Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There is no requirement for anything (like having a Jeep) to run the Rubicon Trail. Believe it or not, the reason the Rubicon Trail is open to anyone is that it is actually considered a real state road. Environmentalists have sought to close/block/stop use of this but because it is literally a real road (as per California and Nevada) they cannot block or close or impeded passage in a state road, although this is an ‘unmaintained road’. So, anyone can run it/drive on it but in reality you need min of 33s (preferably 35s), under carriage protection/bash plates, and lockers to actually make it the whole way.

So have at it (but best to bring parts and a buddy or two).

Here‘s the history of the Rubicon Trail. https://www.rubicontrailfoundation.org/rubiconhistory/
I assume easier in a 2 door?
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How long did that trip take you? Two weeks?
I did the trip with my son. We spent 16 days but we took our time, visited friends, camped, hiked, mountain biked and visited out of the way places and did some college visits too. We then shipped the Jeep back on a truck from California. Put 4K miles on the Jeep one way from Pit to Cali.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think you have to have a Jeep or Trail Rated badge to drive the Rubicon. Jeep trademarked it or something.
You can take anything you want ,and most of it will come out ?

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I live an hour away from the Rubicon start but I would be afraid to take a new rig out there.

Been watching videos and seems like there are some really tight spots that almost guarantee some body damage.

Hoping some good rock rails come out aftermarket that actually stick out and protect better, then maybe I'll think about it.

I'd love to go as a passenger for the first time (in someone else's rig)

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is no requirement for anything (like having a Jeep) to run the Rubicon Trail. Believe it or not, the reason the Rubicon Trail is open to anyone is that it is actually considered a real state road. Environmentalists have sought to close/block/stop use of this but because it is literally a real road (as per California and Nevada) they cannot block or close or impede passage on a state road, although this is an ‘unmaintained road’. So, anyone can run it/drive on it but in reality you need min of 33s (preferably 35s), under carriage protection/bash plates, and lockers to actually make it the whole way.

So have at it (but best to bring parts and a buddy or two).

Here‘s the history of the Rubicon Trail. https://www.rubicontrailfoundation.org/rubiconhistory/
You got that right, I remember replacing a clutch slave cylinder while propped up on a bolder one time, lost the clutch coming out of little sluice and had to wheel in 2nd until I found a place to stop and replace it..... fun times!

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How is a worse break over angle better for getting over obstacles?
A longer wheelbase offers more stability, usually. Steep obstacles and off camber situations mostly.

A shorter wheelbase is better for break over and in tight spaces. Having the tighter turn radius could mean the difference between making it through an obstacle or dragging it through the obstacle.

Sponsored

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Same question??
The original question was is a 4 door better and my answer was yes, in my opinion. A better break over angle is better in certain situations and a longer wheelbase is better in others. Good driving and wheel placement skills can overcome some things.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I will do the Rubi at some point. I'd rather get the first scratch on dirt than in a parking lot.

But my first trip will be Moab. And probably VERY soon after I get the Bronco home from Iowa.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I want to get the Bronco Rodeo under my belt before doing too much. I wonder if that is going to run into scheduling issues.

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rubicon trail is my dream. Has been since I was a kid reading about it in 4WD magazines. Hope to get out there with my family when the babies get a little older.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How is a worse break over angle better for getting over obstacles?
The Jeep LJ was a stretched wheelbase 2 door Wrangler, and many people consider it a holy grail, as the longer wheelbase helps pull it up and over some obstacles. Many people that mod Wranglers stretch the wheelbase, of course they also go with bigger tires and axles so they're not really losing any breakover vs. stock wheelbase + height.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/lj-wrangler-specs
Sponsored