Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
2023 Big Bend, SAS, Tow package.

So I just spent the last several hours installing the Rough Country rear bumper.

Good product for the price range: Powder coating is thin, the welding splatter is everywhere on the exterior and obviously powder coated over; and the fitting of the bumper was a trial on one's marriage. I had the bumper bolted up three different times just to get the fitment correct.

There's a cutout provision for the tailgate shock bracket that appears to be in the wrong spot (in my opinion). IF it was moved about 1/2" towards the passenger side, the install would have gone up the first time with no unforeseen issues.

Again, we are happy with product now that it's installed and I'm no longer racking my brain trying to figure out 1/8".

I don't want to bash the product, as the price is about a grand less than anything else out there. So some fitment issues would be expected. Having to cut a brand new powder coated bumper is another thing.

Trying to tuck the bumper up tight against the body put the tailgate shock bracket resting on the bumper. As you can see, there's a cut-out for this bracket, but it does not line up (and yes, the bumper is centered).

From the top.
Ford Bronco Rough Country Rear Bumper install experience bumper bracket fitment

From underneath
Ford Bronco Rough Country Rear Bumper install experience bumper underneath

Here is the bumper angle without any adjustments or spacers.
Ford Bronco Rough Country Rear Bumper install experience bumper angl

I discussed the issues with a tech at Rough Country, and he was super helpful. He suggested readjusting the brackets and spacers (washers), which the spacers were lost in transit (not their fault what so ever). The bumper was left on my porch unbanded and lacking of all hardware to install the bumper. They took care of this immediately and without question.

So adjustments made: We lowered the hitch bracket all the way down to accommodate shock bracket. This amounted to 3/16" gap between the bottom of the bracket and the top of the bumper. We also installed one 1/8" washer to each side to the rearward frame bolt to level the bumper.
Ford Bronco Rough Country Rear Bumper install experience bracket spac

bumper leveled with 1/8" washer to the rearward frame bolt.
Ford Bronco Rough Country Rear Bumper install experience bumper side final spacin

So all was good at this point: Bumper is even left to right (never a problem), the bumper level (even though it doesn't appear that was with the picture provided) and the tailgate shock bracket is off the bumper by 3/16". We would have liked to tuck the bumper up tighter against the body, but 3/16" seemed like a safe space between the bracket and the bumper.

Now the bummer part........

The wife wanted the back-up lights, so she optioned the slim-line 6" (two in total) back-up lights. In order to simplify the installation I decided to use the center pin on the 7-pin trailer plug. So I had the harness to the plug-in disconnected during the bumper installation. After wiring the lights up and reinstalling the plug-in into the harness I found that the bumper sat too low to open the flap doors for the trailer plug-ins. After careful measurements, I found that the bumper was 5/16" too low to open the OEM flap door for the trailer plug-ins (for lack of better terminology). The difference between the shock bracket to the bumper and the ability to open the flap doors amounted to 1/8".

So removal and readjustment where made. This amounted to disconnecting the slim-line lights wiring harness; not a simple process, since I was done with the wiring and it was zip-tied up and tucked away. Then unbolting the bumper from the frame and the hitch plate (provided with the bumper). After multiple minuscule adjustments and fighting over 1/8" we opted to just cut the bumper. Since we only plan on using the 4-pin plug, we cut the bumper to accommodate only that flapper door plug-in.

You can see the cut-out here. I only cut enough to accommodate the 4-pin connector. You can also see the amount of uncut material blocking the 7-pin connector.
Ford Bronco Rough Country Rear Bumper install experience cutout

After finalization, the bumper looks good and will do what's intended. The wife will touch-up the cut out tomorrow and nobody but us will tell the difference.

The welding spatter will catch our wash mitts and leave blue material that will have to be picked out every time we wash the Bronco.

The 6" slim-line lights are stupid bright and match the Oracle taillights perfectly. I look forward to burning peoples retina's out when ever we back out; and I will enjoy that.

Their tech number actually connects to a person who is knowledgeable of their product and is helpful. I appreciate that lost service.

Singleshot
Sponsored

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I bought both front and rear bumpers several months ago and didn't have any problems as you mentioned. And I don't have any weld spatter either.

IMG_20230527_171040.jpg

IMG_20230517_195951.jpg

IMG_20230521_173936.jpg

OP
OP

Singleshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am pleased that your product was installed without issue and without cosmetic discrepancies. I encourage you to post some follow up images of the cutout for the tailgate bracket and a side view showing the levelness of the bumper without any washers.

I'd like to think my bumper is a Monday/Friday build and other people posting will verify this.

Again, I 'm not trying to slam Rough County; the tech's were very helpful. I'm only posting what my experience was.

Singleshot

OP
OP

Singleshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Onward's and upwards... So the rear bumper came with the license plate relocation bracket and associated hardware... Today, along with fixing the subwoofer delete "issue" we tackled the license plate bracket and OEM 3rd-brake light removal.

This is a spare tire mounted bracket that mounts to the top two lug nuts on the spare.

Ford Bronco Rough Country Rear Bumper install experience 1686442263112

We opted to go with the LiteDot combo for both the 3rd brake light and the license plate light (Rough Country supplies a license plate light). We had good luck with this product on a Jeep we had about a decade ago.
Ford Bronco Rough Country Rear Bumper install experience 1686442037328

First thing was shaving off the top of the bracket where RC's light mounted and then repainting it.

Beings the the OEM third brake light is right there, we had 2/3's of the wiring already done. We just needed to bring the license plate light power from the rear of the drivers side to the tailgate. I used the OEM power wire (no need to bring up the ground because we used the ground from the brake light).

I simply cut the OEM light connector off, folded and taped the ground and then extended the power wire. I used the rear crashbar to route the wire the passenger side, removed the Oracle taillight and brought the wire up to the taillight wiring grommet entering the cab. Removing the tape and zip tie allowed me to run a single wire through the grommet and into the cab.

The rest was fairly straight forward, the only time consuming issue was removing the OEM tape for the tailgate wiring harness and the then again at the grommet coming from inside the tailgate to the exterior. Then simply fishing the wire through all that to the outside of the tailgate.

This wire is fully protected from abrasion anywhere it's not inside the factory loom and I didn't punch any new holes in the body or grommets while doing this.

When we get our license plate, I will be customizing the license plate bracket to fit more snuggly against the spare tire. This will also bring everything down a bit. In direct bolt up, the plate bracket site just shy of 3" off the spare tire. By cutting and redrilling two holes I can bring that down to 1/2" or less.

the license plate bracket is pretty nice. It comes with all the needed hardware and is absolutely straight forward in mounting it up.

The LiteDot 3rd brake light/license plate light is bullet proof. I am unsure if the 3rd brake light is "street legal", but we never had an issue with it on the Jeep and it is bright for only having three LED's. We ran it for years and never had an issue from anyone or the product itself.

No pictures taken during the install, but here is the final look.
Rough Country rear bumper
Rough Country slim-line backup lights
Rough Country license plate bracket
LiteDot 3rd brake license plate light

Ford Bronco Rough Country Rear Bumper install experience 1686444585828

Ford Bronco Rough Country Rear Bumper install experience 1686444608414

Ford Bronco Rough Country Rear Bumper install experience 1686444631133

Ford Bronco Rough Country Rear Bumper install experience 1686444651373

Ford Bronco Rough Country Rear Bumper install experience 1686444670996

CM81

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have the front bumper and was thinking about getting the rear one at some point.

Sponsored

M_Bronco

Base
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pacifica, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I bought both front and rear bumpers several months ago and didn't have any problems as you mentioned. And I don't have any weld spatter either.

Did you have to cut the skid plate on the sides to accommodate the D rings holder?
Thanks

graham5david

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have the front and rear bumper. They are great. I also have the license plate bracket. It will crack where the RC logo is cut out. I welded a plate behind it to fix the crack and fill in the RC logo. Then flipped the license plate mount and tremed the surfaces of the mounting arms to tuck it in closer to the tire. It's much more sturdy. Tucking it closer keeps the license plate from getting bent up from the drive through car wash. I also used a different light. The RC light is cheap and breaks quickly.

Ford Bronco Rough Country Rear Bumper install experience 20230416_163105

Ford Bronco Rough Country Rear Bumper install experience 20230416_163128

20231020_175736.jpg

20231020_175630.jpg

Last edited:

graham5david

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would say the rear bumper is a great value. It's strong and looks great. The front looks great but. I think I would have preferred a higher end front bumper. But for the price these are great. I normally buy expedition one front bumpers but they are 2k. The rough country is definitely not as good but it's a step up from the factory modular bumper in my mind and much better than the plastic my base came with. But I think the RC is the best bang for the buck.

CM81

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just removed my RC front bumper. I liked it and it was pretty good, but it got replaced with something I wanted from the beginning. Now I have a bumper sitting in my apt.
Sponsored