Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because it will scratch your finish.

This is undoubtedly true, but the degree to which it bothers most is a hot topic.

Would I take a Ferrari through a brush wash? No

Would I take my Bronco through one? Yes
this is just not true. Not at all.
Are there some bad washes yes - but this is not the norm. If that were true the car washing industry would not exist.

there are two types of washes touchless & cloth
if you are going to a brush style wash it was built in the 90's or earlier and the equipment is out of date. Yes do not go there as their equipment is decades old.

Soft cloth in a good wash is typically changed out every couple years. Soft cloth will shine the paint better as it comes into contact.

Touchless will not come into contact and is the alternative for those who fear swirl marks. FYI if you don't bucket wash with multiple hand cleaner mitts or change out micro fiber rags as you dry, you have just as much of a chance of swirl marks as going thru a cloth wash. OF course swirl marks are easily corrected spending a few hours with a claybar & wax session.

Take your pick but I can show you a 10 year old car that gets auto washed (soft cloth)every week at a minimum, and the finish is not scratched.

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

this is just not true. Not at all.
Are there some bad washes yes - but this is not the norm. If that were so the car washing industry would not exist.

there are two types of washes touchless & cloth
if you are going to a brush style wash it was built in the 90's or earlier and the equipment is out of date. Yes do not go there as their equipment is decades old.

Soft cloth in a good wash is typically changed out every couple years. Soft cloth will shine the paint better as it comes into contact.

Touchless will not come into contact and is the alternative for those who fear swirl marks. FYI if you don't bucket wash with multiple hand cleaner mitts or change out micro fiber rags as you dry, you have just as much of a chance of swirl marks as going thru a cloth wash. OF course swirl marks are easily corrected spending a few hours with a claybar & wax session.

Take your pick but I can show you a 10 year old car that gets washed every week at a minimum, and the finish is not scratched.
I'm with you 100%

I don't care at all and my Bronco goes through a cloth wash every other day as I mentioned.

But in reality a touch wash will 'scratch' your finish. That's what swirl marks are, scratches (however fine and light). 99% of humans don't care, people on car forums typically do in my experience lol

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here's the wording from the latest edition of owner's manual from Ford. You can see they advise against auto washes for Raptor, Sasquatch or Soft Top owners.
Yeah, the Sasquatch is on the list because it might be too tall or the tires might be too wide. I'm sure that's true at some car washes, but it fits just fine in the one that I go to.

I was just there about an hour ago, going through the three-step process to remove the mud that I had packed into the wheel wells. 1) Scrape out the big chunks, 2) Go to a wand, do-it-yourself car wash and get most of the mud out, 3) Go to the drive through car wash and get it mostly clean.

What I started with:
L7lOUIm.jpg

Sponsored

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was just there about an hour ago, going through the three-step process to remove the mud that I had packed into the wheel wells. 1) Scrape out the big chunks, 2) Go to a wand, do-it-yourself car wash and get most of the mud out, 3) Go to the drive through car wash and get it mostly clean.
I use the same process when returning from off road, particularly on the wheel wells and undercarriage. My local auto wash has an undercarriage spray but I still find the hand spray method is the only way to get the bottom of the vehicle decently clean.

SilverSurfer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond 4dr MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My hard top can't handle the rain, so I wouldn't take it to a car wash. Nobody has leaks when they go through? That has me optimistic that Ford service will be able to fix it.

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a paid membership with a very reputable cloth wash company for all my vehicles. I take my Bronco through at least once a week if not more. I have never had any issues with my hard top with roof rail system.

With most reputable locations they have a height clearance bar located near the pay or member scan gates (before you pay). If you fit under it you are good. Most reputable locations with cloth rotating systems, have sensors to read hood ht, roof ht, and side width. The conveyor systems are designed to let the employee know on entering if your tire is too wide.

I run a 5" lift, 37x13.5 on 10" wide rims, and my tires with proper rim offset sit out past my fenders flares by almost 4-5". I still can roll through the clearance bar with about 4" to spare. My tires being wider than most fit just fine in the conveyor (modern systems have 1 conveyor on the driver side). Even being a M/T tire, they do not rub nor try to jump the roller guides. And I damn sure have not had any issues with my hard top or rail system. The only thing I do as preventive alertness is bring my mirrors in, as they are not the strongest mirror in my opinion based on experience with other trucks.

For the most on here to chime in with such direct negativity (ones opinion and not factual) misleads anyone trying to be sincere with their question.

The only time I had any issue was when a northern from New York was on the conveyor in front of me and halfway through he decided to lay on his brakes when you are required to be in neutral until you get a green lite. I ran up on his rear bumper and the lady behind me ran into my rear hitch which punctured her front bumper. I was in my 2021 Ranger at the time. I had no damage, but couldn't say that about the other two.

Yikes!

Wildtrak
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Much like a few of the dirty peeler joints I’ve been to, I have been choosing the no touch option for ole Pinocchio. We don’t know where them wash wheels have been! Could have been a filthy Bronco just before us. I’m afraid to catch the grit… 😎 Mama would be none too happy since it is technically hers. 😂

Sponsored

DaBronCo33

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Base
There seems to be A LOT of drama queens on these boards that are apparently super sensitive about exposing their rugged off-road vehicle to the slightest of imperfections.

Take it out into the woods, let the branches scratch it up, get the tires muddy, and then take it to the car wash. Why buy this rig if your afraid of the car wash, lol?

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Never trust a car wash.
tumblr_msw0o5mzsX1ry46hlo1_400.gif

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ran my 22 OBX with the hard top thru the car wash countless times, no damage, no leaks.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With the top failure rate just hitting its stride I’d say car wash is fine. More are damaged that weren’t washed that were. Think it’s a load bearing issue.

I figured that sticker was more for the dealer porters and salesmen.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Driver side rear window
Ford Bronco Running MIC hard top through car wash? tumblr_msw0o5mzsX1ry46hlo1_400
I'm gonna assume that is to check the owners manual, which says this:

CLEANING THE EXTERIOR PRECAUTIONS

Immediately remove fuel spillages, bird droppings, insect deposits and road tar from your vehicle. These items may cause damage to your vehicle’s paintwork or trim over time.
Remove any exterior accessories, for example antennas, before entering a car wash.
Cleaning the Exterior Precautions - Raptor, Sasquatch or Soft Top package
Wash your vehicle by hand, or by using a touchless commercial wash with no mechanical tracks on the floor.
Sponsored