Sponsored

Rustproofing / Undercoating Plans Post-Delivery?

buildbigboats

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

While I wait for the configuration tool to become available I'm researching things I'll need/want to do after delivery. First thing on my list is rustproofing/undercoating. I live in Northeastern IL where they use tons of salt in the winter. Toyota replaced the rotted frame on my 05 Tacoma DCLB at a cost to them of about 15K (per service manager). Even though they covered it (after a class action lawsuit) it was a hassle (2 months with a loaner minivan!) and didn't address rust anywhere else on the vehicle. I see so many rusted/rotted vehicles here I want to be proactive and avoid that to the max extent possible on my new Bronco. Know to avoid rubberized/asphalt products for the undercoating as crack/chips can make matters worse when moisture gets underneath. Used LPS3 on Tacoma's new frame. Not familiar with/have never used any body panel, door, fender etc rustproofing products
What are others planning to do with regard to this issue?
Good products/experiences to recommend? Bad ones to avoid?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm planning on Fluid Film. I used Amsoil hdmp on my 2013 f150 and it has worked well also.

I dearly hope they have done a proper job on this thing at the factory. My early Broncos were rust buckets and my 2003 f250 is shockingly bad.

Ford Bronco Rustproofing / Undercoating Plans Post-Delivery? 20200717_090432

Last edited:

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use Fluid Film.

Every tire rotation (6,000 miles for summer tires, 4,000 miles for my winter tires/wheels) I clean everything I can reach with the wheels off, and then apply fluid film everywhere.

I've only been doing this for 38,000 miles on my daily driven Forester, which was new when I got it, but thus far it has worked extremely well. My subframe/ underbody/ suspension bits still looking pristine.

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

More about the frame and suspension. But if those panels come off easily, Imma definitely doing them!

Sponsored

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm planning on Fluid Film. I used Amsoil hdmp on my 2013 f150 and it has worked well also.

I dearly hope they have done a proper job on this thing at the factory. My early Broncos were rust buckets and my 2003 f250 is shockingly bad.

Ford Bronco Rustproofing / Undercoating Plans Post-Delivery? 20200717_090432
Fluid Film, great stuff. Used by people who spread salt in the winter to keep corrosion down. A little goes a long way.

AKaye

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Corvette Grand Sport, 2005 Ford Focus SES
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Having just replaced both rear control arms on my 2005 focus due to the bolt fusing to the control arm bushing, I would be willing to do some rust prevention.

My old 2013 focus after 5 years dailying year round looked pretty rusty on the frame and bracings. Nothing structurally significant yet but it would be nice to stave off some rust on a new $40k vehicle. Definitely going to consider a fluid film.

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Was going to get my BD sprayed. Is it recommended to spray bash plates too or not?
Sponsored