Sponsored

Roof Racks - Storage and Tent, Gear & Beer Packing and Transport in the 2 Door Bronco

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thought I'd make a thread for the wheelers, campers, overlanders who'll be getting the 2 Dr Bronco. 4 Door folk are welcome to share thoughts as well, but since the 2 Dr causes us to pack more efficiently, wanted to make a thread for some reference and ideas.

I'm getting a 2 Dr Badlands Sasquatch and ordered the standard Roof Rack not Yakima (nothing wrong with the company at all). I plan t install a mount and lock system up there and so far plan to store on the roof my extra fuel when needed, a 3-5 gal water pack, shovel, maybe my axe, and my hub tent (Gazelle Overland Edition)

When camping, I plan to travel with no more than 2 additional occupants and fold down my seat(s). In back I will have my Dometic CFX-45, Jackery 1000, stove, sleeping bags and blankets, teddy bear to help me feel safe, recovery gear, fire extinguisher, etc. My ARB compressor will be installed, as will a GMRS radio and handheld Ham for emergencies.

Sounds like a lot, but weight is less than 250lbs for my gear for a normal weekend trip for 2.

Any thoughts to your packing solutions? Would love to hear what others are planning so I can tweak my set up and make improvements. :)
Sponsored

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If at all possible reconsider the fuel and water placement. That is a lot of weight in the worst place possible, which is high on the vehicle. Excessive top heavy weight will dramatically effect driving/handling characteristics on and off road.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use a highly concentrated form of beer that vastly improves the effect to density ratio. Extremely efficient to pack, less packaging waste, and chock full of delicious flavor I call it... 'rum'

cardinalsfan

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Given the limits to the roof loading I'm likely going with an overlanding trailer - either one I make/build or buy. Wife wants the lower RTT and a trailer fits that nicely. Also frees up the top of the Bronco for kayaks/etc AND makes it easy to go wheeling during the day away from camp.

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've been going back and forth when it comes to storage. My buddy has a Yakima SkyBox that he will sell me for cheap. I was going to use the SkyBox and get a PakMule Swayback. The PakMule is $800 but it is US made TIG welded aluminum with a rock solid hitch connection. https://pakmule.com/product/pakmule-sway-back/

I've also been looking at the Yakima Exo system: https://yakima.com/pages/exo

It is pretty cool, but even more expensive. The whole set up I would want is $1800. That would give me a box, a rack, and the plate/light kit.

For $1800 I can get a trailer...

Sponsored

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do you plan to store your extra fuel and water? Rotopax? Wavian? Other?

OP
OP
MadMan4BamaNATL

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If at all possible reconsider the fuel and water placement. That is a lot of weight in the worst place possible, which is high on the vehicle. Excessive top heavy weight will dramatically effect driving/handling characteristics on and off road.
Well, I definitely don't want the gas inside of the vehicle, it's a Roto that I use now, and will likely do the same for the Bronco.

The tent is heavy at 30lbs, but it will not fit inside easily. Can't remember the roof load, but my current config idea is less than 100lbs dynamic. The weight will cause a penalty on the driving, but I'm used to that although the Disco can carry much more on the roof.

Forgot to also list that my build includes the 2.7 and I ordered the Winch.

OP
OP
MadMan4BamaNATL

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do you plan to store your extra fuel and water? Rotopax? Wavian? Other?
Rotopax currently and likely for bronco also to load and lock on the rack. My Maxtrax go on the roof as well, but I only carry two since I'll have the winch.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have ordered a Badlands 2-door with the roof rails and tow package. Plan to carry extra fuel, two recovery boards and shovel on the Yakima LockNLoad. With the 4 gallons of fuel, total weight with rack, mounts, and gear equals 109lbs. Most of the time I will be transferring the fuel to my gas tank and traveling with empty Rotopax. I understand the concerns regarding lowering my center of gravity, but until I obtain my trailer/camper it is the best I can do.

Ford Bronco Roof Racks  - Storage and Tent, Gear & Beer Packing and Transport in the 2 Door Bronco Yakima LockNLoad for Bronco

MillerBuilt

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 3500, Dodge 2500, F150, Mercedez E350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How about a hitch rack. As long as it will clear your obstacles to where your destination is. (And clear the spare??)

FE555761-0519-4169-A075-E31ECF314CAE.jpeg

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really like the modularity of the Yakima Exo system, but yes, it is a bit pricy. But I like that you can have it swing to the side and also use it as a bike carrier, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting that system. Eventually I might want to buy or build a little off road trailer with a RTT and kitchen etc, but that's not gonna happen for at least an other year. The yakima will be handy to have even then though, for shorter trips etc.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hey there!
I ordered a base model velocity blue, with a Sasquatch, and a few extra options, modular bumper and brush guard. And the stock cross rails since they were cheap, rock sliders.
I plan on having my two door rear seats down all the time, and maybe build a flat rack out of plywood and outdoor carpet or something, to sit on top of the seat backs and then have a couple legs towards the back of the hatch , and then have a space underneath, that way it’ll be like a truck bed floor all the way to the front seat.

The cross rails I probably won’t have on the truck unless I actually go on an overland trip somewhere, which I plan on doing just not very often, at least till I retire. It’s mostly going to be my daily driver, and use the back like a pick up bed. I do like to go gold panning up in the hills around Northern California, on some of the switch back old Miner/mule Roads.
I also wanna explore the deserts and ghost towns of Nevada.
Can’t wait! It’s going to be about a year wait for my order.
Ford Bronco Roof Racks  - Storage and Tent, Gear & Beer Packing and Transport in the 2 Door Bronco 9E6E9277-8CB8-4704-9910-D6B96B0E2C09

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I really like the modularity of the Yakima Exo system, but yes, it is a bit pricy. But I like that you can have it swing to the side and also use it as a bike carrier, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting that system. Eventually I might want to buy or build a little off road trailer with a RTT and kitchen etc, but that's not gonna happen for at least an other year. The yakima will be handy to have even then though, for shorter trips etc.
Yeah. The Exo system looks really cool. I like how study the base seems. It could really turn a 2 door into a vehicle with a lot more storage. Plus I saved a bunch of money by not getting the 4 door, right?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've always used a hitch carrier for the cooler at the beach. But recently have taken a look RucRak that is a spare tire mounted carrier/bike rack/table. You can get an added hitch support for increased payload support.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I use a highly concentrated form of beer that vastly improves the effect to density ratio. Extremely efficient to pack, less packaging waste, and chock full of delicious flavor I call it... 'rum'
It’s called bourbon ...
Sponsored