Sponsored

Roof racks with removable roof - how will that work?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How does that work? I'm going to want a beefy roof rack for everything from skis to gear boxes. How does that impact / work with removeable roof panels? Any info would be great!
With OEM roof rack installed, you can remove the two panels over the front seats, the other panes/rear shell are not removable.

I fully expect the aftermarket to provide a "cage" roof rack system that would allow for soft top or additional hard roof panel removal.

I have a Kargo Master on my JK that is completely isolated from the roof. (Which also provides a higher static/dynamic load rating.)

Ford Bronco Roof racks with removable roof - how will that work? IMG_2761

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With OEM roof rack installed, you can remove the two panels over the front seats, the other panes/rear shell are not removable.

I fully expect the aftermarket to provide a "cage" roof rack system that would allow for soft top or additional hard roof panel removal.
We can only hope that they do it well so it looks good, fits good, and doesn’t cost 3 grand

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Are we 100% certain that the second row panel on the four door can't be removed with the roof rack on? That would be really disappointing.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are we 100% certain that the second row panel on the four door can't be removed with the roof rack on? That would be really disappointing.
This was the information provided by a Ford rep during a Q&A... but I wouldn't say 100% until we have our hands on things.

My speculation is that the clearance just isn't there to get the panel out from under the rails. With the front being split in two, you can slide them out their respective sides... the rear portion it's not an option.

Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There are some pics showing the 2nd row panel sitting loose and the fronts removed. I have a feeling that with some effort, it can be removed.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This was the information provided by a Ford rep during a Q&A... but I wouldn't say 100% until we have our hands on things.

My speculation is that the clearance just isn't there to get the panel out from under the rails. With the front being split in two, you can slide them out their respective sides... the rear portion it's not an option.
Riiiight yeah that's disappointing but understandable.

OP
OP

Kayak_Nick

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So...after reading about the 4 door, would just the cargo roof not be removeable but the 3 panels over the front and rear seats would be?

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So...after reading about the 4 door, would just the cargo roof not be removeable but the 3 panels over the front and rear seats would be?
A Ford rep said only the two front panels are removable with the roof rack on. Looking at pictures, it makes sense.

OP
OP

Kayak_Nick

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I wonder how easy it is to take the rack on/off. That would solve the problem for me...

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It seems that the roof rack attaches to the far back section and on the windshield. So it would seem that there is nothing stopping say a 4-door from removing both the front and Mid\Rear Passenger section other than it just being to tight. You would think a little extra space in the roof rack would fix that (but would it then fit in the garage once it has been Squatched?

Then there was that one photo of the more square rack that seemed like it was ONLY on the back section... maybe that is the answer.

I plan on saying yes to a $400 factor rack.. but if there seems to be an alternative that lets you take the mid section out... that would be the winner!
Sponsored