Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I searched the forum and did not find any threads in regards to sales tax and registration. I'm writing in hopes some experts within this forum will provide some insight/facts. I received word today that my bronco is at the dealership, so we started the purchase process. I am purchasing it out of state in PA and will be registering it at home in Arkansas.

This is great and all, but I am a little concerned with the sales tax and registration portion, because the sales manager says that I have to pay the dealership and not my DMV like I always have when registering a new vehicle.

In the great state of Arkansas (WooPig), we are to pay the sale tax when registering the vehicle at our DMV. I'm afraid I may be at risk of paying sales tax twice if I pay the dealership.

With all that said, does PA require out of state buyers to pay the dealership the sales tax instead of when registering in ones home state?

Thanks,
Sean
Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I searched the forum and did not find any threads in regards to sales tax and registration. I'm writing in hopes some experts within this forum will provide some insight/facts. I received word today that my bronco is at the dealership, so we started the purchase process. I am purchasing it out of state in PA and will be registering it at home in Arkansas.

This is great and all, but I am a little concerned with the sales tax and registration portion, because the sales manager says that I have to pay the dealership and not my DMV like I always have when registering a new vehicle.

In the great state of Arkansas (WooPig), we are to pay the sale tax when registering the vehicle at our DMV. I'm afraid I may be at risk of paying sales tax twice if I pay the dealership.

With all that said, does PA require out of state buyers to pay the dealership the sales tax instead of when registering in ones home state?

Thanks,
Sean
You pay sales tax and registration when where you live not where you purchase. Done it many, many times...

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Check with your state and see if they have reciprocity with any other states. I am buying in CA but WA will recognize the CA tax paid and I can even apply for a credit on the difference which is not much.

OP
OP
smhenry

smhenry

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Check with your state and see if they have reciprocity with any other states. I am buying in CA but WA will recognize the CA tax paid and I can even apply for a credit on the difference which is not much.
Good advice. I'll reach out to my local DMV tomorrow and inquire. Thank you!

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would say ask @DealerInsider as he is a PA dealer and could answer your question definitively. But the a**hole contingent on this board ran him off.

However, you will only pay state sales tax once. Either in PA and they work it out with R-Kansas. Or at home when you register.

Sponsored

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Tax rate should be based on where you will register it, but if you've already paid the tax in a different location you'd usually just show it was paid then, and you'd have to pay an difference (like if where you purchase charges 6% but your location charges 8%).

Not PA specific, but that's how I've seen it handled in other places

OP
OP
smhenry

smhenry

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would say ask @DealerInsider as he is a PA dealer and could answer your question definitively. But the a**hole contingent on this board ran him off.

However, you will only pay state sales tax once. Either in PA and they work it out with R-Kansas. Or at home when you register.
I sent Tom an email. He's a great dude.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base

Thanks,
Sean
You do NOT have to pay sales tax in PA if you are registering in Arkansas. The PA dealer may be able to register for you in your home state and pay the Arkansas tax as it's all online these days. Do NOT let them tell you to pay PA tax!

Good dealers will give you a Certificate of Origin and you can bring that to your state and register. Some dealers don't like doing this.

Broncojeff

Raptor
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500, 2020 GT350 R
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You pay sales tax and registration when where you live not where you purchase. Done it many, many times...
Depends on the state and their agreement with your state.. CA dealer collected the MI sales tax on a GT3 I purchased there and Indiana did not collect the MI sales tax on a GT350 R and I paid it when I registered it in MI.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

GrandGrady

Big Bend
First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 SuperCrew, 2022 4dr Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m in Louisiana and we’ve always bought our vehicles out of state. Most commonly Texas. We always pay sales tax at the dealer, but we’re paying Louisiana sales tax not Texas. We never even go the DMV. Paying taxes and registration at the dealer is normal. Just make sure your paying Arkansas sales tax not PA.

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good advice. I'll reach out to my local DMV tomorrow and inquire. Thank you!
I'm buying my Bronco in VA and live in MD. My dealer is collecting sales tax for MD, but not VA. I would think that's common, but maybe not.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

you may elect to pay at the dealership, and they will submit the registration paperwork to the state. OR you can pay the dealership and get a bill of sale and then you go to your local dmv and register it. you are not required to register a vehicle if it is being used as a farm truck, etc., so therefore the dealer would not be collecting taxes and fees. most of these dealers are looking to add on fees to you. at the most, you might need to pay a notary fee for a notarized bill of sale. consult your state's dmv and they will be able to provide you with the requirements to register a car. the dealer cannot demand you pay these taxes to them.

if you refuse to pay these fees, it may effect trade in values or dealer incentives, but if you are paying cash, you should be good..

but now, why are you giving your business to a dealership which is not local? personally i feel you should try spending locally to support your community.

Garrett301

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2021 Bronco Sport, 2017 Escape
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I recently purchased a vehicle in PA but I live in MD. The dealer charged me the 6% MD sales tax and then turned around and cut me a check for that same amount made out to the MD MVA. I took the check along with the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin and bill sale to my local MVA to complete the MD titling and registration process. I still had to pay the MD title and reg fees that the dealer didn't collect (he only charged me for the PA temp tag that I drove off the lot with).
Sponsored

Last edited: