Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2004 Mustang GT, 2021 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently purchased and received the Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement and got to installing it last night. The installation is very simple and straight forward.
Ford Bronco Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement - Installed - fastener issue ytAznEl9KtT502Uu0Cn7NXLNRQ=w696-h927-no?authuser=0

However, I do want to point out a few things to note if you chose to install. First you'll need something to use as spacers to support the tailgate when you're removing the exterior hinge bolts. I had to make do with a few random tools.
Ford Bronco Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement - Installed - fastener issue -W8CiXoTQ5GEzvtaQREkSLUleQ=w696-h927-no?authuser=0

You'll also need something for the latch side to insert between the tailgate and the quarter panel. I used a small plastic panel pulling tool that I was able to wedge into the gap. (no picture)

The main concern I have with this install is the supplied bolts and washers that are to be used when reinstalling the carrier. The factory bolts are 8x30mm flange head bolts and the supplied are 8x35mm standard bolts with washers. The problem is the the supplied washers are about half the size of the flange head bolts. My concern is that they will eventually pull through the plastic of the carrier.

Ford Bronco Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement - Installed - fastener issue mFwiHjCRB_Q2jYxcqkwzUsqVOw=w696-h927-no?authuser=0

As you can see in the picture above there is quite the size difference between the stock flange head bolts and the supplied bolt and washer.

I reached out to Rough Country via IG and was told that they would relay this information to the Development team. My guess is they factored that most people would pair this with their Spare Tire Relocation mount which seems to come with larger washers. But in my instance I wasn't in need of the relocation mount. I was purchasing this in hope of solving an annoying creak that seemed to be coming from the tailgate that would go away once the spare was removed.

So my solution was to run by Home Depot this morning and pick up 8 new $0.15 washers that were at least as large as the flange head bolts.

Pictures below of the installation process.
Ford Bronco Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement - Installed - fastener issue iHWC3_xbI0Fj0kNRd2HuYq9Kg=w1236-h927-no?authuser=0

Ford Bronco Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement - Installed - fastener issue LvSVVR6ePMQYlWo9wIDqsAZtQA=w696-h927-no?authuser=0

Make-shift spacer and tape for alignment purposes. Also, it should be noted that the reinforcment will be making direct contact with the body at the spare tire carrier mounting points. I had some left over vinyl that I used as a protective layer between the reinforcment and the paint.
Ford Bronco Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement - Installed - fastener issue KZYst0BSdCvMfoDdHKMj56e6w=w1395-h927-no?authuser=0

Hinge bolts require a T47 torx bit, unfortunately I did not have one. But a 6mm allen got the job done.
Ford Bronco Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement - Installed - fastener issue OSNs9bcUz6ZyiaicUWIAG1vaXw=w696-h927-no?authuser=0

Installed and test fitting the hardware.
Ford Bronco Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement - Installed - fastener issue dcXPbLIgSp57QTsWXlo3rob3yw=w696-h927-no?authuser=0

Final look
Ford Bronco Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement - Installed - fastener issue ytAznEl9KtT502Uu0Cn7NXLNRQ=w696-h927-no?authuser=0
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently purchased and received the Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement and got to installing it last night. The installation is very simple and straight forward.

However, I do want to point out a few things to note if you chose to install. First you'll need something to use as spacers to support the tailgate when you're removing the exterior hinge bolts. I had to make do with a few random tools.

You'll also need something for the latch side to insert between the tailgate and the quarter panel. I used a small plastic panel pulling tool that I was able to wedge into the gap. (no picture)

The main concern I have with this install is the supplied bolts and washers that are to be used when reinstalling the carrier. The factory bolts are 8x30mm flange head bolts and the supplied are 8x35mm standard bolts with washers. The problem is the the supplied washers are about half the size of the flange head bolts. My concern is that they will eventually pull through the plastic of the carrier.

As you can see in the picture above there is quite the size difference between the stock flange head bolts and the supplied bolt and washer.

I reached out to Rough Country via IG and was told that they would relay this information to the Development team. My guess is they factored that most people would pair this with their Spare Tire Relocation mount which seems to come with larger washers. But in my instance I wasn't in need of the relocation mount. I was purchasing this in hope of solving an annoying creak that seemed to be coming from the tailgate that would go away once the spare was removed.

So my solution was to run by Home Depot this morning and pick up 8 new $0.15 washers that were at least as large as the flange head bolts.

Make-shift spacer and tape for alignment purposes. Also, it should be noted that the reinforcment will be making direct contact with the body at the spare tire carrier mounting points. I had some left over vinyl that I used as a protective layer between the reinforcment and the paint.

Hinge bolts require a T47 torx bit, unfortunately I did not have one. But a 6mm allen got the job done.

Final look
Excellent write up and photos. Curious to know if this solved the creaking issue with the spare tire. Did it fix it?

OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent write up and photos. Curious to know if this solved the creaking issue with the spare tire. Did it fix it?
It did not. It did help a bit, but the creak is still there. The wheel and tire combo with the sasquatch is nearly 90lbs, so it's a lot of weight hanging off the back of that tailgate. The tailgate has max recommend weight load of 133lbs.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The interesting thing about that Titan tank (which I have been thinking about too) is they show it installed on an AEV bumper (wonder if they OEM the tank for AEV?) where the spare and tank actually are hung off the bumper, not the tailgate. Hopefully somebody in the future will make a bumper like that, that will support more weight.

Edit, 2 of the pictures show that type of bumper, one does look like stock hinges.

Sponsored

wanna1

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 2022 Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
^
I'm waiting for a steel bumper that includes a spare tire support/pivot that still integrates with the rear door.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not noticed this issue. Have you asked your dealer to take a look?

OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not noticed this issue. Have you asked your dealer to take a look?
Not yet, figured I'd do so during my first service.

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It did not. It did help a bit, but the creak is still there. The wheel and tire combo with the sasquatch is nearly 90lbs, so it's a lot of weight hanging off the back of that tailgate. The tailgate has max recommend weight load of 133lbs.
This, right here, is why I am a proponent of a drop down tailgate.

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Final look
What’s this bracket made out of? Is it steel?

Sponsored
OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What’s this bracket made out of? Is it steel?
I'm pretty sure it's steel, it's not stated any where but it is magnetic. It's also powdercoated.

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the reinforcement really for? Is it really neccessary? Only applies to bigger tires?

OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)