Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The bash shield is $100 extra, and looks like it's made of steel. Galvanic corrosion is real, so I wonder if there is an insulator between the aluminum arm and the steel bash plate.

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The bash shield is $100 extra, and looks like it's made of steel. Galvanic corrosion is real, so I wonder if there is an insulator between the aluminum arm and the steel bash plate.
On the site it says:

• Option to add a Bash Shield – made from UMHWPE aka Cutting Board Material
Basically plastic right? Looks like it screws into the arms via countersinking the bolts and I would imagine the bolts / screws are coated to prevent any corrosion. I know from personal experience this material is great at sliding over rocks. It will get gouges cut in it but really good stuff.

OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the site it says:

• Option to add a Bash Shield – made from UMHWPE aka Cutting Board Material
Basically plastic right? Looks like it screws into the arms via countersinking the bolts and I would imagine the bolts / screws are coated to prevent any corrosion. I know from personal experience this material is great at sliding over rocks. It will get gouges cut in it but really good stuff.
They will get trashed but that's the point. Slides over easily. Military HMMWV had belly sliders from the same.

Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Been planning to make my own spring perches… I’d rather have stainless ones anyway… but those look nice

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The plastic used on the bash plates on the lower arms is pretty darn durable, I wouldn't anticipate any problems. Although, I don't anticipate a problem with the stock arms, but we will see. The adjustable upper arms are a great idea, if much lift is added it will be nice to adjust the pinion angle. With the CV driveline it's questionable if that is needed, unlike with a u-joint driveline. We'll see how well the CV driveline holds up, see if Ford learned from the Jeep CV drivelines. The Jeep CV drivelines regularly get replaced with u-joint drivelines on lifted and wheeled rigs.

While the rod ends and spherical bearings are nice, there needs to be a good reason to do it. Not just to be different and pretty (unless that's what you want). I'm going to throw out an opinion, and observation, based on many years of experience with modified Jeeps. One of the most important reasons many of us are so attracted to the Bronco is because how nicely it will drive and handle, both on road and off road. Removing rubber and poly suspension joints and replacing them with steel on steel joints adds vibration and harshness back in that Ford engineers spent so much effort to minimize. Additionally, rod ends and spherical bearings wear out, and when they do the clack and thunk. Now, in a high performance car a stiff joint can improve performance and the rest is irrelevant, but when we get a car because of how nice it drives, it would be nice to keep it that way. How this all goes is to be determined, but I thought I'd throw out a perspective based on many years of experience.

While modifying our Jeeps, the very large group of folks that I hang with, have always had a philosophy that we would not do any modification to a trail Jeep that made it better off road but worse on road. Excepting, of course, a higher center of gravity from a lift, which is unavoidable. We've seen plenty of builds that produce a much less stable and worse street vehicle, while other builds are kick ass off road and still very nice on the street. Since we're just getting started with Bronco mods, and aftermarket products, I'm just throwing this out there.
Sponsored