Sponsored

Rough Country Hidden Winch In Action (now avail for 2.7)

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, went and tested out my 12000 lb Hidden winch. Spoiler alert, I'm quite happy with it. Also, Rough Country now has the Hidden winch mount available for 2.7 and all bumpers.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Once mine gets here, if I go with the hidden setup, I'm looking at running a couple u joint sockets to put a removable clutch handle right out through the grille. Hood only opens for severe pulls or pulls with metal shackles, because the line will be weighted and all synthetic.

The deer slayer posts have me considering a full steel bumper, but I want a recessed winch, not a bolt-on truss.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once mine gets here, if I go with the hidden setup, I'm looking at running a couple u joint sockets to put a removable clutch handle right out through the grille. Hood only opens for severe pulls or pulls with metal shackles, because the line will be weighted and all synthetic.

The deer slayer posts have me considering a full steel bumper, but I want a recessed winch, not a bolt-on truss.
LOBO looks good to me.

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
LOBO looks good to me.
Huh, that's a new one I hadn't seen yet.

I do like the HNT skid, the bumper has a lot of holes that will get shotgunned with gravel here, so I'm I bit on the fence, even though the bumper lines are sleek af.

Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Huh, that's a new one I hadn't seen yet.

I do like the HNT skid, the bumper has a lot of holes that will get shotgunned with gravel here, so I'm I bit on the fence, even though the bumper lines are sleek af.
I don’t like the holes
Plus I have a capable bumper

but I’ll see what’s-up when it goes on sale
I want the warn with remote control clutch and it won’t fit in the RC mount

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The platinum does not fit the RC? I didn't know that. Big yikes.

Mine will also be a capable. Similar build to yours, but lux... and unscheduled for 22. Jealous.

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Full install video.

Sgm

Badlands
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, 21 Ranger, 22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just completed this on my '22 Squashed Badlands, 2.7l and, there are some real challenges to this install.

1. It is meant to be used with their winch - however, a Warn can be installed, but only the EVO series, NOT a ZEON, too big for the mount (learned this by trial and error.) There is a YouTube install using the Harbor Freight Badlands Apex 12K... very similar to the Evo... RC does not guarantee it will fit any other winch but theirs; their caveat emptor on this piece.

2. Control Head must be relocated to up in the engine bay - mine is above the Power Train Control Module behind the air cleaner on a custom fab'd plate. Additional correctly sized cabling must be run from the head to the winch.

3. The Clutch handle does sit directly below the radiator support (for most winches including the RC one I think) so a solution is needed as all the plumbing on a 2.7l forbids a hand/arm to get to it from the engine bay. A custom bent Irrigation Valve Key works great.

4. The relocation of the oil cooler on its custom bracket will meet/interfere the inside shutter system of the Intercooler. I removed the lower flaps and using a Dremel, took out the interfering areas of the plastic frame. This shutter system is the passive one. The outside one is an active system. It is easily removed for this rework.

5. The Warn fairlead will not fit the RC skid plate/fairlead mount. A RC can be had at a reasonable price and my spare Warn will have a home should I switch my Classic Bronco to synthetic - currently 3/8 wire rope from a 12 year back upgrade.

If anyone is considering this upgrade, l will shar specifics one on one.

choppersean

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Sasquatch, 2-door, EG, 2.7, Auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just completed this on my '22 Squashed Badlands, 2.7l and, there are some real challenges to this install.

1. It is meant to be used with their winch - however, a Warn can be installed, but only the EVO series, NOT a ZEON, too big for the mount (learned this by trial and error.) There is a YouTube install using the Harbor Freight Badlands Apex 12K... very similar to the Evo... RC does not guarantee it will fit any other winch but theirs; their caveat emptor on this piece.

2. Control Head must be relocated to up in the engine bay - mine is above the Power Train Control Module behind the air cleaner on a custom fab'd plate. Additional correctly sized cabling must be run from the head to the winch.

3. The Clutch handle does sit directly below the radiator support (for most winches including the RC one I think) so a solution is needed as all the plumbing on a 2.7l forbids a hand/arm to get to it from the engine bay. A custom bent Irrigation Valve Key works great.

4. The relocation of the oil cooler on its custom bracket will meet/interfere the inside shutter system of the Intercooler. I removed the lower flaps and using a Dremel, took out the interfering areas of the plastic frame. This shutter system is the passive one. The outside one is an active system. It is easily removed for this rework.

5. The Warn fairlead will not fit the RC skid plate/fairlead mount. A RC can be had at a reasonable price and my spare Warn will have a home should I switch my Classic Bronco to synthetic - currently 3/8 wire rope from a 12 year back upgrade.

Thanks for this review. You have confirmed many of my concerns this isn’t a simple install and would require some fabrication skills, albeit a bit mild. I don’t have the time or patience at this point, so I’ll keep watching for alternatives.

Sponsored

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a question I just ordered the RC hidden winch kit and the RC12000 wench but I want to add the Groove Fairlead I read that you said the Warn didn't fit can you look and tell me if the Groove will fit? Thanks in advance
  • Standard & Comp Groove Fairleads: 13" x 3.32" x 1.38"
  • Off-Set Groove Fairlead :13" x 3.56" x 1.38"
https://yankum.com/products/winch-hawse-groove-fairlead

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, went and tested out my 12000 lb Hidden winch. Spoiler alert, I'm quite happy with it. Also, Rough Country now has the Hidden winch mount available for 2.7 and all bumpers.

I am new to winches.

At 2:27 in the video, why did you need to climb on top of the engine to do something? What was that?
Is there a way to configure it so that you don't have to pop the hood?
Is there a way to use this particular winch wirelessly? I checked the product page but it doesn't seem like it.

Calvdaboss

Base
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Does anyone know what skid plates will work to continue after this winch plate?

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am new to winches.

At 2:27 in the video, why did you need to climb on top of the engine to do something? What was that?
Is there a way to configure it so that you don't have to pop the hood?
Is there a way to use this particular winch wirelessly? I checked the product page but it doesn't seem like it.
There is typically a lever on the winch that allows it to freewheel so you can manually pull the line out. When the winch is buried it can be a chore to access the lever.

Some winches also have wireless options. It varies. If it does they won't hide the fact.

BroncoBones

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bump. Have one on order at recommendation of a local shop who will do install. I have 2.7 Badlands/squatch with modular bumper. New to winches.

Are people happy with them?
Will this void my warranty?
not too concerned about the minimal change to approach angle as long as the replacement bash plate is strong enough- is it?
Sponsored