Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Next day was busy, though not with mods exactly.
Got the Harken Hoist installed. Fairly simple, if a little time consuming. Biggest challenge is keeping the rear top section level when raising or lowering. If I actually close the rear glass, it keeps the top in place on the straps. Put a towel over the rear portion, stack the panels, and secured them with some bungies.
Anyway, got the top off. Then I had to ferry around our dogs to the groomer.
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220922_HoistProgress
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220922_HoistAway

Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220922_BaileyRide
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220922_Freshlygroomed

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I should also mention that my wife and I had a couple of opportunities to check out some Broncos in person. First at a dealership back in 2021. I wanted to see how much the height of the vehicle might be an issue for my 5'0" wife. We checked out a Black Diamond and an Outer Banks. She got in those with no problem, but I hated the running boards on the OBX. Didn't feel like I needed them, but did feel like they were in the way.
That said, when we went to pick up my Badlands, we both immediately recognized it was notably taller on the 33s. Not an issue for me, but I did decide on some upgrades to help my wife out.

So next upgrade was the paracord handles. Great quality and quite possibly the easiest and most secure installation I could imagine for handles like these.
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220922_ParacrodHandles

Next I installed the KlutchTech Front Door Pockets.
I'd honestly prefer the M2M pockets, but I received the KlutchTechs as a gift.
Fronts go in easy. I haven't done the rears yet, but I won't be using the self-tapping screws.

Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220923_DoorPockets

Then the Swarfworks Dune Flag mount. I looked at a few options, most required some additional hardware on the swingate, and a couple attach to the trail sights. I didn't want the mount up on the hood itself where it would reduce visibility, and I didn't want to spend more on other hardware for the swingate just yet. This mount from Swarfworks mounts straight to the HD Modular bumper using the factory bolts. It's even a cool little Bronco graphic on it.
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220923_FlagMount

Next were the GPCA Tie Down Anchor Pro w/ D-rings. These replace the factory bolts to secure the rear of the MIC top, while also providing tie-down points. Well designed and good quality.

Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220923_GPCAtiedowns

And then, the superb JTops Bimini mesh top. This blows every other bimini I've seen for the Bronco I've seen out of the water. Top-notch coverage, and they really took the time to develop this thing specifically for the Bronco. Just watch the installation videos, give the velcro strips a full 24 hours to cure, and installation is a breeze.
Doesn't flap around, provides just enough shade to prevent baking in direct sun, and it's quiet. It's quiet enough that I could actually hear the faint jingling of the zipper tabs. I decided to cut those off and replace them with Micro Utility Cord.

Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220923_Jtopinstalled

And since Ford decided that only those with leather/carpet interiors might have drinks in the back seat (one of the few complaints, but nonetheless boneheaded), I hooked up the ProCase Tactical Molle Water Bottle Pouch to the rear of the front seat. I wanted something deep enough that I didn't have to worry about something falling out, but not so deep it would be worthless for normal size drink container. Kids report it works great.

Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220923_RearCupholder

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of the accessories I got from Ford was the Deluxe Cargo Enclosure. I wanted something that would provide me some relatively secure storage when out and about topless.
Install was easy, though I chose to leave some parts out - I didn't include the struts. Basically, I want to be able to pull the top of the enclosure when I want, that way I can haul the dogs or larger items. (We actually bought some large plants, stood them up in the back extending above where the top would have been, and secured them with some bungies running to the GPCA tie downs. Worked great.)

Overall, I like the design. The molle patterns in the side and rear panel are useful, and the panels don't significantly reduce the usable cargo space. One thing I couldn't get a clear answer on prior to getting my Bronco was how secure the swingate was with the top off. Plenty about doorless, but not much on topless. But turns out it works exactly how I hoped. The swingate will NOT unlock by pushing the unlock button on the doors, unless you actually have the key.

Planning to add some of my many stickers to the top of the enclosure, but haven't gotten to that yet.
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220924_Cargoenclosure

Next was the other key upgrade to help any relatives or friends get in and out - the IAG side steps. These are the short ones that hook over the stock rock rails. They install easily and get be quickly removed if needed prior to hitting the trail. You have some flexibility about where they go along the rail, but not complete freedom, as the attachment points for the rails themselves can get in the way.
Fortunately, I was able to position the front steps far enough forward that they are out of the way (I don't have to step over them to get in), but are still useful to step on if needed. I opted for the orange inserts to match the CO, but I haven't installed them yet. They actually look good without them, so not sure if I will.
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20220927_IAGsteps

One other little touch I added was inspired by a thread here on B6G. Someone drove through a mud pit and mentioned that the devil on their shoulder told them to do it. I really liked, so I had a sticker made with a little devil whispering "send it" that fits on the pillar just above my seat belt. I like how it came out - and how you won't even notice it if you're not looking.

Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20221007_DevilSendIt

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone around here posted a link to a product on Etsy that lets you transfer your Badlands trim badge to a mount that attaches on the grille. I didn't want to put it on the grille, but I used the plastic mount and attached it to a plain hitch cover.
And one nice thing about living here in CA is being able to get the old-school 60s-style California license plate. Looks great with CO.
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20221008_PlateandBadge

Sponsored

dsop

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 eGolf
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just installed my bimini yesterday, pretty happy with it and how the roof fits on top of it. Got the dune flag mount as well!

dsop

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 eGolf
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20221008_PlateandBadge

Edit: Here's some more info on the aux switch wiring box, for those that have asked about it or are interested in making their own.
Waterproof Junction Box (7-12mm holes) https://amz.run/67Pm
Marine Terminal Block 6 Gang https://amz.run/67Pn
Heat Shrink Wire Connectors https://amz.run/67Po
Dielectric Grease https://amz.run/67Pp

Use epoxy or adhesive tape to mount the terminal block in the box, and then 3M Automotive Adhesive Tape to secure the box inside the engine compartment. This box ends up being very lightweight, so the adhesive tape is plenty. Make sure to use dielectric grease on your connections. The box protects from the elements well, but the grease prevents any issues with moisture or corrosion. I recommend attaching the aux wires to the terminal block before securing the box, simply because the factory wires are kind of short.
[/QUOTE]

This is such a smart way to do this

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Working from some great posts here on B6G describing clean GMRS installs using Midland units with the controls integrated with the mic. I used them with some minor adjustments to install a Midland MXT275 with the low-profile stealth antenna. I've got a pair of the X-Talkers as well. (Those are FRS, which share some of the same channels as GMRS.) Plan is they can be used for spotters with the GMRS in the vehicle, on their own when we're on foot, or shared with others if they don't have a radio.

I fit the main unit inside the center console, under the shifter. Ran the wiring through the grommet in the firewall, then the antenna cable from there under the cowl. Mounted the antenna to a Mountains2Metal bracket. I drilled the small trim piece forward of the shifter and installed a PENGLIN RJ45 Shielded Panel Mount Coupler (https://amz.run/67dE). This is completely hidden unless you look underneath. When I plan to use the radio, just plug it in, otherwise it's invisible. I made one other small adjustment. From my reading it's a good idea to make sure the antenna is well grounded, but I was unsure about the Bronco bolts combined with the M2M bracket providing a good ground. So I got an extra length of wiring with some connectors, ran that from the base of the antenna, under the cowl, and to another ground point.

Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow GMRS1

Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow GMRS2

Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow GMRS3

Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow GMRS4

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And now I finally got my ASFIR skids installed. My first attempt did not work out, as I discovered I didn't have a wrench that would reach the nuts when installed the rear shock skids. Crescent wrench was too thick.
Second attempt went much better. Also much easier to installed from the rear if you ever install these. Easier to see what I was doing - don't know why I didn't try that to begin with.
Also impressed with how low profile the crossmember skids are.

On other important note was ordering from ASFIR directly. I ordered these in the middle of the "everything being shipped is delayed, everywhere" phase, and they come direct from Israel. Plus these are fairly heavy, and the crossmember skids were on a pre-order. Fortunately I wasn't in a hurry.
Amazingly, they arrived in just over a week.
Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20221112_ASFIRRearShock

Ford Bronco Saga of the King in Yellow 20221112_ASFIRCrossmemberSkid

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You have been busy!! Nicely done!

Sponsored

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Someone around here posted a link to a product on Etsy that lets you transfer your Badlands trim badge to a mount that attaches on the grille. I didn't want to put it on the grille, but I used the plastic mount and attached it to a plain hitch cover.
And one nice thing about living here in CA is being able to get the old-school 60s-style California license plate. Looks great with CO.
The CA retro plate looks great on all Broncos Iā€™ve seen it on, but yes CO is especially badass. I might get the retro blue NV plate for the same reason.

paperboy

Badlands
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Passport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well done and thank you for documenting all of this. I am the same as you, learning lots from all these talented enthusiasts! Hope to do many similar mods as you, just over a much greater time frame! Congratulations.

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well done and thank you for documenting all of this. I am the same as you, learning lots from all these talented enthusiasts! Hope to do many similar mods as you, just over a much greater time frame! Congratulations.
Thanks!
I didn't do all these in the last few days. Just finally got around to posting.
Did most of them the first week I had the vehicle, but I took the week off to work on it. Then I had various family members staying with us for about 4 weeks straight, so didn't get much done then.

Hoping to finally get off-road this weekend!

Gettyup

Badlands
First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt Mustang, Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One of the accessories I got from Ford was the Deluxe Cargo Enclosure. I wanted something that would provide me some relatively secure storage when out and about topless.
Install was easy, though I chose to leave some parts out - I didn't include the struts. Basically, I want to be able to pull the top of the enclosure when I want, that way I can haul the dogs or larger items. (We actually bought some large plants, stood them up in the back extending above where the top would have been, and secured them with some bungies running to the GPCA tie downs. Worked great.)

Overall, I like the design. The molle patterns in the side and rear panel are useful, and the panels don't significantly reduce the usable cargo space. One thing I couldn't get a clear answer on prior to getting my Bronco was how secure the swingate was with the top off. Plenty about doorless, but not much on topless. But turns out it works exactly how I hoped. The swingate will NOT unlock by pushing the unlock button on the doors, unless you actually have the key.

Planning to add some of my many stickers to the top of the enclosure, but haven't gotten to that yet.

Next was the other key upgrade to help any relatives or friends get in and out - the IAG side steps. These are the short ones that hook over the stock rock rails. They install easily and get be quickly removed if needed prior to hitting the trail. You have some flexibility about where they go along the rail, but not complete freedom, as the attachment points for the rails themselves can get in the way.
Fortunately, I was able to position the front steps far enough forward that they are out of the way (I don't have to step over them to get in), but are still useful to step on if needed. I opted for the orange inserts to match the CO, but I haven't installed them yet. They actually look good without them, so not sure if I will.

One other little touch I added was inspired by a thread here on B6G. Someone drove through a mud pit and mentioned that the devil on their shoulder told them to do it. I really liked, so I had a sticker made with a little devil whispering "send it" that fits on the pillar just above my seat belt. I like how it came out - and how you won't even notice it if you're not looking.

Great sticker! Should product some extras. I would buy one.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
And I would be remiss if I did not mention the surprise I got when I got to the first wash. There, nestled on the cowl at the base of the windshield ā€“ was a rusty metal file. I really donā€™t know where it came from, but I think it must have been there when I took delivery. Fortunately, it stayed put until I came across it. I donā€™t want to think of what it would have done to the windshield if it had kicked up on the highway.
Serious question: was it a bastard cut file? That would be used for fitting over-stamped body panels before the seam sealer is laid down.

Also, love your hot power block and grounding block!

Had that ended up as a convenient spot for the grounding block, and where did you ground that out to? Assuming the block somewhere near the alternator, but would love to know more about it!
Sponsored