Sponsored

Roof Racks - Storage and Tent, Gear & Beer Packing and Transport in the 2 Door Bronco

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thought I'd make a thread for the wheelers, campers, overlanders who'll be getting the 2 Dr Bronco. 4 Door folk are welcome to share thoughts as well, but since the 2 Dr causes us to pack more efficiently, wanted to make a thread for some reference and ideas.

I'm getting a 2 Dr Badlands Sasquatch and ordered the standard Roof Rack not Yakima (nothing wrong with the company at all). I plan t install a mount and lock system up there and so far plan to store on the roof my extra fuel when needed, a 3-5 gal water pack, shovel, maybe my axe, and my hub tent (Gazelle Overland Edition)

When camping, I plan to travel with no more than 2 additional occupants and fold down my seat(s). In back I will have my Dometic CFX-45, Jackery 1000, stove, sleeping bags and blankets, teddy bear to help me feel safe, recovery gear, fire extinguisher, etc. My ARB compressor will be installed, as will a GMRS radio and handheld Ham for emergencies.

Sounds like a lot, but weight is less than 250lbs for my gear for a normal weekend trip for 2.

Any thoughts to your packing solutions? Would love to hear what others are planning so I can tweak my set up and make improvements. :)
šŸ˜ You had me at Beer...
Sponsored

Mr. Hankey

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2d MT, GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a good thread! Iā€™m surprised that there is not more action so far as I think lots of people are interested in 2 door overlanding.

I plan to get a 2 door badlands and leave the 33s on there. My vehicle purpose will be to take long trips from San Diego to Montana, New Mexico, Alcan etc. So I want to optimize for these long drives that end up on dirt / unimproved roads (some really aggressive ones my current truck canā€™t make). For me, Iā€™ll do rock crawling if I have to - as a means to an end - and that is getting to fly fishing waters. We all know the gas mileage is going to be bad, but Iā€™m sticking with the 4 cylinder manual and the nonsquatch and will endeavor to minimize my weight to prevent clutter and help gas mileage. I expect that will be my largest expense on my trips and saving 10% is still huge. Also the smaller tires will be quieter on the thousands of miles of highway.

One way Iā€™ll minimize weight is that I plan to remove the back seats and get some goose gear or other aftermarket type floor for the seatless back. Then Iā€™m thinking about an internal JKloud hammock to sleep in on solo trips, or regular tent otherwise. I have no interest in an RTT or trailer for the Bronco; I have a pop-up trailer, but that chunk of paradise is for sub-500 mile car camping family trips with my half ton pickup.

Just as I do for backpacking, Iā€™ll bring a jetboil cooking kit and minimal gear along with my fly fishing stuff. I am thinking of a satellite emergency radio and the basics for recovery gear. Every ounce will earn its way on board my rig and I hope it is half empty even for long trips.

I may bring an nearly empty roof rack to place stuff up there while I sleep but thatā€™s it.

P.S. I know Iā€™m not the only one who canā€™t wait to get the MOD top just because it has a gunnerā€™s hatch. I donā€™t have any guns but I need that hatch because it sounds so cool and I can sometimes stargaze from in my hammock or driving with those panels all off.

Last edited:

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think you're gonna be pressed for space in the back with 2 extra occupants.
I plan on going with a Tepui Foothill RTT and a Yakima skinny Warrior half basket. Fuel on top, some soft goods and recovery gear (maybe cooler until I get a fridge), water Roto's inside... Possibly a 50% seat delete and a pair of sport bar cargo bags. šŸ‘

OP
OP
MadMan4BamaNATL

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a good thread! Iā€™m surprised that there is not more action so far as I think lots of people are interested in 2 door overlanding.

I plan to get a 2 door badlands and leave the 33s on there. My vehicle purpose will be to take long trips from San Diego to Montana, New Mexico, Alcan etc. So I want to optimize for these long drives that end up on dirt / unimproved roads (some really aggressive ones my current truck canā€™t make). For me, Iā€™ll do rock crawling if I have to - as a means to an end - and that is getting to fly fishing waters. We all know the gas mileage is going to be bad, but Iā€™m sticking with the 4 cylinder manual and the nonsquatch and will endeavor to minimize my weight to prevent clutter and help gas mileage. I expect that will be my largest expense on my trips and saving 10% is still huge. Also the smaller tires will be quieter on the thousands of miles of highway.

One way Iā€™ll minimize weight is that I plan to remove the back seats and get some goose gear or other aftermarket type floor for the seatless back. Then Iā€™m thinking about an internal JKloud hammock to sleep in on solo trips, or regular tent otherwise. I have no interest in an RTT or trailer for the Bronco; I have a pop-up trailer, but that chunk of paradise is for sub-500 mile car camping family trips with my half ton pickup.

Just as I do for backpacking, Iā€™ll bring a jetboil cooking kit and minimal gear along with my fly fishing stuff. I am thinking of a satellite emergency radio and the basics for recovery gear. Every ounce will earn its way on board my rig and I hope it is half empty even for long trips.

I may bring an nearly empty roof rack to place stuff up there while I sleep but thatā€™s it.

P.S. I know Iā€™m not the only one who canā€™t wait to get the MOD top just because it has a gunnerā€™s hatch. I donā€™t have any guns but I need that hatch because it sounds so cool and I can sometimes stargaze from in my hammock or driving with those panels all off.
This is what I'm talkin bout right here. ^^^^^

I like your plan. Although you didn't list, would like to hear your thoughts on fuel and water storage.

Was hoping to see more threads like this, but I posted this thread deep in the technical area where only the wheelers roam; not so many of us. However, for those who get curious and become inspired, want them to have some options to consider just as we're trying to figure out.

I got a hub tent because of the easy set up and break down. I hate difficult tents when I'm tired, in weather, half drunk, etc. Downside is the small "doors" and the weight and large pack down as I think this thing is 5ft long in the bag which is crazy; love it otherwise.

Like your back seat delete plan. That's the only weak point of the truck I see so far. I am thinking about a storage solution myself, but don't know yet. My Dometic is a tad larger than what I should have gotten. I have the 45 and should have just grabbed a 35 due to the size, so I may sell mine and pick up the smaller fridge.

For tires, sounds like you may be looking at some BFG KO2s? Share what your research or whatever in tires has uncovered. Cooper may be an option at that size for you as well.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is what I'm talkin bout right here. ^^^^^

I like your plan. Although you didn't list, would like to hear your thoughts on fuel and water storage.

Was hoping to see more threads like this, but I posted this thread deep in the technical area where only the wheelers roam; not so many of us. However, for those who get curious and become inspired, want them to have some options to consider just as we're trying to figure out.

I got a hub tent because of the easy set up and break down. I hate difficult tents when I'm tired, in weather, half drunk, etc. Downside is the small "doors" and the weight and large pack down as I think this thing is 5ft long in the bag which is crazy; love it otherwise.

Like your back seat delete plan. That's the only weak point of the truck I see so far. I am thinking about a storage solution myself, but don't know yet. My Dometic is a tad larger than what I should have gotten. I have the 45 and should have just grabbed a 35 due to the size, so I may sell mine and pick up the smaller fridge.

For tires, sounds like you may be looking at some BFG KO2s? Share what your research or whatever in tires has uncovered. Cooper may be an option at that size for you as well.
Thatā€™s because all the other threads they just talk smack and joke around too much!

Sponsored

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am also planning on deleting the rear seats. It's just me, my wife and the dogs now so I won't need them otherwise. It will be interesting to see what the floor looks like after that and what, if anything, I have to do to make it useful and look decent.

I have a Rotopax mounting plate on the roof of my FJ now that I have used many times for fuel storage. But I don't have a RTT, so I use the rack for the MaxTrax, fuel and water cans, tools and more. I bought an ARB side awning that I install on the rack when I need it for camping. It has a camping room that attaches to it that we really like -- full floor, mesh with rollup sides. I purchased a half-dozen 3/4"-thick foam interlocking squares that I piece together under the tent floor to make it more comfortable for sleeping bags. They also go on the rack for storage. The only trick is that, if you are at all worried about snow or rain, you need to install the awning poles lower at the front to make sure the precip runs off. Otherwise that awning and room have been perfect for my camping needs. I know some folks prefer to be off the ground, so obviously this doesn't work for everyone. I'm hoping I can use it on the Bronco, too, but will definitely need different rack mounts.

I put on a 2.5" OME lift when I bought my FJ and then added 285/70R17 Duratracs. They really have been great tires in all conditions. I lived in Western Washington for their first 3.5 years and New Mexico for their last 2, so everything from rain to mud to snow to wet sand to dry sand to rutted gravel to asphalt. I made a lot of long-distance trips in there. I replaced my first set after about 5.5 years/90K miles.

FWIW.

Mr. Hankey

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2d MT, GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Regarding fuel storage Iā€™m wondering about aftermarket solutions for rotomax mounting on the MOD top sides, maybe even where the modular side windows are. Do I need to see out of those side windows? Not sure. Of course, full rotomaxes are heavy and need a super strong mount, so weā€™ll see what aftermarket comes up with but at the least there is an example for hard mount below:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/external-fuel-jerry-can-mounting.12240/

Mounting them with the spare seems like an option too but Iā€™m wondering about the strength of the tail gate hinges and Iā€™ll investigate a stronger swing out tire carrier keeping in mind my ultralight requirements.

I like the BFG KO2 as an all around tire for my application. Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™ll install a permanent air compressor in the engine compartment.

Hereā€™s a question I havenā€™t seen discussed: where will they install the Lux audio system power amp?? Will it be under those back seats Iā€™m removing? Since Iā€™ll be driving on such mega long trips and this car is my midlife crisis lifestyle vehicle, I want the Lux. But I am concerned about some hot power amp I need to worry about ventilation or getting in the way. You should see the fubar factory installation on the F150 with that amp. If it is ugly, I may have to throw money at that :(.

Lastly, regarding tents etc, I hope to use that inside hammock when Iā€™m in ā€œstick and moveā€ mode fly fishing from one place to another. But if I base camp Iā€™ll bring a tent and external chairs and all that and set up a sweet pad so I can then drive around without all my accommodations.

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm trying to stay away from the roof completely for storage. One of the main reasons I want a Bronco is for the open air experience. Once you start adding roof rails and racks it makes that harder to enjoy and adds a bunch of extra steps just to go topless.

But we all have different priorities. My Bronco will be mainly for fun and light camping and some out door adventures off the beaten path but not too far off the beaten path. If that makes sense. So I can get away with it. Most of my storage will utilize the back end as much as possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MadMan4BamaNATL

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm trying to stay away from the roof completely for storage. One of the main reasons I want a Bronco is for the open air experience. Once you start adding roof rails and racks it makes that harder to enjoy and adds a bunch of extra steps just to go top less.

But we all have different priorities. My Bronco will be mainly for fun and light camping and some out door adventures off the beaten path but not too far off the beaten path. If that makes sense. So I can get away with it. Most of my storage will utilize the back end as much as possible.
Great point.

My build has the roof rack, but its coming down during the summer months for the very reason of open top wheeling.

I only camp in early Spring and in the Fall, but I know that many camp mostly in summer.

Thanks for sharing a different perspective.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

same reason I'm keeping my roof w/o anything for now. If somebody someday makes a (most likely exoskeleton) roof rack for the 4 door that only sits over the rear hard shell I might buy that and put a tent up there. Maybe. But I will have nothing in the way of open air, that's what I'm mostly buying this rig for. So while it looks cool with rack and all kinds of Camel Trophy stuff up there, it's not for me. Besides, center of gravity is high enough already on these things.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MadMan4BamaNATL

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bump.

With the 2023s finally getting scheduled and what looks to be more 2 Doors this go round, want to see if anyone else has any new storage solutions?

I want to also install a fridge slide and see that Goose Gear has a "cabinet" that's roughly $1200 with another at over $1500. That's a lot, but if it's quality built, which Goose usually is, given the beating the set up will take, I may just need to do it.

My question on the cabinet and slide is for those with a current 2 Door. How does it mount? Will I also need the Goose rear flat floor system, or will it strap into the stock flooring of the Bronco and will it fit with the seats up? At this point, don't plan to delete my rear seats, but may remove one of them later.

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Iā€™m going through this very thing now with my 2 door.
I have theYakima LockNload K size platform and Iā€™m looking into how I want to load it.
As others have mentioned, donā€™t want to put heavy items up there. Cooler and 5 gallons of water will end up in the back.
I still need the rest of the gear up top.
I may go with a Rhino-Rack bag in 200L or 250L size for 2 tents, sleeping bags and chairs.

OP
OP
MadMan4BamaNATL

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™m going through this very thing now with my 2 door.
I have theYakima LockNload K size platform and Iā€™m looking into how I want to load it.
As others have mentioned, donā€™t want to put heavy items up there. Cooler and 5 gallons of water will end up in the back.
I still need the rest of the gear up top.
I may go with a Rhino-Rack bag in 200L or 250L size for 2 tents, sleeping bags and chairs.
Nice plan. Iā€™ve got a big tent, so I want it up top. That Yakima flat rack load system (large) looks like the way Iā€™ll go since itā€™s easy enough to remove during Summer when I donā€™t camp and only wheel. MaxTrax need to go up there along with my shovel and axe in lockable binders.

I like the systems Iā€™ve seen where Rotopaks hang down the windows on a bracket system. Think my water will ride in the vehicle as well strapped down.

Time to start finally buying a few things that I canā€™t just rip from my current rig. Canā€™t make up my mind to get rid of it or not.
Sponsored