Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Besides gas mileage, is there any known issues with running 4A in Normal mode all the time? Thanks
Sponsored

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wouldnā€™t in the summer because thereā€™s no point. But if you live in a climate that gets snow, in winter i would set in 4A and leave it.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I live in north central Wisconsin and I have 4A on my Expedition and I have never ever turned it on. Iā€™ll use the 4H if I need a bit of help getting unfloundered in the snow.

kurkowski41

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Bronco 4BT, 1996 F350 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In the few new Fords that I've driven with 4A, I avoid running it. I hate the way I can feel it slam the transfer case into gear when it starts to slip. If I know it's slick out I just throw it in 4H and run that way.

Sponsored

johnston.zach

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I live in north central Wisconsin and I have 4A on my Expedition and I have never ever turned it on. Iā€™ll use the 4H if I need a bit of help getting unfloundered in the snow.
Definitely northern wisconsin winters

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used to put my old silverado half ton in 4A all the time in the rain. It made pulling out in traffic and getting off the line in the wet much quicker and confident in a pickup with a light back end. I haven't had a 4A in a long time, but I'd imagine it would be the same. 2wd most of the time, and when you need it, it'd lock in the front just when you'd slip a bit. Then it's back to 2wd.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To each their own, but it's a great feature to not ever take advantage of. I loved 4A in my F-150, particularly on wet days.

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4A is one of the reasons in getting a Bronco over a 4runner. My xterrra is part time 4WD and my first 4x4 vehicle, but that RWD by default thing killed me as someone who learned to drive in CO winters with FWD instead. Based on my knowledge you'd only ever engage it when you know the roads could be sketchy, which happens constantly in the mountains here, but if I know the roads are mostly fine I wouldn't use it

Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I use 4A in my pickup when roads alternate between snow covered and partially snow covered. Other than that, I like to make the decision as to whether it is 2wd or 4wd.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I run my F-150 in A4 from October to April (snow/ice) and during the summer in the rain as it likes to get tail happy in the wet.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found it interesting that the Sport mode set it to 4A
Of course it does... it helps to keep putting traction down when you're givin' 'er the beans.

For really aggressive, dynamic driving, that's when you want AWD as well...

These systems aren't necessarily about wet conditions... it's about slippery conditions... and something is "slippery" whenever the force being applied exceeds the available friction/traction.

Want to keep accelerating and clawing your way through corners to overcome understeer from a RWD vehicle? Enable AWD.

OP
OP
Boxer4

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Of course it does... it helps to keep putting traction down when you're givin' 'er the beans.

These systems aren't necessarily about wet conditions... it's about slippery conditions... and something is "slippery" whenever the force being applied exceeds the available friction/traction.

Want to keep accelerating and clawing your way through corners to overcome understeer from a RWD vehicle? Enable AWD.
The Sport 4A mode definitely has a ā€œ heavier ā€œ feel while driving.
Normal 2h ( 2 door Sas ) feels more nimble and responsive.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

The best part about this is the drastically different driving style necessary to maximize the potential of AWD over RWD when driving anything over six tenths.

I digress though, it's not as if even 2% of drivers on the road could actively identify the different braking and throttle methodologies necessary for AWD/RWD driving.

There are 2 pedals for a reason, because you have 2 feet. Good enough for the DMV, good enough for 98% of drivers on planet Earth.
Sponsored