Sponsored

Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ?

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We've all seen multiple posts and discussion on the inability to put a roof rack on a Sasquatch package . They're pretty clear that it has to do with weight capacity , but it may mostly be the tires!?

So, if you look at pg. 12 of the Bronco Equipment Installation Guide, released on Bronco Nation Today, theres a table on Roof Rack Load Capacity:
In motion: 110lbs
Stationary: 450lb
315/70R17 tires: 0

An Explanation: If you look at the specs on those Goodyear Territory tires, you'll see that they are the softer "C" rated tires, with weight capacity of a measly 2535 pounds! Thats weak for a loaded vehicle, same as the stock OBX tires. But that explains the capacity issue, ITS THE TIRES! A fix would be to upgrade to an E rated tire, get a rack, and move on. Im guessing that the suspension components are pretty beefy, the tires seem like the weak link in the design chain. E rated tires are heavier, and a harsher ride.

Clearly Ford wants its Sasquatch to be comfortable, and this may be part of the design compromises on a vehicle with 35" tires (actually, Theyre 34.4" tires) extra machinery, armor plating, and soft tires . . . When theres the extra weight of 4 doors, 2.7 engine, auto trans

Any thoughts?
2535# per tire x 4 = 10140# total load capacity, the tires are not the limiting factor in this equation on a vehicle that weighs 5320# max. Ford uses the same C spec tires on 5750# Raptors with a cargo capacity of 1400# and tow capacity of 8200#, no problems with weight there.

I wouldn’t want harder riding E rated tires capable of holding 12800# on a vehicle as light as a new Bronco. My 5500# 87 Bronco rode like crap on D rated tires, it was just right when I went back to 315/70R17 BFG’s that were C rated. I am very pleased that Ford specked C rated tires. For years most of the larger tires in 17” have only been available in E rated, the same is still true in 18 and 20”, they ride like crap on lighter vehicles.

Bronco weights:
Ford Bronco Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ? EB8058E4-7E9E-4ABE-816C-844437138C2E

Raptor specs:
Ford Bronco Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ? 7C3203F1-FAA7-4371-8F77-AEC0A731A2E2
Ford Bronco Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ? A798F825-E058-43A0-A5B1-3D823AB961D8
Sponsored

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We've all seen multiple posts and discussion on the inability to put a roof rack on a Sasquatch package . They're pretty clear that it has to do with weight capacity , but it may mostly be the tires!?

So, if you look at pg. 12 of the Bronco Equipment Installation Guide, theres a table on Roof Rack

Load Capacity:

An Explanation: If you look at the specs on those Goodyear Territory tires, you'll see that they are the softer "C" rated tires, with weight capacity of a measly 2535 pounds! Thats weak for a loaded vehicle, same as the stock OBX tires. But that explains the capacity issue, ITS THE TIRES! A fix would be to upgrade to an E rated tire, get a rack, and move on. Im guessing that the suspension components are pretty beefy, the tires seem like the weak link in the design chain. E rated tires are heavier, and a harsher ride.

Clearly Ford wants its Sasquatch to be comfortable, and this may be part of the design compromises on a vehicle with 35" tires (actually, Theyre 34.4" tires) extra machinery, armor plating, and soft tires . . . When theres the extra weight of 4 doors, 2.7 engine, auto trans

Any thoughts?

Ford Bronco Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ? A798F825-E058-43A0-A5B1-3D823AB961D8

Good research! I guess this explains why I couldn't configure my OBX Sasquatch with the cargo area protective liner! That's one heavy liner! 🤣

Actually, I got my dealer to get me the liner at B&P price vice accessory catalog price because of that dumb conflict. Took delivery yesterday!

Ford Bronco Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ? 39667

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Are the 285/70R17 All-Terrain on the Badlands E Rated? If so, are they good to go?
Great Question!
No, Badlands tires are C rated OEM. The 33" Wrangler Territory 285/70R17 is rated at 2755 lbs, and the 33" BF Goodrich KO2 are also 2755#. But both are 220 pounds higher than the 35" Wrangler Territory Sasquatch tire rated at 2535#! Maybe thats why a roof rack is allowed on non-sas Badlands: the smaller 33" C tires have more capacity than the larger 35" tires.

SmartSelect_20211016-134102_Chrome.jpg

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Let me clear all this hyperbole up for you....

None of what is being said is true....you can order a Wildtrak with the roof rack......which is stock with the 2.7 and sasquatch.

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, if you look at pg. 12 of the Bronco Equipment Installation Guide, theres a table on Roof Rack

Load Capacity:

Any thoughts?

Ford Bronco Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ? SmartSelect_20211016-134102_Chrome

Ford Bronco Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ? SmartSelect_20211016-134102_Chrome
I like your theory. Also want to add Ford specs 39psi, 4 more than the max inflation. Load rating increases with tire pressure.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great Question!
No, Badlands tires are C rated OEM. The 33" Wrangler Territory 285/70R17 is rated at 2755 lbs, and the 33" BF Goodrich KO2 are also 2755#. But both are 220 pounds higher than the 35" Wrangler Territory Sasquatch tire rated at 2535#! Maybe thats why a roof rack is allowed on non-sas Badlands: the smaller 33" C tires have more capacity than the larger 35" tires.
You really think that a combined capacity of 11020# on the C rated Badlands vs 10140# on Sasquatch makes the difference on a 5300# vehicle? The GVWR max of a 4 door Bronco is 6180#, GCWR 8840#, either tire is more than capable of taking the weight at just over half of their load capacity. I would guess the difference is the extra weight on the roof of a taller truck could lead to instability increasing the risk of rollover.

Ford Bronco Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ? D2022933-A09C-431B-92D9-7F7002AEBA03

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You really think that a combined capacity of 11020# on the C rated Badlands vs 10140# on Sasquatch makes the difference on a 5300# vehicle? The GVWR max of a 4 door Bronco is 6180#, GCWR 8840#, either tire is more than capable of taking the weight at just over half of their load capacity. I would guess the difference is the extra weight on the roof of a taller truck could lead to instability increasing the risk of rollover.

Ford Bronco Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ? D2022933-A09C-431B-92D9-7F7002AEBA03
I don't think anything, but Ford obviously has a thought about why they specifically exclude the 315/70R17 tires from the roof rack. Your explanation is plausible, but Ford puts Lift Me signs on its vehicles, but there are no warnings about roof rack and tip overs. Regarding tire capacity, the Sasquatch tires are the lowest capacity and when off-roading, aired down, do need extra capacity when the vehicle is on 2-3 tires. So I'm not sold on your explanation as the only factor, but I'm no expert.

I do agree about the choice of C over E tires for comfort, and I can't find C rated tires for my 18"OBX wheels, and will probably have to get 17" wheels to place larger tires.

I wish someone would get Ford to explain; its quite possible its a combination of all of our reasons.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Let me clear all this hyperbole up for you....

None of what is being said is true....you can order a Wildtrak with the roof rack......which is stock with the 2.7 and sasquatch.
We're talking about 4dr, not 2dr.
This is Ford's chart, not mine.
And I just looked on the 2022 configurator, and you're correct. Is this a change for 2022, or what's going on?

Ford Bronco Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ? SmartSelect_20211016-093314_Drive

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We're talking about 4dr, not 2dr.
This is Ford's chart, not mine.
And I just looked on the 2022 configurator, and you're correct. Is this a change for 2022, or what's going on?

SmartSelect_20211016-093314_Drive.jpg
That is correct, four door! No problem ordering it on Wildtrak. You can’t have the skid plates and you can’t have the rear cargo mat. But, yes, you can have the roof rack with a squatch and a 2.7.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This thread reminded me of a tire review thread from Feb... around 4:30 the guy talks about the softness and is able to press in and squeeze the tire by hand.

The OEM Sas tire is definitely a compromise of competing interests. I mean a max PSI of 35 just about says it all. Nice and squishy like a pair of Crocs.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/goodyear-territory-mt-review-sasquatch-tire.13020/
Max PSI of 35?? Get outta here...lol
Where the fuck did you get that?
The recommended normal, everyday PSI for a Sasquatch equipped Bronco is 39 psi

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That is correct, four door! No problem ordering it on Wildtrak. You can’t have the skid plates and you can’t have the rear cargo mat. But, yes, you can have the roof rack with a squatch and a 2.7.
Ahhhh! So skid plates are not standard on Wildtrack, so on that model, you can choose your weight!

CookinWithGas

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Farm trucks
Your Bronco Model
Base
Max PSI of 35?? Get outta here...lol
Where the fuck did you get that?
The recommended normal, everyday PSI for a Sasquatch equipped Bronco is 39 psi
I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt while you re-read the thread to answer your own question. (y)

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

THIS ... But for a MIC. Hopefully aftermarket Will come out with something very similar to this, maybe even with the metal braces inside that will support much more weight.

Of course it'll probably cost an arm and a leg. I'm ordering the roof rack on my WT, but if something like this comes out I'll just sell my roof rack... I have a feeling there's a few buyers out there that'll take me up on the offer ;)

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

THIS ... But for a MIC. Hopefully aftermarket Will come out with something very similar to this, maybe even with the metal braces inside that will support much more weight.

Of course it'll probably cost an arm and a leg. I'm ordering the roof rack on my WT, but if something like this comes out I'll just sell my roof rack... I have a feeling there's a few buyers out there that'll take me up on the offer ;)
Whats your status? 2021 or 2022? It'll be alot easier talking about a vehicle we actually have!
Sponsored