Sad Day..... Bronco towed away for transmission issue

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sorry to hear this!

With so many vehicles in general in the shop, I wonder how reliable Ford is as a whole 🤨
All the dealerships are in the same mess....not just Ford
Sponsored

abbydiver

Outer Banks
First Name
Meagan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - 4DR OBX A51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I asked the same thing to the Abbey owned Bronco ..why driving in four wheel drive on dry concrete
You’re awful quick make assumptions on multiple threads. OP specified using 4wd on icy roads and I, a) never stated anything about driving conditions or driving in 4wd at all, b) don’t even have 4A, as you assumed in your other comment, and c) actually included a video showing it’s in 2H that I was trying to shift from.

So maybe just read people’s posts before commenting?

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I asked the same thing to the Abbey owned Bronco ..why driving in four wheel drive on dry concrete
For some reason Broncos are being bought in droves by people who have never owned a 4wd and don't understand how they work.

All we can do is try to educate them but there's gonna be a lot of broken Broncos along the way.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For some reason Broncos are being bought in droves by people who have never owned a 4wd and don't understand how they work.

All we can do is try to educate them but there's gonna be a lot of broken Broncos along the way.
There is nothing inherently wrong with driving a Bronco in 4H on dry pavement. Any excessive wear over even 100 miles should be limited to tire wear. At speed you ate only powering at most 2 wheels, one front and one rear. The electric lockers on our Broncos disengage above 40 Km/hr (per owners manual)

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Jeez sorry to hear. At least you got a rental to get around. I'm a little leery on the fully automatic dial 4WD systems of today. I prefer a manual lever, you feel and know when it goes into 4H, 4L, etc. Most of my 4 X 4's have had this type of system and I never even once had a problem. My current 97 Wrangler has a manual system and so does my 2019 LD Base Silverado. I was surprised and pleased that my Silverado had a manual lever on the floor being a 2019 model. LOL

I even loved the locking hubs of years ago, completely disengages the 4WD system. Systems today the front axles spin all the time. Even my 97 Wrangler does not have hubs, front driveshaft, front knuckles, etc. spin all the time. My 71 and 70 Broncos had locking hubs and manual 4WD with levers- to me the best and most reliable system ever.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is nothing inherently wrong with driving a Bronco in 4H on dry pavement. Any excessive wear over even 100 miles should be limited to tire wear. At speed you ate only powering at most 2 wheels, one front and one rear. The electric lockers on our Broncos disengage above 40 Km/hr (per owners manual)
Yes there is and it's commonly referred to as gear bind. On dry pavement, the front and rear driveline are going to try and run at slightly different speeds (slight) and dry pavement prevents that from happening. A short while in a straight line and you're fine. Turning throws a whole curve ball at the driveline and the front will want to be at a slightly different speed than the rear.

For mixed road surfaces (dry but spots of slush), I'll run in 4H and dip my wheels from time to time in slush to allow some slip. On 100% dry, I wouldn't advise it but to each his own. That is why I'm getting one with 4A and that is what I'll use for those mixed surface days.

2050Broncoorsomething

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I ran into a similar situation last Fall, when needing to take my wife's Kia in for a recall inspection. The two closest Kia dealerships, said they were not booking any new customers for repairs.

What happened to all the mechanics? Did a subset quit the profession, or get into different lines of work, leading to a shortage of mechanics?
Wanted to try to give a little insight on the bottom question, the mechanics are aging out. And there isnt enough new coming in to replace them and not only that but the knowledge is going with them. All the new stuff is mostly changing parts out not actually needing to be a mechanic. The ones that are good are being paid well, but due to shortages they either find someone who pays more or starts their own shop and restarting the cycle.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wanted to try to give a little insight on the bottom question, the mechanics are aging out. And there isnt enough new coming in to replace them and not only that but the knowledge is going with them. All the new stuff is mostly changing parts out not actually needing to be a mechanic. The ones that are good are being paid well, but due to shortages they either find someone who pays more or starts their own shop and restarting the cycle.
Not only is it just changing parts to see if that works but most modern vehicles will tell you exactly what's wrong, if hooked up to a $50,000 diagnostic computer (I have no clue as to price) that in turn dealer charges $150+ just to hook up, and $50 more for a readout...and then still the head of service who grew up on rotary dial phones with a leash has to interpret the 1s and 0s... well a little easier than that but nowadays if you can't speak computer you have little place in a repair shop.

What's even worse, not so much cars. But sophisticated tractors, you are captive to the branded dealer for any service that involves hi-tech. Imagine if only your Ford dealer could reset the oil life monitor, or replace the headlights (yes they have to be recalibrate at the dealer, I know from deer damage on the BMW)

PaBronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2022 F-150 Lightning Pro
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just out of curiosity, I would go back to the dealer and visit your Bronco to see if it will shift.
Based on the OP's description, something could have froze up over night. You never know.

Brsox

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Sorry to hear this!

With so many vehicles in general in the shop, I wonder how reliable Ford is as a whole 🤨
Gotta plan ahead. I live very close to my dealership, they say they will give me a loaner when in for service and I'll probably buy an extended warranty.

OP
OP
Jlambe13

Jlambe13

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That sucks! Sorry to hear it. I know it probably isn't the action you want to take, but if they can't look at it until end of March doesn't that open them up for lemon law? I work in automotive, so I don't like suggesting lemon law, but unable to start looking at it for 2 months is ridiculous.

Can it be sent to another dealer? Maybe reach out to Ford?

Sorry again. Hope it works out.
I am going to call around in the next few days and see what I can do

OP
OP
Jlambe13

Jlambe13

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ouch. Did you take it to BU or to another dealership?
I took it to the dealership down the street and they have been open and helpfully. The timeframe of getting it looked is crazy though
Sponsored