Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s long past time that I got around to putting together a build journal. I planned to write it as I installed things, but that didn’t happen. Fortunately, I at least got pictures as I went.

I haven’t been as active on the forums lately, so for those that don’t know I’m pretty much a noob when it comes off-roading – and in some way cars in general. Since I reserved my Bronco, I’ve read a lot, tried to learn from others here and elsewhere on the net, and generally tried to get myself up to speed. I am very much an amateur, but I typically have a good reason for why I chose something. I’m hoping to make off-roading a regular activity for me and my family, but I also know that hopes for a new hobby or family activity sometimes don’t work as planned. So in general, I’ve tried to strike a balance between getting a decent quality product without spending too much. If things go as I hope, I can always upgrade down the road. And this will also be my daily driver.

So without any more ado, here is the King in Yellow.
(And no, I haven’t developed delusions of grandeur. It’s a reference in literary horror.)

I went with a 4-door Badlands, 2.7l Auto, MGV, Lux, MIC top in Cyber Orange. I opted against Sasquatch as I preferred the KO2s over the Goodyears, and I got everything else I wanted with Badlands. I originally included the tow package, but decided to remove it in the hopes of still getting an MY22. I reserved the first week in July 2020 and picked up September 17, 2022. Purchased through Serramonte Ford, who I would happily recommend.

I live in Sacramento, normally a 2-3 hour drive from Serramonte near San Francisco. But with an eye towards a proper break-in, avoiding the constant RPM of the interstate, I took a somewhat longer route home. Headed north across the Golden Gate Bridge, then cut across Sonoma and Napa Valleys, and took a couple of smaller highways to arrive home just after dark.

Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220917_CrossingtheGoldenGate
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220918_SonomaValley
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220918_FirstNight

I took a week off to get the bulk of my add-ons and accessories installed. Here’s what I’ve got:
  • Hood Struts (Redline Tuning QuickLift Plus)
  • Stubby Antenna (Built Right Perfect Fit Stubby Antenna)
  • Underhood Fuse Box Label (StickerFab)
  • Aux Switch Wiring Box
  • Ground Busbar
  • Underhood LED Light (GraceYou, not yet installed)
  • Relocated Trim Badges
  • Script Emblems (Bronco Depot)
  • Hood Deflector (Trail Armor Aeroskin II)
  • Horse Emblem (Ford)
  • Ford Emblem (Ford)
  • Crossmember Arm Protector (ASFIR)
  • Rear Shock Steel Skid-Plate Protector (ASFIR)
  • Hitch Receiver (Curt)
  • Hitch Cover
  • Crash Bar Plugs (Mabett)
  • Front License Plate Bracket (KR Off-Road)
  • Dune Flag Mount (SwarfWorks)
  • Pocket Lights (KR Off-Road Bracket, Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Combo, SSC2 Pro Amber Fog, SSC2 Sport White Fog w/Backlights)
  • Door Sill Guards (Fast Intentions)
  • V2 Easy-Step Add-on (IAG)
  • Front Door Pockets (KlutchTech)
  • Rear Door Pockets (KlutchTech, not yet installed)
  • Dash Rail (AR BYODR)
  • Ball Mount (AR BALL)
  • Picatinny Quick Release Mounts (Sinister Speed Shop)
  • Harken Hoist
  • Paracord Handles (Bartact)
  • Bimini Mesh Top (JTops Sunshade)
  • Tie Down Hardtop Bolts (Tie Down Anchor Pro w/ D-rings)
  • Rear Seat Back Protector (Mabett)
  • Cargo Console Protector (Mabett, installed then removed)
  • 3D Carbon Cargo Trim Protector (StickerFab, not yet installed)
  • Molle Rear Cargo Panels (Maxzina, not yet installed)
  • Cargo Enclosure (Deluxe Cargo Enclosure)
  • Gear Hooks (Sinister Speed Shop)
  • Fire Extinguishers (Element E50)
  • Antenna Mount (Mountains2Metal)
  • GMRS (Midland MXT275 w/ Ghost Antenna)
  • Interior Fuse Box Labels (StickerFab)
  • Sync 4 Screen Protector (theOCDplug, not yet installed)
  • Sun Visor Overlays (StickerFab, not yet installed)
  • Aux Switch Labels (StickerFab, not yet installed)
  • GOAT Mode Dial Overlay (StickerFab, not yet installed)
  • Glove Box Organizer (Mabett)
  • Center Console Organizer (Mabett)
  • Center Console Cover (Mabett, not yet installed)
  • Leather Center Console Tray and Coaster (Crawford Leather)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First step was the hood struts. Easy to install, work well, and provide a bit more room to work under the hood. After that, replacing the stock antenna with the stubby.

Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220918_HoodStruts
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220918_StubbyAntenna

Now it was time for a bit of creativity. I have a number of accessories I plan to connect to the aux switches. But I also fully expect to decide to make changes down the road. So I assembled some bits and pieces into an underhood wiring box. Terminal block inside a moderately weather-resistant box, some terminal connectors on the aux wiring, some dielectric grease, and good to go.

Wasn’t able to mount it where I really wanted, due to how short the aux wires were, but good enough. Also installed a busbar to use as a good ground point.
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220918_Wiring3
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220918_Wiring5box

Edit: Here's some more info on the aux switch wiring box, for those that have asked about it or are interested in making their own.
Waterproof Junction Box (7-12mm holes) https://amz.run/67Pm
Marine Terminal Block 6 Gang https://amz.run/67Pn
Heat Shrink Wire Connectors https://amz.run/67Po
Dielectric Grease https://amz.run/67Pp

Use epoxy or adhesive tape to mount the terminal block in the box, and then 3M Automotive Adhesive Tape to secure the box inside the engine compartment. This box ends up being very lightweight, so the adhesive tape is plenty. Make sure to use dielectric grease on your connections. The box protects from the elements well, but the grease prevents any issues with moisture or corrosion. I recommend attaching the aux wires to the terminal block before securing the box, simply because the factory wires are kind of short.

Last edited:

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

First step was the hood struts. Easy to install, work well, and provide a bit more room to work under the hood. After that, replacing the stock antenna with the stubby.

Now it was time for a bit of creativity. I have a number of accessories I plan to connect to the aux switches. But I also fully expect to decide to make changes down the road. So I assembled some bits and pieces into an underhood wiring box. Terminal block inside a moderately weather-resistant box, some terminal connectors on the aux wiring, some dielectric grease, and good to go.

Wasn’t able to mount it where I really wanted, due to how short the aux wires were, but good enough. Also installed a busbar to use as a good ground point.
View attachment 419005
Dayumn, I super super like this, really clever.

Of course now I'm gonna have to go back and potentially do the same.

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Inevitably, I couldn’t find my wire strippers when working on the wiring box, so it took far too long. So I didn’t get much more done the first day. But fortunately, I was able to get an appointment quickly to get my windows tinted. I’ve never added tint to any of my previous vehicles, but where I work my vehicles is in an asphalt parking lot for much of the day. The black MGV is actually superb, but it’s still black. I wanted to cut down on the heat.

I got all but the windshield done with Autobahn Black Ceramic at All About Tint in Roseville. Given the likelihood that the windshield will catch a rock and need to be replaced, I don’t see the point in tinting it. I’ve got the Ford accessory fitted Bronco visor for up front.

I also happily recommend All About Tint. I reached out to them online and was given an estimate of $400 for all but the windshield. Once there, we discussed the details. I explained my goal was to minimize heat, but didn’t want anything darker for appearance’s sake. He made some recommendations regarding %, and then I asked about the difference between the Black Ceramic and the Black i3. It was the perfect opportunity to try and upsell me. Instead he explained that while the i3 was better by the numbers, it was likely not enough of an improvement to justify the added cost.

When I came back a few hours later to pick up my Bronco, the final total with labor and tax was under $420. Job was well done. He even used a heat gun to speed up some of the evaporation, because he knew that the Bronco windows roll down a bit every time you open the door.
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220919_Tinted

Sponsored
OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And I would be remiss if I did not mention the surprise I got when I got to the first wash. There, nestled on the cowl at the base of the windshield – was a rusty metal file. I really don’t know where it came from, but I think it must have been there when I took delivery. Fortunately, it stayed put until I came across it. I don’t want to think of what it would have done to the windshield if it had kicked up on the highway.
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220920_AnonymousFile

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Next were the badges.
I moved the Badlands trim badges. One to the top inside of the swingate and one... to a place I will describe later.
Added the Bronco script, which I fortunately got from Bronco Depot quite a while back. Swapped the chrome Bronco on the swingate for the black version. And following the examples here on the forums, I got another Ford emblem and painted it to match.
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220920_BroncoScript
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220921_BroncoEmblem
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220920_FordEmblem

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Inevitably, I couldn’t find my wire strippers when working on the wiring box, so it took far too long. So I didn’t get much more done the first day. But fortunately, I was able to get an appointment quickly to get my windows tinted. I’ve never added tint to any of my previous vehicles, but where I work my vehicles is in an asphalt parking lot for much of the day. The black MGV is actually superb, but it’s still black. I wanted to cut down on the heat.

I got all but the windshield done with Autobahn Black Ceramic at All About Tint in Roseville. Given the likelihood that the windshield will catch a rock and need to be replaced, I don’t see the point in tinting it. I’ve got the Ford accessory fitted Bronco visor for up front.

I also happily recommend All About Tint. I reached out to them online and was given an estimate of $400 for all but the windshield. Once there, we discussed the details. I explained my goal was to minimize heat, but didn’t want anything darker for appearance’s sake. He made some recommendations regarding %, and then I asked about the difference between the Black Ceramic and the Black i3. It was the perfect opportunity to try and upsell me. Instead he explained that while the i3 was better by the numbers, it was likely not enough of an improvement to justify the added cost.

When I came back a few hours later to pick up my Bronco, the final total with labor and tax was under $420. Job was well done. He even used a heat gun to speed up some of the evaporation, because he knew that the Bronco windows roll down a bit every time you open the door.

I'll be getting this on my next windshield, which will probably be next week at the rate that mine eats windows...

https://www.getexoshield.com/

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And I would be remiss if I did not mention the surprise I got when I got to the first wash. There, nestled on the cowl at the base of the windshield – was a rusty metal file. I really don’t know where it came from, but I think it must have been there when I took delivery. Fortunately, it stayed put until I came across it. I don’t want to think of what it would have done to the windshield if it had kicked up on the highway.
I’d bet this most likely came from the tint shop. They use a file to trim up the edges of the film after placing it on the window

love the build so far!

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's a couple of shots of the grounding busbar.
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220920_Wiring6busbar
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220920_Wiring7busbar

Got the sill guards installed. Installed easy, and they match the CO great.
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220920_SillGuards

Next up comes the lights. I don't need massive banks of gargantuan lights to illuminate an airfield, but I do need some fog lights. We get some heavy fog in the Central Valley, especially near the fields between my house and the airport. I'm also hoping to take the family up into the Sierras during the winter (none of our previous vehicles could go up when chains were required), so I want some amber lights too.

I went with a kit that let me pick the lights I wanted. KR Off-Road Bracket to mount 3 pairs in the pockets of the HD Modular bumper. After seeing some real-world testing, I went with Diode Dynamics. They seemed to provide better light output than Rigid or Baja. I decided on one set of white fogs (SSC2 Sport) for routine use, a set of amber fogs (SSC2 Pro) for worse conditions, and a set of white combos (SS3 Sport). The combos came with an amber backlight, so I opted for the backlight on all 3 pairs.
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220920_Backlight
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220920_WhiteFo
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220920_AmberFo
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220920_ComboLights

And of course, the aux switch labels:
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220922_AuxLabels

Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It’s long past time that I got around to putting together a build journal. I planned to write it as I installed things, but that didn’t happen. Fortunately, I at least got pictures as I went.

I haven’t been as active on the forums lately, so for those that don’t know I’m pretty much a noob when it comes off-roading – and in some way cars in general. Since I reserved my Bronco, I’ve read a lot, tried to learn from others here and elsewhere on the net, and generally tried to get myself up to speed. I am very much an amateur, but I typically have a good reason for why I chose something. I’m hoping to make off-roading a regular activity for me and my family, but I also know that hopes for a new hobby or family activity sometimes don’t work as planned. So in general, I’ve tried to strike a balance between getting a decent quality product without spending too much. If things go as I hope, I can always upgrade down the road. And this will also be my daily driver.

(And no, I haven’t developed delusions of grandeur. It’s a reference in literary horror.)

I went with a 4-door Badlands, 2.7l Auto, MGV, Lux, MIC top in Cyber Orange. I opted against Sasquatch as I preferred the KO2s over the Goodyears, and I got everything else I wanted with Badlands. I originally included the tow package, but decided to remove it in the hopes of still getting an MY22. I reserved the first week in July 2020 and picked up September 17, 2022. Purchased through Serramonte Ford, who I would happily recommend.

I live in Sacramento, normally a 2-3 hour drive from Serramonte near San Francisco. But with an eye towards a proper break-in, avoiding the constant RPM of the interstate, I took a somewhat longer route home. Headed north across the Golden Gate Bridge, then cut across Sonoma and Napa Valleys, and took a couple of smaller highways to arrive home just after dark.

I took a week off to get the bulk of my add-ons and accessories installed. Here’s what I’ve got:
  • Aux Switch Wiring Box
  • Ground Busbar
  • Relocated Trim Badges
  • Horse Emblem (Ford)
  • Ford Emblem (Ford)
  • Hitch Receiver (Curt)
  • Hitch Cover
  • Pocket Lights (KR Off-Road Bracket, Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Combo, SSC2 Pro Amber Fog, SSC2 Sport White Fog w/Backlights)
  • Dash Rail (AR BYODR)
  • Ball Mount (AR BALL)
  • Harken Hoist
That is a long list of mods....I thought I would never stop scrolling.

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't see an entry for:

• horsepower stickers
  • super secret bronco patches
  • 4x4 truck nuts.
Are those coming later?
If he installs, "truck nuts", I am gonna disown you as a B6g brother...

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here's a couple of shots of the grounding busbar.

Got the sill guards installed. Installed easy, and they match the CO great.

Next up comes the lights. I don't need massive banks of gargantuan lights to illuminate an airfield, but I do need some fog lights. We get some heavy fog in the Central Valley, especially near the fields between my house and the airport. I'm also hoping to take the family up into the Sierras during the winter (none of our previous vehicles could go up when chains were required), so I want some amber lights too.

I went with a kit that let me pick the lights I wanted. KR Off-Road Bracket to mount 3 pairs in the pockets of the HD Modular bumper. After seeing some real-world testing, I went with Diode Dynamics. They seemed to provide better light output than Rigid or Baja. I decided on one set of white fogs (SSC2 Sport) for routine use, a set of amber fogs (SSC2 Pro) for worse conditions, and a set of white combos (SS3 Sport). The combos came with an amber backlight, so I opted for the backlight on all 3 pairs.

And of course, the aux switch labels:
Nicely done. @Natai

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

• Aux Switch Wiring Box
  • Ground Busbar
  • Relocated Trim Badges
  • Horse Emblem (Ford)
  • Ford Emblem (Ford)
  • Hitch Receiver (Curt)
  • Hitch Cover
  • Dash Rail (AR BYODR)
  • Ball Mount (AR BALL)
  • Harken Hoist
Natai,
I have been here for over two years too....similar to yourself. I have seen your posts and comments and have appreciated all of them. We are both in the Cyber Orange "Club". Enjoy the heck out of it, looks like you are having fun making it your own!!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sneakers
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

• Aux Switch Wiring Box
  • Ground Busbar
  • Relocated Trim Badges
  • Horse Emblem (Ford)
  • Ford Emblem (Ford)
  • Hitch Receiver (Curt)
  • Hitch Cover
  • Dash Rail (AR BYODR)
  • Ball Mount (AR BALL)
  • Harken Hoist
stephen-colbert-reading.gif
Sponsored