Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

An article from Gearpatrol purports to reveal some new Ford Bronco details directly from a Ford Engineer familiar with the development of the 2020/2021 Bronco. Here's the summary of the claimed details:
  • Bronco is in 3rd design phase (typically, there's only one phase). Another design study has been commissioned because it looks too much like a Wrangler.
  • Basic concept is that it will look like a Ford Troller with 4 doors
  • No 2 door version because "there's just no market for it"
  • Removable modular roof that comes off in three sections (only top section removable, not back)
  • "They want it comparable [to the Wrangler] in every way, except rock crawling."
  • Will meet water wading depth requirements of 500mm
  • Raptor Bronco is not in the works yet
  • Powerplant will be similar to the 325 horsepower 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 found in Fusion
  • Hybrid version being discussed
  • Starting price in the $30,000 range
  • Still on track for 2020 release
Sponsored

Peter S.

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Range Rover P38
Oh boy. Looks pretty bleak. The 6G concept is too perfect I guess. Ford's designers are apparently crippled beneath corporate market studies, the team managers are told to keep the designers grounded and in accordance with the market studies, and the corporate bosses have never owned a Bronco and therefore have no truly passionate inspiration to contiribute. It's mind boggling that Ford's higher-ups haven't reached out to the 6G team, acknowledged their great work, and then, having broken the ice, asked them to participate in the design process... no... actually hired them for stone-cold-cash-money... based on their nearly PERFECT viewer rating and fandom forum buzz, which places the 6G concept in the "must buy" column for those of us who might actually buy one. What data do they have that rates better than that? My guess is they're so out of touch, that none of them have really spent time sifting through the overwhelmingly positive response to the 6G concept. Shame on them for being so detached from the real world Bronco fan base. I'm not buying a Jeep wannabe.

First time contributor. Probably the last.

Dub347sbf

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 bronco sport 302, 2013 F150 ecoboost 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sheesh, that rock crawling bit really sucks. I was hoping that it would excel in that category. I've followed this site for a while, first time poster. Hello everyone.

Peter S.

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Range Rover P38
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so glum. It's just that I can't understand how they could have worked their concept to a point where now it too closely resembles a Wrangler, when it's a Bronco they're designing! Why do they want it 'comparable to a Wrangler in every way'?! Shouldnt they be trying to channel the spirit of a Bronco, not that of a Wrangler?!

What makes the 6G speak to people is that it oozes with classic Bronco DNA, seen through a 21st century lens. That's because, by their own account, the 6G team started with a picture of a classic Bronco taped to their design room wall. It's sounds like Ford started with a picture of a Wrangler. Makes no sense.

But maybe this is all off the mark and they're really trying to do the right thing and will knock our socks off. One can hope.

Sponsored

bigdedition

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 1985 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

An article from Gearpatrol purports to reveal some new Ford Bronco details directly from a Ford Engineer familiar with the development of the 2020/2021 Bronco. Here's the summary of the claimed details:
  • Bronco is in 3rd design phase (typically, there's only one phase). Another design study has been commissioned because it looks too much like a Wrangler.
  • Basic concept is that it will look like a Ford Troller with 4 doors
  • No 2 door version because "there's just no market for it"
  • Removable modular roof that comes off in three sections (only top section removable, not back)
  • "They want it comparable [to the Wrangler] in every way, except rock crawling."
  • Will meet water wading depth requirements of 500mm
  • Raptor Bronco is not in the works yet
  • Powerplant will be similar to the 325 horsepower 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 found in Fusion
  • Hybrid version being discussed
  • Starting price in the $30,000 range
  • Still on track for 2020 release
excited

RSQMONKEY

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge 4 Door 3500
I reject your reality! WHY can't the Bronco compete with the Tahoe XL or Suburban XL. Larger (tougher) frame and maybe even a Power Stroke (I get all tingly thinking about that) . Larger footprint so four or more actual adults could fit inside comfortably. Maybe I just need to push for them to bring back the Excursion. My own personal one man social movement. Can a brother just get a power stroke and a 1 ton frame in a SUV?!. Dammit Man!

Dub347sbf

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 bronco sport 302, 2013 F150 ecoboost 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Also just realized, 500mm wading depth is not that high? The Ranger has more im pretty sure. That and the rock crawling statement has me worried about capabilities stock.

Craig34

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 cj5 ford f150 kawasaki H2
Please give me the torque of a diesal or v8 four crawling and trails I would rather have torque than hp I will take 2 door base model in yellow I do not need a vehicle to tell me where I am at I can find my own way thank you. Ford you should take some hints from the g6 forum maybe they should have a bronco dream survey an see what people want. You think they would want to build what we want instead they will build what they think will sell and hope we buy it. NO ECOPOOP I WILL NOT BUY IT

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Man.....if there's no 2 door version I won't ever glance over at this "Troller" look alike.
Sponsored