First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't run across much and fail to find any info on safety ratings and the like, assuming they're not out. I wouldn't hope for a roll over at KoH or someone out driving these to get into an accident, though that would be a good indicator of the standard it's built to. I'm not a sadist, so don't go out rolling your trucks. In WV there was a Sport that was totaled before it ever got to the lot. Some friends saw it though, apparently the side of it was ripped off somehow. That's about all I've heard, short of the trailer fire.

Does anyone have any info on how safe they've made the new Bronco? The pillars, "roll cage", and the whole passenger area looks well enough tied in and look pretty robust. I'm not an engineer though, so I'd just smack it and give a smug grunt of approval. If it's a well built "cage" around the passengers, that's already a major upgrade checked off the list for future buyers. It's a bit of a pain finding a good one that fits all my needs and desires for an EB, so that'll be a convenient feature when I pull the trigger on a Gen 6 in a few years.

Edit: I'm not talking so much as to crash safety ratings, but real world experience that can be shared as to how it performed. Everyone understands safety is paramount and businesses hate lawsuits. But a roll cage is often a step up from the regular cab of a vehicle. Is the Bronco designed to bridge that gap?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The source you would be checking are linked below. Note that as this is a 2021 model which hasn't entered production yet, it's unlikely that information will be made public yet. Typically a vehicle will need to be on the market for at least one quarter before their results are posted to the public. The testing has been performed and the NHTSA has given the blessing for the vehicle to go into production, and the IIHS has developed their risk factors to determine initial rates on the vehicle. But the specifics of testing won't come out for a while yet. You're putting the cart before the horse here.

This would include the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings?cmpid...VwhmtBh3XQwnuEAAYASAAEgIRKPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ford Bronco Safety of the new Bronco? 1612912351608

IIHS: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has not even added either Bronco to their publicly searchable database.

https://www.iihs.org/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8KXovvbd7gIVwhmtBh3XQwnuEAAYAiAAEgID4vD_BwE

Sponsored

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My take is this. IFS is a safer ride than SFA. There are standard side curtain airbags on all trims. The Ford copilot 360 safety systems are in place. It’s a big solid body on frame vehicle with thicker doors than jeep. All that seems to lead to pretty good safety considerations. I’d be most concerned all small front overlap but the crash bars and frame should do a lot to protect the front driver and passenger in those tests.

Speed is what kills people these days, not much else. Safety is so built into vehicles that the most dangerous thing anymore is the driver.

OP
OP
crashmc2

crashmc2

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The source you would be checking are linked below. Note that as this is a 2021 model which hasn't entered production yet, it's unlikely that information will be made public yet. Typically a vehicle will need to be on the market for at least one quarter before their results are posted to the public. The testing has been performed and the NHTSA has given the blessing for the vehicle to go into production, and the IIHS has developed their risk factors to determine initial rates on the vehicle. But the specifics of testing won't come out for a while yet. You're putting the cart before the horse here.

This would include the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings?cmpid...VwhmtBh3XQwnuEAAYASAAEgIRKPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1612912351608.png

IIHS: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has not even added either Bronco to their publicly searchable database.

https://www.iihs.org/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8KXovvbd7gIVwhmtBh3XQwnuEAAYAiAAEgID4vD_BwE
I found other threads talking about how those numbers won't be coming out for a bit and I'm tracking. I guess I'm more talking about does the structure hold up well on the event of a roll over off road or in similar situations. I get Ford won't release a vehicle that's unsafe, especially after all the craziness from the Bronco II. I drive an F150 all day, every day without a roll cage. That's normal and expected, safe truck no questions. My gf is a highway patrol officer and has seen F150s roll down small cliffs and the family walked away unscathed. That's why she bought hers. But for me in my Raptor, I've gotta keep it chill off road. As the next poster says, speed gets you in trouble. If I go off road... I'll want more even though the F150 is a very safe vehicle. I'm just asking if the Bronco had unofficially or unintentionally been tested in that manner. Not putting any cart before any horse, just asking if it's been tested in a way that people can attest to, not wait on ratings and numbers.

Sponsored

stras27

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Read up on Boron Steel, that is what the roll cage is made out of. If you opt for the steel front bumper (and back) most of the front and rear impact should be highly rated. Obviously, with doors off side impact becomes an issue but your driving a pretty heavy truck with standard and advanced safety features (break assist for lux pack). With what I have seen safety is a non issue.

Broncie

Raptor
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

What's interesting is the Bronco Sport still doesn't have any crash test or safety ratings to my knowledge, and its been on sale for months. So it may be a while till the full-size Bronco gets any ratings.
Sponsored