First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Has anyone put a rooftop tent on a 2-door yet? I'd love to try out a roof top tent but concerned of the low weight limits the 2-door roof racks seems to have and unclear if extra roof rack bars or platforms are needed beyond the factor roof rack. Ford offers them as factory options but even Ford says it requires a special cross bar, but my factor rack already has 2 cross bars. Is this a 3rd bar or something special that works in conjunction with the 2 bar factor rack?
Sponsored

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I also have a 2dr Black Diamond and plan on putting my rooftop tent on it, but have the same concerns as you. My RTT weighs in at 141 lbs and the dynamic weight limit of the OEM rack is 110 lbs. I've looked at the other options that are out there right now and Zroadz has the highest weight limits. I asked them how they were able to achieve higher weight ratings than the OEM rack while still using the same mounting points. They claim that the additional crossbars allow the weight to spread more evenly which increases the weight limits. I've been waiting to see if someone puts a heavier tent on the OEM rack, or for someone to buy an aftermarket rack and put a heavy tent on it. I don't fully trust that the limits are actually higher because it seems like the weight limit would also be very dependent on the roof itself.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Would like one but don’t know if the wife’s lower back can handle sleeping in one yet. Have also thought about building out a trailer with an RTT.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Has anyone put a rooftop tent on a 2-door yet? I'd love to try out a roof top tent but concerned of the low weight limits the 2-door roof racks seems to have and unclear if extra roof rack bars or platforms are needed beyond the factor roof rack. Ford offers them as factory options but even Ford says it requires a special cross bar, but my factor rack already has 2 cross bars. Is this a 3rd bar or something special that works in conjunction with the 2 bar factor rack?
I think the main problem is the dynamic load rating, the low rating makes playing hide the weasel when you're camping questionable :unsure:

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Justin B. McBride does on his 2dr BL Sasquatch. Check out his YouTube channel.

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I saw a heavy (as I can say) RTT on the Zroadz roof rack here: https://www.instagram.com/bronco_g_ride/p/CYh7XH_NZbJ/?utm_medium=copy_link
Good spot. I've seen that picture before but didn't realize the GFC tent weighed 135 lbs until looking it up just now. Maybe I mixed it up with a similar tent that weighed 80-90 lbs.
@justinbmcbride I thought I remember seeing in one of your videos that you had the GFC tent but it was a version they don't make anymore. What is the weight of your current RTT and do you use the OEM rack?

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good spot. I've seen that picture before but didn't realize the GFC tent weighed 135 lbs until looking it up just now. Maybe I mixed it up with a similar tent that weighed 80-90 lbs.

Yes, it's the superlight (discounted for now) and it doesn't have a hard shell. And yes it's 80 lbs. This one is heavier.

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@justinbmcbride I thought I remember seeing in one of your videos that you had the GFC tent but it was a version they don't make anymore. What is the weight of your current RTT and do you use the OEM rack?
I am not Justin, but he has a superlight, that I mentioned above.

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am not Justin, but he has a superlight, that I mentioned above.
Oh! Thats right, good call.
Seeing someone else with the 135 lbs version on the Zroadz rack is encouraging though. I might have to go that route since they are the only ones I've seen with a 2dr version with higher load ratings. At least for now. We'll see what Gobi and Badass Tents come up with for the 2dr. I think Badass is looking for a 2dr Bronco to test on. Gobi is only working on a 4dr right now so it will probably be a while before a 2dr version is available.

Sponsored

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Superlite was i believe 85lbs

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Edit: Here’s another option I looked at about a year ago, Hutch Daly 2 clicking in at 95lbs

https://hutchtents.com/products/daly-2

but i just bought a nice car camping tent, no RTT for me

Last edited:

croyco

Black Diamond
First Name
croydon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Get a copy Fords setup book for the Bronco. I states that the roof rack can only hold 300 lbs. , and that is stationary. If not the weight is ZERO for a SAS equipped 2DR.

OP
OP
ChrisCozart

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for the tip. I looked it up on YouTube, got excited, then disappointed that GFC no longer makes that particular tent. He even specified that tent was way below the roof rack limits and he used the stop roof rack to mount it with zero modifications. Guess I'll have to keep tabs on GFC to see if they come out with a replacement for their super lite tent.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the tip. I looked it up on YouTube, got excited, then disappointed that GFC no longer makes that particular tent. He even specified that tent was way below the roof rack limits and he used the stop roof rack to mount it with zero modifications. Guess I'll have to keep tabs on GFC to see if they come out with a replacement for their super lite tent.
IIRC they are making changes to the design and plan to offer another tent similar to that one.
Sponsored