Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
heinous, do better.

does anyone know whether the SMS Exposed Racks will support a tent? probably no...
They certainly will. Just need to have the top down all the way. I’m thinking of just going that way. At the moment I’m only going fishing or camping when the weather looks nice. Throw the GFC Superlite on and go!
Sponsored

dsco

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They certainly will. Just need to have the top down all the way. I’m thinking of just going that way. At the moment I’m only going fishing or camping when the weather looks nice. Throw the GFC Superlite on and go!
perfect, so if the exposed rack supports a tent, then the problem to solve would be what to put underneath to protect the interior -- could it be as simple as a tarp or raincover idk

Still sounds like it might be a hassle to install, remove, and still use soft top

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
perfect, so if the exposed rack supports a tent, then the problem to solve would be what to put underneath to protect the interior -- could it be as simple as a tarp or raincover idk

Still sounds like it might be a hassle to install, remove, and still use soft top
You keep the rails on 24/7. They sit under the soft top.

I was thinking bimini/bikini top + cargo cover of some sort.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Look, as long as you don't need them on all the time, simple solution. I had some I'd bought years ago and used on a Toyota minivan. They had big feet for the surface and then hold down/tie down straps to hook to whatever you can find.

So you could put those up on the top over the roll bars, or with the top down, strap them down and you're good to go. Remove when you get home.

Zap74

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3. Volkswagen Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here ya go!

27457F56-4C9B-4F5F-9418-760E5B59D8D4.jpeg

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Fastback, 2011 Ford Mustang G
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

heinous, do better.

does anyone know whether the SMS Exposed Racks will support a tent? probably no...
It might but what would you do if it rains? Your soft top needs to be open to use the exposed racks. That's my biggest concern with those racks.

dsco

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It might but what would you do if it rains? Your soft top needs to be open to use the exposed racks. That's my biggest concern with those racks.
That's the problem we're all trying to solve. As @redone17 said in an earlier post, we're only going camping and fishing when the weather's nice...I'm paraphrasing.

I live in New England, so that's like two days a year, sometime between June and August.

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's the problem we're all trying to solve. As @redone17 said in an earlier post, we're only going camping and fishing when the weather's nice...I'm paraphrasing.

I live in New England, so that's like two days a year, sometime between June and August.
I think that's the beauty of let's call them portable racks. You can pull them off when you want, stuff them in back. Put them on without the top up, or with....you have flexibility.

GSchmitz

Outer Banks
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
77 bronco, 06 ram 3500, 2011 fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's basically what I want to do but my canoe is 16 feet long. I think it's a bit too long for just that so I'm looking for something to go in front and support it there and then use the front fender attachment points for tie downs.
I have been thinking of a front and rear receiver wit
h the same concept but connecting front to back to carry my 14 ft kayak

Banshee

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 4wp concept had a bracket for a soft top roof rack, but that hasn't happened. Anybody know of anything that's available yet?
Seems like a good opportunity since 90% of broncos will have soft tops for the next year or so.
I know it's not for everyone, but I carried my canoe with the top down this past weekend and it worked great. Use noodles, or in this case pipe insulation to pad the gunnel on the A pillar. I covered the B pillar, that says "Bronco", with felt RV stair covers from Walmart ($20). They were perfect size. Front strap secured to brush bar or trail guides, rear strap to tow loop, mid strap on B pillar.

IMG_0951.jpg

IceSoldier88

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d be happy with a rack taby went on while the top off. I plan to mostly run a sun cover all summer.

Juicy

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Door Basesquatch, Corvette C7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs