Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just picked up this kit In the 3” Osram option:
https://www.roughcountry.com/bronco...-71045c.html?find=2021-ford-bronco-4wd-784415

My question on the wiring is, am I able to utilize an up fitter switch with these? If so, what’s the best way to go about it? I can’t find info on how many amps they draw, so I wasn’t sure if cutting out the fuse and relay and everything was a good idea or not? I was hoping I could just use the connector sections then fuse both positives together then use a connector to attach to an up fitter wire then connect both negative wires together and ground them. Is that safe to do with this kit or do you think their amps are higher and I gotta keep all that stuff intact?
I’m pretty novice with wiring so I appreciate any help!

here’s a diagram of the wire kit they send
Ford Bronco Rough Country OSRAM pods wiring 347F4F0C-E39C-4965-BF26-FF543BDE5E80
Sponsored

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A relay is simply a switch controlled by a switch. Sounds redundant, but the purpose is to isolate the high current under the hood and limit it to as short a wiring run as possible. That way you have less voltage drop, and less risk of the wiring or switch overheating.

Personally, I believe you should wire it as shown and an up fitter switch can be used to activate the relay. A 5 amp circuit should be enough to activate the relay.

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Upfitter switches already have fuse, relay and switch. Simply cut the wire in front of the relay, wire to an upfitter wire and ground and you are done. Very simple, done it many times myself

OP
OP

MBPhotos

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My only concern would be that they draw more than 5 amps. I’ll be using switch 1 for a winch eventually and switch 2 for a 30” or 40” light bar mounted to the bumper, so that leaves me with 3-6 which are all just a 5 amp.
So IF I go the “safe” route of keeping the harness in tact and just run the switch wires to an up fitter switch instead, there are 3 wires in that clip. 1 black which I assume is ground (do I still need to ground that wire or do I just put some electrical tape over it?) and then there’s a blue wire and a white wire, do I just twist those two together and tape them up?

again, sorry if some of these questions come off ignorant, I just don’t want to screw anything up while learning and still doing it myself.

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My only concern would be that they draw more than 5 amps. I’ll be using switch 1 for a winch eventually and switch 2 for a 30” or 40” light bar mounted to the bumper, so that leaves me with 3-6 which are all just a 5 amp.
So IF I go the “safe” route of keeping the harness in tact and just run the switch wires to an up fitter switch instead, there are 3 wires in that clip. 1 black which I assume is ground (do I still need to ground that wire or do I just put some electrical tape over it?) and then there’s a blue wire and a white wire, do I just twist those two together and tape them up?

again, sorry if some of these questions come off ignorant, I just don’t want to screw anything up while learning and still doing it myself.
3-6 are 10 amp
Ford Bronco Rough Country OSRAM pods wiring E6F5ABEB-D0F0-4E71-8B80-25ED640A79BE

Sponsored
OP
OP

MBPhotos

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmm not sure where the heck I saw 5 lol!
Appreciate all the help!

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cut it all off, connect hots from lights to an upfitter, and ground the negatives. That’s the whole purpose of the switches.

Why would you need an upfitter for a winch?

OP
OP

MBPhotos

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cut it all off, connect hots from lights to an upfitter, and ground the negatives. That’s the whole purpose of the switches.

Why would you need an upfitter for a winch?
Sounds simple enough, even for me! Thanks!

great question, I’m scratching my own head on that now. Lol!! And that actually works out perfect for me because now I can set them up this way:

1 - ARB twin compressor
2 - bumper mounted 30” or 40” amber light bar
3 - M&R amber fogs
4 - M&R white fogs
5 - pod lights
6 - BD reverse light kit W/ license plate relocation bracket

Worewren

Big Bend
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Awesome posts I got the RC fog lights and was bewildered by the wiring harnesses thanks for explanations. Put 50” light bar on aux 1, white fog on aux 2 snd amber on aux 3 easy after learning all I had to do is cut most everything off, wire hots and grounds. It’s a beautiful thing lol!😃

PrincipalD

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just unwrapped these and this would be the first thing I wire into my Bronco. What I hear people say is there are two options for the Upfitter switches. As I sit, I plan to snip off most of the harness components and simply wire red to red to Upfitter and black to black to ground. I would have two red hots going to the Upfitter switch (which is why I am bypassing the relay and button by cutting it off) and then two wires to a ground location.

This makes sense, but my toxic trait is over thinking. please confirm so I can blame any mistakes on mystery people online.
Sponsored