Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I didn't get the roof rails with my 2-door. Looking at it now, maybe I should have, but I didn't really like the bulky look of them and figured I could get them later or some other aftermarket one. Well, I hear you still can't get the oem one yet, and it'll probably be twice the price so I'll probably be strapping my surfboards down with some type of makeshift soft rack setup for awhile. Anybody try these flat hook type straps on their bronco yet? There are some companies that will custom make cam or ratchet straps with these type "flat hooks" too.

Might try to come up with some type of hoist system with them as well.

Ford Bronco Roof straps for hardtop. roof
Sponsored

hollapm

First Edition
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition, 2021 Ranger, 2024 F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Love to hear if you can make a hoist system with it! This is something I've been looking to do but haven't found a good clip to use with the hardtop to hoist it. Where did you get these straps and how secure does it appear to attach to the top?

OP
OP
Broncola

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Still researching. A bunch of different ones are on amazon. Search for “flat hook roof”. And I think strapworks is one of the companies you can get custom straps.

Love to hear if you can make a hoist system with it! This is something I've been looking to do but haven't found a good clip to use with the hardtop to hoist it. Where did you get these straps and how secure does it appear to attach to the top?

hollapm

First Edition
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks!
Still researching. A bunch of different ones are on amazon. Search for “flat hook roof”. And I think strapworks is one of the companies you can get custom straps.
Thanks - that helps the search. I need to go out and measure the width of the roof rail attachment point. I saw one at Amazon that's 4 inches which I think would be wide enough and help even the load. Most aren't too costly either - just need to create a pully system with the right latches and I'll be able to take the top off much easier!

bhornberger

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

https://www.bestop.com/products/hos...-2018-2021-wrangler-jl-2007-2018-wrangler-jk/ - is what i really want them to come out with for the Bronco.

The reason why i like this - is the way you attach it to the hardtop. Contact them and can't buy the bracket to test fit, but seems like its an easy make part.

i want to be able to close the back window when in the air and also not have the straps on the rubber moulding.

Ford Bronco Roof straps for hardtop. 1642202145322

Ford Bronco Roof straps for hardtop. 1642202178391

Sponsored

hollapm

First Edition
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The width of each "anchor point" is about 4 3/4".
Ford Bronco Roof straps for hardtop. 1642208589449

My initial though was that a 4" flat hook at each of the Roof rack mount point would be the best (distribute the load of the roof while hoisted), but think it is overkill. In looking at some different options, going with 4 x 2" flat end with bolt loop's may be the best option - still overkill (2" x 11" Fixed End w/ Flat Hook and Bolt Loop)
These straps would then connect to something similar to the Harken hoist (Harken Overtop) or (Kayak Hoist)
I prefer the 4 point system of the harken on the ceiling as I use the Kayak hoist today for ladders and it's easy for it to tilt to the side when lifting.

With a 4 door top there are 4 mounting points on the roof.

OP
OP
Broncola

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I only have a 2-door so only two rack mounting points, but I think I could probably hook the base of the hardtop with a flat hook for hoisting.

I’m also wondering how strong the rest of the top dripline would be for strapping purposes. Also looking at the rear 2 inches of the front roof panels.

Those ones you linked look beefy, but good peace of mind!

The width of each "anchor point" is about 4 3/4".
Ford Bronco Roof straps for hardtop. 1642208589449

My initial though was that a 4" flat hook at each of the Roof rack mount point would be the best (distribute the load of the roof while hoisted), but think it is overkill. In looking at some different options, going with 4 x 2" flat end with bolt loop's may be the best option - still overkill (2" x 11" Fixed End w/ Flat Hook and Bolt Loop)
These straps would then connect to something similar to the Harken hoist (Harken Overtop) or (Kayak Hoist)
I prefer the 4 point system of the harken on the ceiling as I use the Kayak hoist today for ladders and it's easy for it to tilt to the side when lifting.

With a 4 door top there are 4 mounting points on the roof.

OP
OP
Broncola

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I bought the cheapest set on amazon to try out. $8.50 for eight short loops w/ the flat hook. Couldn’t really tell what the profile of the hook was from the pics. These seem like they will work for me for strapping down my surfboards in combination with some cam straps. They hold pretty good and the MIC doesn’t flex much. Wish the hooks were a little longer, but they work. They can also slide down the full length of the “drip rail”, and can hook onto the rear of the front roof panels on a 2-door. These won’t hook the bottom of the MIC, maybe if you lift it first. But I think lifting from the bottom like that with straps might be too much stress.

Ford Bronco Roof straps for hardtop. 170DD5A7-1286-4C8B-992E-917D8D487116

Ford Bronco Roof straps for hardtop. 0C60B587-A8E8-43F3-84C9-8D775EB5AB3B

Ford Bronco Roof straps for hardtop. E5AC572D-3A71-4B92-9392-200FF3750C53

Ford Bronco Roof straps for hardtop. C1FFCBC1-7151-47A1-90F9-992933014147

Ford Bronco Roof straps for hardtop. B26AB30A-6A7D-4A36-85C9-F018D92A765A

kbobber

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Touareg & Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I didn't get the roof rails with my 2-door. Looking at it now, maybe I should have, but I didn't really like the bulky look of them and figured I could get them later or some other aftermarket one. Well, I hear you still can't get the oem one yet, and it'll probably be twice the price so I'll probably be strapping my surfboards down with some type of makeshift soft rack setup for awhile. Anybody try these flat hook type straps on their bronco yet? There are some companies that will custom make cam or ratchet straps with these type "flat hooks" too.

Might try to come up with some type of hoist system with them as well.

Ford Bronco Roof straps for hardtop. B26AB30A-6A7D-4A36-85C9-F018D92A765A
Hi- I was thinking of buying this FCS soft rack- https://www.amazon.com/FCS-Premium-...WCQWD/ref=dp_prsubs_2?pd_rd_i=B084DWCQWD&th=1

However, do you think the internal straps used to attached the racks to the roof will interfere with the window auto close function since the straps will pinch between the top of the window and the bottom edge of the roof panels? I would hate to cause a malfunction and the seal of the auto windows pinching up when you close the doors. What do you think?

OP
OP
Broncola

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think the auto windows would probably still work. Maybe overtime not so good, though. Those are nice racks, but I don’t want straps running inside. Also doesn’t quite work for a two door. I’m gonna get some wide rack pads and run some kind of bungee through it to the flat hook loops. Then strap the boards with a separate cam strap to the same loops.

Hi- I was thinking of buying this FCS soft rack- https://www.amazon.com/FCS-Premium-...WCQWD/ref=dp_prsubs_2?pd_rd_i=B084DWCQWD&th=1

However, do you think the internal straps used to attached the racks to the roof will interfere with the window auto close function since the straps will pinch between the top of the window and the bottom edge of the roof panels? I would hate to cause a malfunction and the seal of the auto windows pinching up when you close the doors. What do you think?

Sponsored

teevan

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Checking in to see if there were any updates...did you put a board on a rack and try this out? I have a 4 door and wondering if I could get a longboard up there...a little worried that it is too long for just strapping down on the back. I am guessing having the front half of the board not strapped down may cause some issues when you get over 55mph.

OP
OP
Broncola

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Always run two straps. And front is the most important. Just finished my setup as described earlier. Some bungee straps w/ caribener ends running through a old set of rack pads I had. Connected to the flat hook loops and boards tied down with cam straps. It’s solid. I have one set of flat hooks on the front roof panel.

Ford Bronco Roof straps for hardtop. A829010B-56CF-470C-A29C-9F8679C84D4C

Ford Bronco Roof straps for hardtop. E6238F8F-E4FA-42F6-A28B-A86BB349F77C

Going out now. Will let you know if I lose it on the highway.

Checking in to see if there were any updates...did you put a board on a rack and try this out? I have a 4 door and wondering if I could get a longboard up there...a little worried that it is too long for just strapping down on the back. I am guessing having the front half of the board not strapped down may cause some issues when you get over 55mph.

teevan

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Always run two straps. And front is the most important. Just finished my setup as described earlier. Some bungee straps w/ caribener ends running through a old set of rack pads I had. Connected to the flat hook loops and boards tied down with cam straps. It’s solid. I have one set of flat hooks on the front roof panel.

Going out now. Will let you know if I lose it on the highway.
Thanks for the update. That looks pretty solid. But now I realize the difference with the 4dr...I dont have that anchor point in the front panel...I just have 2 anchor points in the back, which is why I was worried about just using those two in the back panel.

I wish there were some decent roof options out there.