Murphy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2004 JEEP WRANGLER, 2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I picked up my hard top bronco a few weeks ago and haven’t even washed it yet because of this lol. I’m kinda worried about taking it thru the auto wash but don’t really have a choice as of now. Haven’t driven it much, but still want to wash it.
Don't have a choice? you can go to a touchless car wash or just use the old fashioned car wash and do it yourself. You've always got the choice not to mess up your ride.
Sponsored

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm gonna assume that is to check the owners manual, which says this:
CLEANING THE EXTERIOR PRECAUTIONS
Immediately remove fuel spillages, bird droppings, insect deposits and road tar from your vehicle. These items may cause damage to your vehicle’s paintwork or trim over time.
Remove any exterior accessories, for example antennas, before entering a car wash.
Cleaning the Exterior Precautions - Raptor, Sasquatch or Soft Top package
Wash your vehicle by hand, or by using a touchless commercial wash with no mechanical tracks on the floor.

The issue around automated car wash precautions is more about the tire width fitting in the motorized floor tracks. Powers of deduction. What touch, brush, mop, motorized, roller car washes DON'T have a motorized track, where you drive through manually at your own set pace? I have a non-sas Badlands, 33" tire, and no issues with my local fully motorized car wash. The warning about the soft top is probably releasing Ford of liability. Soft tops have their own hassles and that's why I didn't go with one.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The issue around automated car wash precautions is more about the tire width fitting in the motorized floor tracks.
I have probably already said this once, but I'll say it again. Mine fits just fine in the local car wash, so I run it through there when I want to clean it up. But only after scraping as much mud as I can out of the wheel wells first, then going to a do-it-yourself spray car wash to get most of the rest of the mud out of there. Otherwise it will be dripping mud out of the crevices after going through the local car wash.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What touch, brush, mop, motorized, roller car washes DON'T have a motorized track, where you drive through manually at your own set pace?
I went through a car wash years back that had a computerized setup that you basically pulled in the bay and the washing appareaious moved around the car to wash/dry it. It did an ok job, but I've never seen one like that since then and this was like 15 years ago near my old job.

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve run my Bronco soft top through a car wash with brushes and mechanical tracks numerous times with zero issues or leaking. The off road abuse is certainly 10x harder on it than any car wash I frequent. I’ll do the same with my MIC top when it arrives in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

BroncoFS

Black Diamond
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata (“So-not-a” Bronco)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Driver side rear window
05047B6C-3719-49AF-AD3C-CECA6C4FD08F.jpeg
Mine did not have this decal when I got my Bronco. I went back to the pictures that the dealer sent me when it arrived at the dealer and, sure enough, there it is on the drivers side. Glad I read about it here or I would have never known.

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've run mine through the car wash many times with no problem and no leaks.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a 4 door OBX, hard top, with about 6000 miles. Had it ceramic coated shortly after I got it. Ran it through the cash wash to look for leaks. Passenger window, I adjusted the stops as recommended here, no more leaks. Hand wash when I can but still run it through once a month. No issues.
Thanks Duke, I have an OBX, MIC, that was built yesterday. I plan on running her through the car wash on a regular basis. We also have a new Expedition. I had it ceramic coated right after delivery and have run it through the car wash multiple times. I use a ceramic spray detailer almost every time after the car wash, and it shines like a diamond.

Sponsored

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve had my BL for over a year and regularly go through brush washes. Probably 3 per month. I get mine muddy all the time, inside and out and I don’t want to baby it. I have yet to see or have any issues.

A contributing factor is that mine is Cactus Grey and doesn’t show the micro scratches that the car wash likely gives. If I had a dark color, I might be more careful.

My last car was a black Jaguar and showed those micro scratches but a home paint correction cleaned it back up fairly easily.
I plan on running mine through the car wash at least once a week. I’ll have it ceramic coated and use a ceramic detailer after each wash. I ordered Oxford White since it’s the most forgiving color.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've had the Bronco for about a month and have run it through the auto wash about 3 times.
And yes, it has brushes. Crucify me. :rolleyes:
Anyway, there have been no leaks or anything out of the ordinary.
I just fold the mirrors in and let it rip.
This is on my Sasquach OBX with MIC equipped with the factory roof rack.
Ony difference is I swapped out the old whip antenna for a stubby one.
I’ll do the same, including the stubby.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

this is just not true. Not at all.
Are there some bad washes yes - but this is not the norm. If that were true the car washing industry would not exist.

there are two types of washes touchless & cloth
if you are going to a brush style wash it was built in the 90's or earlier and the equipment is out of date. Yes do not go there as their equipment is decades old.

Soft cloth in a good wash is typically changed out every couple years. Soft cloth will shine the paint better as it comes into contact.

Touchless will not come into contact and is the alternative for those who fear swirl marks. FYI if you don't bucket wash with multiple hand cleaner mitts or change out micro fiber rags as you dry, you have just as much of a chance of swirl marks as going thru a cloth wash. OF course swirl marks are easily corrected spending a few hours with a claybar & wax session.

Take your pick but I can show you a 10 year old car that gets auto washed (soft cloth)every week at a minimum, and the finish is not scratched.
I wash my vehicles at a local car wash that has fairly new equipment and have never had any damage.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am anal when it comes to washing the toys. I asked at the local tunnel car wash what the PH was on the soaps they used. I got the IDK so checked with test strips. I will continue to wash at home with my Chemical Guys as their PH's match the products sold.
Sponsored