First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good morning everyone! So I am looking at the Yakima rooftop tent and thinking to myself that looks incredibly inconvenient and a P.I.T.A. to get in and out of! So, how many of you actually have one of these? In all my years of tent camping I can't think of a time I actually saw one of these in person! What's the difficulty level setting it up? Does it take 2 people? Do you store all of your clothes and such in the vehicle and only go in the tent to sleep?
Ford Bronco Roof Top Tent - Advantages/Disadvantages Screenshot 2021-03-06 at 7.49.37 AM
Sponsored

OldGrayMare

Badlands
First Name
Jami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '67 Tempest, '85 Yota SR5, '16 ATS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My experience with a roof top tent is that it’s either a brilliant and obvious solution for your use case, or it doesn’t make any sense to begin with.

It sounds like youre the latter, In which case, it’s probably not worth it for you.

For others, a rapidly deployable and packable tent that doesn’t take any space in the cargo area when not in use, and is off the ground, is brilliant.

If you are finding a camping site, and staying there for a few nights, or traveling leisurely, a traditional ground tent provides a lot of advantages.

If you‘re the type of person who is traveling every day and then sets up camp for an evening on short notice or without the luxury of ”shopping around” for a site, having a rooftop can speed things up nicely and eliminate the worry about what type of ground you’re on (Especially if there’s mud or rain).

OP
OP
RoLyMa27

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My experience with a roof top tent is that it’s either a brilliant and obvious solution for your use case, or it doesn’t make any sense to begin with.

It sounds like youre the latter, In which case, it’s probably not worth it for you.

For others, a rapidly deployable and packable tent that doesn’t take any space in the cargo area when not in use, and is off the ground, is brilliant.

If you are finding a camping site, and staying there for a few nights, or traveling leisurely, a traditional ground tent provides a lot of advantages.

If you‘re the type of person who is traveling every day and then sets up camp for an evening on short notice or without the luxury of ”shopping around” for a site, having a rooftop can speed things up nicely and eliminate the worry about what type of ground you’re on (Especially if there’s mud or rain).
Ok, that makes good sense. Some things to think about. I am definitely the latter. Thank you for engaging in an adult conversation!

Sponsored

Killed By Death

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t have a RTT but I have been camping for years in a truck bed tent and I will never go back to a ground tent. It’s nice being off the ground. You don’t have to worry much about snakes, scorpions and bugs walking in randomly.

you don’t have to worry about coyotes and mountain lions pawing at your wall.

you are more secured in high winds. You always have the same level of comfort and don’t have toworry about rocks under you.

most of the time you have some form of awning to keep the sun off of you and it’s at a height where you can stand up and do thing while being protected from the sun.

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Benefits

1. Easy small (no footprint for some) footprint.
2. Quick to set up
3. No chance of bugs crawling in from the ground
4. Bears would have to climb onto the car to bother you (not likely)
5. potential for better view of your campground/security

Downsides

1. Higher risk of injury from falling
2. Have to take off shoes potentially the mud/rain and climb the ladder
3. If you get drunk camping you could have issues climbing the ladder or waking up to pee and climbing down
4. If you want to go exploring in your car , you take your camp with you. With ground tents you can leave them and reserve your camping spot

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Benefits

1. Easy small (no footprint for some) footprint.
2. Quick to set up
3. No chance of bugs crawling in from the ground
4. Bears would have to climb onto the car to bother you (not likely)
5. potential for better view of your campground/security

Downsides

1. Higher risk of injury from falling
2. Have to take off shoes potentially the mud/rain and climb the ladder
3. If you get drunk camping you could have issues climbing the ladder or waking up to pee and climbing down
4. If you want to go exploring in your car , you take your camp with you. With ground tents you can leave them and reserve your camping spot
This stuff.

RTTs are fabulous for long, backcountry journeys where camping is a very limited part of the adventure. Drive all day, cook a meal, go to sleep. Wake up, pack up, drive somewhere else.

RTTs are not great if you are setting up a base camp for a week and then using the vehicle for daytime trips.

RTTs are not great if you are using your vehicle as a daily driver and have to put up with the extra weight on your roof all the time or else find somewhere to store it and someone to help you load it and unload it before and after trips.

It's a very expensive piece of gear that is a waste of money unless you have been camping a bunch and then come to the conclusion that it suits your needs.

Sponsored

scotturich

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a RTT on my Gladiator now and honestly I will never go back to ground camping ever again. Its nice having my bedding ready to go and setup happens in about 2 minutes and take down takes about 10 min. You stay warm also being higher off the ground and don't have to deal with bugs, snakes, etc. Their are many options just do your research and find one that fits you the best.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

they certainly are nice, but IMO better suited for a truck or SUV, not an open air take the roof off vehicle? I don't want to look at the bottom of a roof. Maybe one that just sits over the cargo area, will have to see down the road.
But good pro/cons lists here, I've been playing with the idea of a RTT for quite a while.

It'll be quite exciting to see what solutions will develop in the aftermarket!

OP
OP
RoLyMa27

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
they certainly are nice, but IMO better suited for a truck or SUV, not an open air take the roof off vehicle? I don't want to look at the bottom of a roof. Maybe one that just sits over the cargo area, will have to see down the road.
But good pro/cons lists here, I've been playing with the idea of a RTT for quite a while.

It'll be quite exciting to see what solutions will develop in the aftermarket!
Good points Daktari! Thanks for the input.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

They seem neat, and I was looking for one, but I've changed my thinking and am opting out, mostly because of:

1. having something permanently attached to the roof in the summer in arizona is a good way to have it wear out in 2 years. no matter how much a mfr claims their stuff is good against UV, it just doesn't hold up here
  2. I'm a big dude, and adding me + the wife + a dog or kid or two up there, immediately goes over the load rating.
  3. won't fit in the garage :-(
  4. imagine having to pee in the middle of the night and having to stumble does the ladder (probably inebriated) and not fall into the campfire. no thanks :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoLyMa27

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They seem neat, and I was looking for one, but I've change my thinking and am opting out, mostly because of:

1. having something permanently attached to the roof in the summer in arizona is a good way to have it wear out in 2 years. no matter how much a mfr claims their stuff is good against UV, it just doesn't hold up here
  2. I'm a big dude, and adding me + the wife + a dog or kid or two up there, immediately goes over the load rating.
  3. won't fit in the garage :-(
  4. imagine having to pee in the middle of the night and having to stumble does the ladder (probably inebriated) and not fall into the campfire. no thanks :)
Amen Brother!
Sponsored