Sponsored

Roof rack and compatibility / weight ratings for a roof-top tent?

Valhalla_Overland

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota Tacoma DCSB OR
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Has anyone seen any information on the roof rack and compatibility/weight ratings for a roof-top tent? Specifically for the 4-door FE. I'd be trading in a Tacoma and already have a RTT that I want to transfer over.
Sponsored

JJBulldawg

Base
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Lariat, 2006 Harley Ultra, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wonder what not offered with 315s is about? H9w do tires impact roof load?

OP
OP
Valhalla_Overland

Valhalla_Overland

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota Tacoma DCSB OR
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Found it! Static: 450 | Dynamic: 110
Ford Bronco Roof rack and compatibility / weight ratings for a roof-top tent? 1594784532149
And this begs the question "How much does an average rooftop tent weigh?" Two adults that weigh anything close to what my fat ass does are already going to exceed the static roof load rating. If the RTT weighs very much more than "nothing," you're screwed.

Sponsored

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For the Jeep crowd, there are several companies that offer additional steel bracing for the inside of the removable top that transfer the load into the bedsides. Some tie into the sport bar. I'd imagine it won't take long for similar to be developed for the Bronco. A lot of the RTTs can be 150 lbs on their own. So you'd only have 300 pounds for yourself, gear or companions. May have to wait for the aftermarket to jump in here for a RTT. Some of the aftermarket Jeep racks are more along the lines of 900 lbs static and 300 lbs dynamic.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well I am 300 and my tent is 120 and my wife is um.... anyways we need it to be closer to 900 just to be safe. Otherwise I will have to fix up my trailer to put it on.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
For the Jeep crowd, there are several companies that offer additional steel bracing for the inside of the removable top that transfer the load into the bedsides. Some tie into the sport bar. I'd imagine it won't take long for similar to be developed for the Bronco. A lot of the RTTs can be 150 lbs on their own. So you'd only have 300 pounds for yourself, gear or companions. May have to wait for the aftermarket to jump in here for a RTT. Some of the aftermarket Jeep racks are more along the lines of 900 lbs static and 300 lbs dynamic.
This is what i expect to see. I think Ford is just playing it safe with some of these numbers. They don't want people to get too carried away, but aren't dumb. They showed the thing jumping in their videos and they dont want some one sending the thing through the air with hundreds of pounds on the roof. But They've clearly been watching Jeep. We all know the aftermarket will have solutions to everything before long

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As mentioned, it’s just a matter of time before the aftermarket solves all these problems.
Here’s the rack I have on my JKU.
J104948?obj=car&wid=1200&hei=900&sharpen=1.jpg

Kargo Master Congo Pro. Bypasses the top altogether. Good for 850lbs.
That said, the Mrs and I come in under 300lbs combined, so.....

Sponsored

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As mentioned, it’s just a matter of time before the aftermarket solves all these problems.
Here’s the rack I have on my JKU.
Ford Bronco Roof rack and compatibility / weight ratings for a roof-top tent? J104948?obj=car&wid=1200&hei=900&sharpen=1

Kargo Master Congo Pro. Bypasses the top altogether. Good for 850lbs.
That said, the Mrs and I come in under 300lbs combined, so.....
Yeah, I'm hoping some of the shops doing work on Jeeps decide to come over to the Bronco as well. I had several things from Maximus-3 on my list (their low-pro roof rack that ties into the sport bar especially) had I pulled the trigger on a JLUR instead of waiting on the Bronco.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I'm hoping some of the shops doing work on Jeeps decide to come over to the Bronco as well. I had several things from Maximus-3 on my list (their low-pro roof rack that ties into the sport bar especially) had I pulled the trigger on a JLUR instead of waiting on the Bronco.
I would think that from a pure business standpoint, any shop/manufacturer that is in the Jeep accessory business would be foolish *not* to diversify into the Bronco business.

There's going to be significant commonality between consumer desire, deign aesthetics, materials, advertising, sourcing, etc etc etc.

Sure, you have to learn a new platform, but assuming a lot of Bronco owners are going to already be familiar with the Jeep aftermarket, if you don't diversify you're going to be left in the dust. If I made aftermarket jeep parts, I'd be salivating right now at the prospect of expanding my market.

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love my GOBI rack but at the time I bought it, it was a 5 month wait time to have it made. I don't think I would do that again. Hopefully some companies like CBI will make some racks available more quickly.
Ford Bronco Roof rack and compatibility / weight ratings for a roof-top tent? 20180502_191225

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My tent is 130 and myself, the gf, and the two dogs weigh about 335 collectively. So sitting at 465 altogether.
Hell I weigh that much fully dressed ? My tuff stuff ranger tent handles me and the wife just fine on my home made 96 bronco rack.
Ford Bronco Roof rack and compatibility / weight ratings for a roof-top tent? DSCN0481.JPG
Ford Bronco Roof rack and compatibility / weight ratings for a roof-top tent? DSCN0478.JPG
Sponsored