mostly harmless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I see the purpose/benefit of a true rooftop tent. You can sleep basically anywhere, it doesn’t matter if the ground is rocky or muddy, etc. The clamshell RTTs set up and fold down very quickly, which is a nice perk as well.

But what is the purpose of the ground tents that attach to the car? If you are already sleeping on the ground, why not just use a regular tent? The car tents seem to be priced at a premium so a regular tent seems smarter. Plus a regular tent can be pitched anywhere else, you’re not limited to pitching it alongside your vehicle. What am I missing?

9566CD67-7F8F-4450-8BD7-0839DB9EBA37.png
Sponsored

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would go with the Ursa Minor if I had a huge shop and some land. I have kids so I barely have room in the garage. I have a cvt tent with annex. It’s for all 4 of us and we like it. If it was just the wife and I We would have a 2 person hard shell instead. The bronco will be a light no frills truck for us and we will keep it simple.
Ford Bronco Roof Top Tent Options - Opinions/Favorites 9566CD67-7F8F-4450-8BD7-0839DB9EBA37

Good looking deer on top of that FJ (y) ( FJ looks almost identical to mine except for the snorkel)

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was thinking the load ratings for the roof rack were in regards to the crossbars hard to imagine those main rails can only hold that much. But in all honesty, I have no idea.

Aut-Lin

Black Diamond
First Name
Aut-Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I plan on going with the Go Fast Campers Superlite!

Weight is said to come in around 80lbs, and the quick attach combined with the weight (or lack thereof) makes it ideal for me because I don't plan on driving around with it on all the time. Commute with it off during the week then throw it on for the weekend if I go out camping!

Go Fast Superlite

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was thinking the load ratings for the roof rack were in regards to the crossbars hard to imagine those main rails can only hold that much. But in all honesty, I have no idea.
Part of the problem may be that the rear of the Bronco OEM rack rests on the removable top, and not a frame member.

Jeeps have a similar problem... for increased capacity they either reinforce through the top to the roll back inside, or they bypass the top altogether.

Here is my Jeep with the latter style from Kargo Master.

Ford Bronco Roof Top Tent Options - Opinions/Favorites IMG_6119

Sponsored

Gabeguy

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 FJCruiser, 18 Jeep JL Rubicon 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I currently own an iKamper 2.0 Skycamp and have it mounted on an offroad trailer so that I may go topless if desired. The tent is great, sets up super fast and provides me a king size bed. The tear down is just as easy. I highly recommend!

IMG_0224[1].JPG

QCNJ3527 (1).JPG

OP
OP
connorville

connorville

Badlands
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I currently own an iKamper 2.0 Skycamp and have it mounted on an offroad trailer so that I may go topless if desired. The tent is great, sets up super fast and provides me a king size bed. The tear down is just as easy. I highly recommend!

Ford Bronco Roof Top Tent Options - Opinions/Favorites QCNJ3527 (1).JPG

Ford Bronco Roof Top Tent Options - Opinions/Favorites QCNJ3527 (1).JPG
Glad to hear you are enjoying it so much and have positive things to say! This and the cvt mt hood clamshell is what we are leaning towards the most.

Also love the color match! Great setup.

OP
OP
connorville

connorville

Badlands
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan on going with the Go Fast Campers Superlite!

Weight is said to come in around 80lbs, and the quick attach combined with the weight (or lack thereof) makes it ideal for me because I don't plan on driving around with it on all the time. Commute with it off during the week then throw it on for the weekend if I go out camping!

Go Fast Superlite
I did see that as an option, but due to its lite weight, I would worry of durability. It would be nice to easily attach and remove though!

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm currently looking at the 23Zeros and Roam RTTs. There will be options from the aftermarket to get around the Broncos low rack capacity just as there are for the Wranglers. I don't want to carry them 24/7 so definitely looking at a 4x6 trailer with a rack or a hitch mount RTT carrier like the one from Rubicon.

Aut-Lin

Black Diamond
First Name
Aut-Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did see that as an option, but due to its lite weight, I would worry of durability. It would be nice to easily attach and remove though!
Yeah I can see why the light weight might be a concern for durability, however from the product page it would seem they've put it through its paces for testing it's toughness.

They do rate it as "almost too huckable" ?

Sponsored

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd like to find one that allows you to crawl up inside of it through the inside of the Bronco. Ive seen ones like this for Jeeps. That way you don't have to enter from the outside and you can run the heater for a bit before you go to bed.

Hopefully they make one like this for the Bronco.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

sbsdevil

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone found a way to manage a rooftop tent with a large dog? I take my dog on all my adventures but I have not considered a rooftop because I don't want to haul her up and down a ladder... I know there are some dogs that will climb a ladder or walk up the car but that is not something she is going to do (not mention I don't want her nails on the paint).

ScottW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a James Baroud RTT, a buddy has an Alu Cab. Both are very nice tents. The Baroud has waterproof fabric and rated to 60mph winds. I haven't used it in winds that high but in the 30+ range the tent was unfazed. Sets up in minutes which is nice.

IMG_4045.JPEG

Geekytrails

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL Type S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone found a way to manage a rooftop tent with a large dog? I take my dog on all my adventures but I have not considered a rooftop because I don't want to haul her up and down a ladder... I know there are some dogs that will climb a ladder or walk up the car but that is not something she is going to do (not mention I don't want her nails on the paint).
I have been thinking the same thing. My thought is to set up a dog bed in a annex connecting to the tent. I'm hoping that will be enough to keep my pup happy.

Now to figure out what to do with my girlfriends cat.
Sponsored