Sponsored

Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ?

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's not the tires, they're just using that to denote the sasquatch package as a whole.

In that document there is a field for how much accessory weight they allow for each trim. For first editions it's very tiny.
Sponsored

cgguy68

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We've all seen multiple posts and discussion on the inability to put a roof rack on a Sasquatch package . They're pretty clear that it has to do with weight capacity , but it may mostly be the tires!?

So, if you look at pg. 12 of the Bronco Equipment Installation Guide, theres a table on Roof Rack

Load Capacity:
In motion: 110lbs
Stationary: 450lb
315/70R17 tires: 0

An Explanation: If you look at the specs on those Goodyear Territory tires, you'll see that they are the softer "C" rated tires, with weight capacity of a measly 2535 pounds! Thats weak for a loaded vehicle, same as the stock OBX tires. But that explains the capacity issue, ITS THE TIRES! A fix would be to upgrade to an E rated tire, get a rack, and move on. Im guessing that the suspension components are pretty beefy, the tires seem like the weak link in the design chain. E rated tires are heavier, and a harsher ride.

Clearly Ford wants its Sasquatch to be comfortable, and this may be part of the design compromises on a vehicle with 35" tires (actually, Theyre 34.4" tires) extra machinery, armor plating, and soft tires . . . When theres the extra weight of 4 doors, 2.7 engine, auto trans

Any thoughts?

SmartSelect_20211016-093314_Drive.jpg

SmartSelect_20211016-093912_Chrome.jpg
I would go to D rated and not E rated.

cgguy68

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Max PSI of 35?? Get outta here...lol
Where the fuck did you get that?
The recommended normal, everyday PSI for a Sasquatch equipped Bronco is 39 psi
From the side of the tire.

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah the fact that you can get a roof rack on a 2022 wildtrack with 2.7 and hard top seems to blow this idea out of the water because the tires are unchanged (so no, it's not an issue with the tires.) To me - it looks like someone in corporate simply changed their minds about how they do the calculations. Or, it actually had nothing to do with weight all along. After all - the whole idea is that you put stuff on the rack. So it's hard to believe that the rack itself puts the weight over some threshhold. I don't believe that we've been given the "real" reason.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From the side of the tire.
I haven't axtually seen this myself. Tire Rack says 35psi. Other size Territories have a max pressure of 50psi, which sounds about right.
I DO know that the OE Territories on the Bronco are not the same Territories on the TTC or other vehicles, regardless of size...
With that said, there is no way Ford would recommend a tire pressure higher than what the tire manufacturer says is safe. Lol
🤷🏻

Sponsored

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My ideal would be a 4dr that keeps the rear cap on, and has a soft top for the three removable panels, over both seat rows. Then, a small rack cage on top of the rear cap, like the OBX concept vehicle, with a larger front soft top

SmartSelect_20211016-115157_Google.jpg
That's exactly what I'd want on my 2-Door badlands... just a little something on the rear for light loads.

cgguy68

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't axtually seen this myself. Tire Rack says 35psi. Other size Territories have a max pressure of 50psi, which sounds about right.
I DO know that the OE Territories on the Bronco are not the same Territories on the TTC or other vehicles, regardless of size...
With that said, there is no way Ford would recommend a tire pressure higher than what the tire manufacturer says is safe. Lol
🤷🏻
Mine on my sasquatch say 35 psi on the sidewall.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah the fact that you can get a roof rack on a 2022 wildtrack with 2.7 and hard top seems to blow this idea out of the water because the tires are unchanged (so no, it's not an issue with the tires.) To me - it looks like someone in corporate simply changed their minds about how they do the calculations. Or, it actually had nothing to do with weight all along. After all - the whole idea is that you put stuff on the rack. So it's hard to believe that the rack itself puts the weight over some threshhold. I don't believe that we've been given the "real" reason.
It seems it is weight, because you cannot have the Wildtrack roof rack IF you also order the metal steel protection. . . The wildtrack configuration just allows you to choose your weight poison

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is a fine print note that says up to 10 psi additional inflation permitted.

Ford Bronco Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ? 20211017_110346
Well golly gee! This just has layers and layers of truth!

Sponsored
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's exactly what I'd want on my 2-Door badlands... just a little something on the rear for light loads.
I was thinking i might put the MIC panels up there when driving for the day on the beach!

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We've all seen multiple posts and discussion on the inability to put a roof rack on a Sasquatch package . They're pretty clear that it has to do with weight capacity , but it may mostly be the tires!?

So, if you look at pg. 12 of the Bronco Equipment Installation Guide, theres a table on Roof Rack

Load Capacity:
In motion: 110lbs
Stationary: 450lb
315/70R17 tires: 0

An Explanation: If you look at the specs on those Goodyear Territory tires, you'll see that they are the softer "C" rated tires, with weight capacity of a measly 2535 pounds! Thats weak for a loaded vehicle, same as the stock OBX tires. But that explains the capacity issue, ITS THE TIRES! A fix would be to upgrade to an E rated tire, get a rack, and move on. Im guessing that the suspension components are pretty beefy, the tires seem like the weak link in the design chain. E rated tires are heavier, and a harsher ride.

Clearly Ford wants its Sasquatch to be comfortable, and this may be part of the design compromises on a vehicle with 35" tires (actually, Theyre 34.4" tires) extra machinery, armor plating, and soft tires . . . When theres the extra weight of 4 doors, 2.7 engine, auto trans

Any thoughts?

Ford Bronco Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ? 20211017_110346

From what I hear, you don't want the E tires if you are going to deflate for crawling. Sidewalls too stiff.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model