Sponsored

Rust prevention on powdercoated bumpers, skids, lightbars, brackets, etc?

GeorgeFromDallas

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco, 2012 Fisker Karma, F150, F250, F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm about to install an RTR Lightbar along with a new winch bumper and skid plates....but I was wanting to know my options to help "prevent" surface rust on these powdercoated parts.

I don't expect to fully prevent surface rust, but rather add extra protection to areas where powdercoat is prone to failing...like around welds and joins.

There are a few posts about stripping/recoating the parts entirely, but I was thinking to just apply a satin clear coat or satin black rattlecan to these areas.

Is it even worth just lightly coating with any of the above?

If possible, I would prefer not to "scuff" and sand, as you normally would prep a surface, if it means potentially weaken the original powdercoat protection.

Thanks for any/all help.

I've seen a few videos and posts about surface rust appearing after a few months.

Here is an example of the underside of an RTR light bar after about 6 months. (not my video)

Ford Bronco Rust prevention on powdercoated bumpers, skids, lightbars, brackets, etc? 1684913707921

Ford Bronco Rust prevention on powdercoated bumpers, skids, lightbars, brackets, etc? 1684914298526

(content credit to youtuber neverendingweekend)
Sponsored

Stigsdad

Black Diamond
First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Four Door, 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
CRC Marine Corrosion Inhibitor is pretty awesome as a 'wax oil' that prevents this without much hassle.