip to Moab UT and back, as well as another trip to the UP. I obviously took the rack off when I did the harder wheeling as it reduced the departure angle and I had no need to haul the bikes locally while doing those trails.

I ended up going with a 7" extension on amazon. Like I said, you can get away with shorter in theory but it doesn't exist in the real world, each end of the adapter needs a certain amount of overlap. The Rockymounts style adapter probably has a better locking feature, but I ended up getting one of those shim/bolt sets for the adapter to keep it from rocking. It helps a ton over just a straight pin, but it will work loose over time so periodically check on it. Not loose enough to fall out, but loose as in excessive rocking back and forth. I also added a bit of tape around the adapter just to take up a smidge more excess gap between it and the receiver.

I also recommend putting a rag or napkin between the bike rim and the strap for long and/rough trips. It will help keep that strap from scratching and marring the rim/stickers. That is the case for basically any rack though.
Sponsored