Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the bumpers powdercoated and doesn't powdercoating not use primer?
If done correctly, there should be a coating of Zinc Phosphate or Iron Phosphate done before powder coat.
If the surface is blasted and really clean before coating, you may have a shot at good adhesion without a phosphate coating.
The Phosphate coating guarantees good adhesion.
When I used to source coil springs, if a shop tried to say "you don't need to phosphate coat prior to Powder coating", I wouldn't even consider them as a supplier.
Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's tiny right now.

My issue is lack of durability. The bumper will get all kinds of debris on it. Based on this, it's probably the first chip of many.
Are you sure it isn't just rail dust??

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please provide evidence that oem bumpers are powered coated. I doubt they are as powder coating is very labor intensive in that they have to be baked in an oven. Most oem parts are painted. Also if you had a choice between paint and powered coating, I would take powdered coating all day long as it is much more durable and also no orange peel.

Why do you think high end wheels are powdered coated?
You might be on to something, this could be a myth that continues to be repeated. I can't find anything solid. The rear bumper and capable bumper are called out as powdercoated and that may be extended to the HD bumper by assumption.

Screenshot_20210831-065929~2.png

Sponsored
OP
OP

nhbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sequoia, F150, Ranger, Roadtrek Agile
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Probably true. Will probably under-coat it before the winter.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Powder coating is an electrostatic spray deposition. The process of baking it will fuse the material together.

As @Evolkidbell mentioned, there is a sub-plating you can do which will promote adhesion. On coil springs (as he was having done) it would be mandatory due to the movement of the sub material, on something mostly immobile as a bicycle frame or bumper it wouldn't be mandatory.

Last week's thing to be upset at on B6g was the bumper announcement which identifies the mod bumper only as "painted", which means to the OP in this thread: you can just grind down the paint and re-paint. Boom. done.

Or for that miniscule amount of rust, dig it out with a fiberglass pen, then dab some BBQ paint into the new hole using a toothpick and you're done. This is as much of an non-issue as having too many cupholders.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...standard-on-black-diamond-and-badlands.22102/

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Please provide evidence that oem bumpers are powered coated. I doubt they are as powder coating is very labor intensive in that they have to be baked in an oven. Most oem parts are painted. Also if you had a choice between paint and powered coating, I would take powdered coating all day long as it is much more durable and also no orange peel.

Why do you think high end wheels are powdered coated?
Actually powder coating is much LESS labor intensive than painting.
The powder coating process is basically spray it and bake it.
Painting requires mixing the paint, applying several coats (and waiting for flash time in between coats), then waiting for the paint to dry..... tho parts likely go thru an oven (just like PC) to speed the cure time.
And don't forget to consider the extra cleanup and maintenance required with paint systems.
Add the hassles of the solvents in paint evaporating into the atmosphere, and you can see why PC has been replacing conventional painting.

Sponsored
OP
OP

nhbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sequoia, F150, Ranger, Roadtrek Agile
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Powder coating is an electrostatic spray deposition. The process of baking it will fuse the material together.

As @Evolkidbell mentioned, there is a sub-plating you can do which will promote adhesion. On coil springs (as he was having done) it would be mandatory due to the movement of the sub material, on something mostly immobile as a bicycle frame or bumper it wouldn't be mandatory.

Last week's thing to be upset at on B6g was the bumper announcement which identifies the mod bumper only as "painted", which means to the OP in this thread: you can just grind down the paint and re-paint. Boom. done.

Or for that miniscule amount of rust, dig it out with a fiberglass pen, then dab some BBQ paint into the new hole using a toothpick and you're done. This is as much of an non-issue as having too many cupholders.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...standard-on-black-diamond-and-badlands.22102/
So, I totally agree that this is completely fixable and easy to resolve. It will take me all of 5 minutes to repair. This chip by itself is a minor problem.

I am more concerned about what it will look like in 6 months. The bumper should be able to handle a small strike and not have the paint chip. It's going to happen all the time driving down the road. I am not Ok with poor quality control on this piece.

As far as just grinding down and repainting, sure I can do that and I probably will. I have an issue with having to do that at all on a brand new car just because it wasn't done correctly at the factory. If I was off-roading and bangin' around in the woods, this would be on me. I would happily fix it. But, I am not and no one has been. It's not powder coated properly.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey all, new to the forum!

I took delivery of my 4 door black diamond bronco on Friday. I noticed on Saturday a small rust spot on the bumper. It's really small right now (see picture), but I live by the ocean and it will get worse quickly. If the ocean doesn't do it, the winter salt will.

I noticed around the paint chip that there is hardly any primer (if any at all). Looks like a very thin layer of paint.

Anyone else notice this?

Ford Bronco Rust on steel bumper of black diamond Screenshot_20210831-065929~2
Ford Bronco Rust on steel bumper of black diamond 1630429824257

Misterbear

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Black Diamond, Jeep Wrangler X
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's inevitable that a bumper is going to get bumped, chipped, scratched and dinged just driven on the road. Get a touch-up paint stick.

Thank you for coming to this forum for your mental health counseling session. We're here to help.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sucks to have rust on a car with less than 200 miles.
I agree. I would show it to the dealer, and tell them your plans. I would think the warranty would cover something like that, but I don't know for how long.
Sponsored