Sponsored

Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips.

Bronco1988

Big Bend
First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sasquatch Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ok. Problems.

1. The box is just HUGE.

20220622_201712.jpg

2. It's way to big to fit in BAMF location in front of the battery.

20220622_202330.jpg

3. The only viable space is near passenger firewall... right next to the turbo. 🔥 Nope.

20220622_202343.jpg

4. The heat exchanger leaves no room under the bash plate without relocation.

20220622_201845.jpg

5. I want to cut off the casing parts that make it so big... but I opened the case there's a better solution.

20220622_201816.jpg

6. None of this stuff is waterproofed. They put a nice rubber cover over the power switch and remote cable... which gives you a false impression of watertightness... because from the underside (surprise), the edges have up to a 1/4" gap between the two halves of the casing. Some of the components (like the bluetooth relay) don't look like anything I'd expose to any weather at all. WTF?

20220622_201821.jpg

So since the "guts" of it look small and removeable, I'm inclined to get a waterproof electronics project box and reassemble all that kit in a MUCH more manageable (and protective) casing.

Loving the winch. Hating the control box. Part of me is considering just putting it back on top of the winch... but I risk wanting to throat-punch myself every time I looked at it.

So this is no longer a 'tonight' project. For now, a couple of frosty Guinness adult beverages will help me decide the plan of attack. 🍻

20220622_202346.jpg

20220622_201900.jpg
Great info. I think I'm leaning towards the Smitty bilt winch due to the control pack dimensions being around 3"x7"x3.5" when I did some quick measurements at 4wheel Parts the other day.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok. Problems.

1. The box is just HUGE.

20220622_201712.jpg

2. It's way to big to fit in BAMF location in front of the battery.

20220622_202330.jpg

3. The only viable space is near passenger firewall... right next to the turbo. 🔥 Nope.

20220622_202343.jpg

4. The heat exchanger leaves no room under the bash plate without relocation.

20220622_201845.jpg

5. I want to cut off the casing parts that make it so big... but I opened the case there's a better solution.

20220622_201816.jpg

6. None of this stuff is waterproofed. They put a nice rubber cover over the power switch and remote cable... which gives you a false impression of watertightness... because from the underside (surprise), the edges have up to a 1/4" gap between the two halves of the casing. Some of the components (like the bluetooth relay) don't look like anything I'd expose to any weather at all. WTF?

20220622_201821.jpg

So since the "guts" of it look small and removeable, I'm inclined to get a waterproof electronics project box and reassemble all that kit in a MUCH more manageable (and protective) casing.

Loving the winch. Hating the control box. Part of me is considering just putting it back on top of the winch... but I risk wanting to throat-punch myself every time I looked at it.

So this is no longer a 'tonight' project. For now, a couple of frosty Guinness adult beverages will help me decide the plan of attack. 🍻

20220622_202346.jpg

20220622_201900.jpg
Sounds doable, but difficult. :cautious:

Do you really care how tall the control box is, if you can simply relocate the front camera to above the fairlead with Jcr’s camera relocation kit? 🤔

I realize it is not cheap, but it’s well designed and logically positioned. 🤷‍♂️

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Finally got my trim pieces trimmed and installed this evening. Worst part of the install IMO.

Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 3D0062C8-AB36-426E-A05A-1086112C49A1
Did you use a routing bit or spinning disc to cut? I’m about to do mine..

Sponsored

Rus-T

Black Diamond
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did you use a routing bit or spinning disc to cut? I’m about to do mine..
I used a oscillating multi tool blade for the straight cuts and a dremel with a sanding bit for the curved part then I took the dremel with a polishing bit to smooth and clean up the cuts.

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I used a oscillating multi tool blade for the straight cuts and a dremel with a sanding bit for the curved part then I took the dremel with a polishing bit to smooth and clean up the cuts.
Thank you

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reach in push the top tab up and the bottom tab down. You do not need a lot of force. Then push the sensor in.
You are my favorite person today!! That was so easy, it took 5x longer to reinstall since I'm not installing until tomorrow (or now maybe tonight).

For others, the tabs mentioned basically surround the sensor, you're pushing them open (up and down) and the sensor pops out.

Adding pic. I must need written, photo and video instructions, but well worth not having to remove the bumper.
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 1656012324506

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For anyone trying to use the LOD frame tie in kit. Well it sucks. It does not fit with the modular bumper and hits the steel bash plate as well. Of course you don’t know this until your trying to put the bumper on😡. This on top of the cheapest bolts and nuts, washers available. So tomorrows project since I’m frustrated about it, is to take the bumper off and cut the bottoms off of the frame tie ins and prime paint them so I can continue
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. E02064CF-B04C-4F49-A550-3C01C1A8B86F

Last edited:
OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You are my favorite person today!! That was so easy, it took 5x longer to reinstall since I'm not installing until tomorrow (or now maybe tonight).

For others, the tabs mentioned basically surround the sensor, you're pushing them open (up and down) and the sensor pops out.

Adding pic. I must need written, photo and video instructions, but well worth not having to remove the bumper.
Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. E02064CF-B04C-4F49-A550-3C01C1A8B86F

Sponsored

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Even more awesome, thank you! After finally finishing the Fabtech 1.5" spacer install front and rear last night, any pain that can be saved is much appreciated!

What's the LOD kit for?

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Even more awesome, thank you! After finally finishing the Fabtech 1.5" spacer install front and rear last night, any pain that can be saved is much appreciated!

What's the LOD kit for?
Well when I installed my wife’s ford performance winch it has frame stiffening brackets that come with the kit. Me being me I figured well if ford reinforced the frame ends there’s a reason. LODoffroad was the only set I found available. It’s not a huge deal it just would have been nice in the install directions to say if using ford oem steel bumper trim here.

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds doable, but difficult. :cautious:

Do you really care how tall the control box is, if you can simply relocate the front camera to above the fairlead with Jcr’s camera relocation kit? 🤔

I realize it is not cheap, but it’s well designed and logically positioned. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, I kinda punted on the solenoid relocation. You're right, I'll eventually need a camera relocation anyway (since removing the control box only kept the top half usable).

So the real question became keep half a camera now and still have to figure out the relocation... or just leave it on top and have a working winch today (but no camera). So now instead of being nice and sleek... it's huge... but at least it's functional. Hopefully I still get some radiator flow... lol

I also decided to mount up an OEM brush guard to frame it in and make it look less like an afterthought.

20220623_173024.jpg

20220623_173117.jpg

20220623_173350.jpg

20220623_173408.jpg

The only thing I don't look forward to about the camera relocation is having to remove the winch and the grille to remove the camera.

@Sreevie had a great idea if I decide to go on with the solenoid relication... and that's to just purchase a smaller control box. Always an option.

Does anyone know if camera relocation also moves the washer fluid line?

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

M
Yeah, I kinda punted on the solenoid relocation. You're right, I'll eventually need a camera relocation anyway (since removing the control box only kept the top half usable).

So the real question became keep half a camera now and still have to figure out the relocation... or just leave it on top and have a working winch today (but no camera). So now instead of being nice and sleek... it's huge... but at least it's functional. Hopefully I still get some radiator flow... lol

I also decided to mount up an OEM brush guard to frame it in and make it look less like an afterthought.

20220623_173024.jpg

20220623_173117.jpg

20220623_173350.jpg

20220623_173408.jpg

The only thing I don't look forward to about the camera relocation is having to remove the winch and the grille to remove the camera.

@Sreevie had a great idea if I decide to go on with the solenoid relication... and that's to just purchase a smaller control box. Always an option.

it would be kinda nice to put the camera right below the winch since you don’t have the light bar. But then I’m sure it would get full of mud. I do believe the JCR kit extends both the washer hose and wiring.

ne2000

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Rough country winch mount unbox/ INSTALL tips. 20220623_173408

Yes the washer line needs moved, extended or capped.
Sponsored