First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, while waiting (less than patiently) for RC to come out with their "mod bumper" version, I was thinking of slightly modifying the factory skid plate to make an 'in-between' solution. I'm going to take this to a local shop to see how much this might run and how they feel about doing it, but didn't want to meld the RC with the factory if I could avoid it. I still lose a little clearance in the front, but not as much as it appears the RC version does. Let me know what you think. I have a Warn VR EVO that will be going in on the RC mount.

Mocked it up in cardboard (even have some thinner steel to try as well) but will ultimately have it match the gauge of the Bronco skid (11, I believe).
Ford Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Install- 2.3 Badlands IMG_6928

The bottom won't actually extend as low (or far back? as you see here) as my goal will be to 'tuck it in' probably an inch or so forward of where you see this (also this is taped to the outside, but you get the idea).
Ford Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Install- 2.3 Badlands IMG_6929

Let me know your thoughts, Forum - Thanks!
Sponsored

LaterGator

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, while waiting (less than patiently) for RC to come out with their "mod bumper" version, I was thinking of slightly modifying the factory skid plate to make an 'in-between' solution. I'm going to take this to a local shop to see how much this might run and how they feel about doing it, but didn't want to meld the RC with the factory if I could avoid it. I still lose a little clearance in the front, but not as much as it appears the RC version does. Let me know what you think. I have a Warn VR EVO that will be going in on the RC mount.

Mocked it up in cardboard (even have some thinner steel to try as well) but will ultimately have it match the gauge of the Bronco skid (11, I believe).
Ford Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Install- 2.3 Badlands 1643244369488

The bottom won't actually extend as low (or far back? as you see here) as my goal will be to 'tuck it in' probably an inch or so forward of where you see this (also this is taped to the outside, but you get the idea).
Ford Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Install- 2.3 Badlands 1643244369488

Let me know your thoughts, Forum - Thanks!
I like this idea!

OP
OP
BROCK-O

BROCK-O

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like this idea!
The problem is the actual winch plate will require more room than this looks to give. Dropping the OEM skid with spacers or modifying the skid is necessary to clear the winch plate.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The problem is the actual winch plate will require more room than this looks to give. Dropping the OEM skid with spacers or modifying the skid is necessary to clear the winch plate.
It forces the plate down by approx 3/8”. I put my standard skid plate back on after installing the winch and will need 3/8”spacers too snug it up. Not a big deal visually or operationally, at least not for me. Will have pics by end of next week when I get it back from the welder and reinstall with the fairlead integrated.

Sponsored

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It forces the plate down by approx 3/8”. I put my standard skid plate back on after installing the winch and will need 3/8”spacers too snug it up. Not a big deal visually or operationally, at least not for me. Will have pics by end of next week when I get it back from the welder and reinstall with the fairlead integrated.
Looking forward to it

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just installed mine today. Prefer the roller setup. I understand it will limit ground clearance, but for now I like the roller and maybe will switch over to the fabricated fairlead someday down the road. The roller was just some holes drilled and some cuts, no big deal or custom fab.

The free spin on the clutch of the winch is actually blocked by the intercooler hose which is kind of a pain and will be looking for options to also modify.

Love my winch tucked away here though!

Ford Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Install- 2.3 Badlands 3649DDC3-65AA-4837-8BE0-8CAFC7B9EF0C
Ford Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Install- 2.3 Badlands 2D90CD77-87F6-4F5E-B557-8A572EB964E9
Ford Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Install- 2.3 Badlands 8F36BB4C-58B0-47BE-8FB5-E6CBFE9B78C8
Ford Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Install- 2.3 Badlands 77020430-A79A-48AB-AD73-EBDEFD228292
Ford Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Install- 2.3 Badlands 04B70F34-2374-472C-BD28-B9988F1690FD
Ford Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Install- 2.3 Badlands D7618B0F-A630-41C6-822C-2738B6D10F8F
Sponsored