Sponsored

Sasquarch roof racks restricted from factory due to issues with GVWR; can still be installed aftermarket

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

if you look at specs, the 35s over 33s is about 5 x 6lbs. 30 lbs which isnt a ton, but adds to the total. A base BD has all the suspension so not really adding any there. Most of these show vehicle's by Ford have been 2.3 / 7MT setups which definitely are the lightwe end of the spectrum.
Sponsored

Yooperwheels

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner, Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is why I think GVWR is not the answer to every "why can't I build it this way?" question. It might make sense for roof racks, but not for a lot of other things. A winch has got to weigh more than the sound deadening.

And then there's the fact that switching to the 2.7 on the BL also restricts you from adding PPF. No way the PPF has an impact on GVWR when so many other accessories don't.
I am not sure, but this may be related to center of gravity/tipping point concerns. The Squatch pkg raises these numbers a significant amount. The engineering envelope, I would think, accommodates this but may be approaching limits. As these things roll down the highways in addition to off road, I expect that NHTSA and IIHS will be looking closely at this. So it will be interesting to see those findings.

I would think Ford would be a little gun shy about this after the Broncho II rollover lawsuits class actions and legal fees. I was driving a Ranger at the time, and my insurance co. declined to renew my policy as a result of this controversy. I quickly traded it for an F150.

I found a link related to the Broncho II stuff https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Bronco_II

dragon6172

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One of the Ford reps at Super Cel East told me that the Overland Concept had 35" tires, but was not Sasquatch. It has other components are are not part of the Sasquatch package. He didn't say the suspension, specifically, but more and more that's what I think he was getting at. It was the guy doing the talking in this video:

I doubt the overland concept was officially squatched. It had 2.3/manual. Mansquatch was announced around 21 Sep. Overland concept was displayed 7 Oct. Guarantee it was planned and/or assembled well before the 2 weeks between those dates.

Krisegon

Outer Banks
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GMC Yukon SLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I doubt the overland concept was officially squatched. It had 2.3/manual. Mansquatch was announced around 21 Sep. Overland concept was displayed 7 Oct. Guarantee it was planned and/or assembled well before the 2 weeks between those dates.
Correct, the rep specifically said it was not squatched. So what else do you get with the Sasquatch package other than 35 inch tires? ...different suspension components. This is exactly what I'm getting at. If B&P is not wrong about the roof rack, then I'm betting it has to do with the Bilstein Position-Sensitive Dampers. I'll bet they require a specific min/max weight rating to perform as intended. If you load 110lbs to the roof rack, plus the rack itself, plus 3 people in the back, plus gear in the rear, I'll bet Ford is worried that the weight will degrade the performance of the suspension.

Nathowe

Black Diamond
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I found this interesting. Built BD, Squatch and 2.7. Wanted to see what the Bimini too looked like and I got this:
Ford Bronco Sasquarch roof racks restricted from factory due to issues with GVWR; can still be installed aftermarket 90EFD5FE-8079-4021-9B82-5BA96EEE29F2

Sponsored

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali 2500HD, Audi Q5, Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well I’m now thinking I’ll wait and get a GOBI rack. It allows you to remove the top and keep the rack. They will almost certainly release a Bronco rack. They already have a JLU rack and support Ford via F-150s.
Those gobis are bombproof. Had one for a JK and had it installed at the factory in Denver. Great folks and a great product.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found this interesting. Built BD, Squatch and 2.7. Wanted to see what the Bimini too looked like and I got this:
Ford Bronco Sasquarch roof racks restricted from factory due to issues with GVWR; can still be installed aftermarket 90EFD5FE-8079-4021-9B82-5BA96EEE29F2
It's a bit of a glitch right now. Add bimini and the B&P will show a rack on your render.

However, if you toggle the Roof Off option for the render, it will show you the bimini.
Ford Bronco Sasquarch roof racks restricted from factory due to issues with GVWR; can still be installed aftermarket BiminiCG03

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sasquatch + roof rack may be too tall for transport...
No.

I used to work at the rail yard unloading new cars.

The 2020 Chevy 2500 4x4 is massive compared to Sasquatch Bronco ,and the 2500 fits in railcars and the haulers.

Krisegon

Outer Banks
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GMC Yukon SLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

if you look at specs, the 35s over 33s is about 5 x 6lbs. 30 lbs which isnt a ton, but adds to the total. A base BD has all the suspension so not really adding any there. Most of these show vehicle's by Ford have been 2.3 / 7MT setups which definitely are the lightwe end of the spectrum.
The Black Diamond has the same standard suspension as the Base through Outer Banks. The Badlands has a, "Unique Badlands suspension with front stabilizer bar disconnect." Then WT, FE, SasXAllTrims all share the Sasquatch suspension. Badlands is unique that you can have the 2.3 EB + 10 Speed Auto with the Position Sensitive Dampers. This specific combo will still allow you to have a roof rack on B&P with the 4 Door. I did some searching and it looks like the Manual is about 110 lbs on the low end (MTI550 is between 49 and 56 kilos), while the Auto is 230 lbs. The 2.3 EB weighs 342 lbs, while the 2.7 EB weighs 440 lbs.

Roof Rack Yes: 4 Door Badlands with 2.3 EB + Manual = Baseline
Roof Rack Yes: 4 Door Badlands with 2.3 EB + 10 Speed Auto = +120 lbs
Roof Rack No: 4 Door Badlands with 2.7 EB + 10 Speed Auto = +218 lbs (plus probably about 10 lbs for more fluids)
Roof Rack No: All 4 Door Sasquatch (2.7 EB + 10 Speed Auto + tires + different suspension components that maybe handle less weight)

edit: fixed math.

Sponsored

SharpGT500

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 74, 78, 80, 84 II XLS. Current: 1974
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder if it has to do with the load-bearing maximums of the Sasquatch suspension components. This is the only thing I can think of that makes sense where it is allowed on the 2 door with SAS and not on the 4 door with SAS. The longer wheelbase and capacity puts more weight on the rear suspension. This is true with non-squatch, too, but those are different suspension components. Thoughts?

Edit: after reviewing this post, I really think this is the case. The position-sensitive dampers come on the Wildtrak, Badlands and Sasquatch (and FE, obvs). Non-squatch Badlands allows it on 4-door until you upgrade the engine to 2.7 EB V6. When you do that it removes the roof rack. I think it has to do with the load-bearing capacity of the upgraded HOSS, which is designed for off-roading, not hauling. Having a certain load on the suspension components must push them into one of the secondary positions too easily.
The only problem with your theory is that all badlands have the Sasquach suspension. If you stick with the 33's and 2.3, you can get the roof rack. Ordering Sasquach on Badlands only gives you 35's and I believe 4:70 gears. I think this has as much to do with height of the vehicle as it does the extra weight. I feel it's a roll over issue that Ford is worried about.

PlayUltimate

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota. 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Black Diamond has the same standard suspension as the Base through Outer Banks. The Badlands has a, "Unique Badlands suspension with front stabilizer bar disconnect." Then WT, FE, SasXAllTrims all share the Sasquatch suspension. Badlands is unique that you can have the 2.3 EB + 10 Speed Auto with the Position Sensitive Dampers. This specific combo will still allow you to have a roof rack on B&P with the 4 Door. I did some searching and it looks like the Manual is about 110 lbs on the low end (MTI550 is between 49 and 56 kilos), while the Auto is 230 lbs. The 2.3 EB weighs 342 lbs, while the 2.7 EB weighs 440 lbs.

Roof Rack Yes: 4 Door Badlands with 2.3 EB + Manual = Baseline
Roof Rack Yes: 4 Door Badlands with 2.3 EB + 10 Speed Auto = +120 lbs
Roof Rack No: 4 Door Badlands with 2.7 EB + 10 Speed Auto = +218 lbs (plus probably about 10 lbs for more fluids)
Roof Rack No: All 4 Door Sasquatch (2.7 EB + 10 Speed Auto + tires + different suspension components that maybe handle less weight)

edit: fixed math.
In a reply above, you say “degrade suspension performance”... I guess the real question is will it break? I don’t mind going over vehicle weight as a govt standard... but if I am going to break my ride, that’s a different animal. Truth be told, all I would put up there are skis/snowboards, kayaks, and my ski gear (boot bags, etc).. which, I guess, could be 300 lbs by the time I put 4 ppl’s gear up there. (I have a family of 4, hence the desire for a 4 door)... I guess a 2.3 engine would work (I can always get it tuned)... but the idea of the 2.7 appeals to me. I also could go to the Black Diamond as I want the marine grade vinyl, but I lose high package... I feel like i am so close.. yet so far.. on the badlands...

Krisegon

Outer Banks
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GMC Yukon SLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The only problem with your theory is that all badlands have the Sasquach suspension. If you stick with the 33's and 2.3, you can get the roof rack. Ordering Sasquach on Badlands only gives you 35's and I believe 4:70 gears. I think this has as much to do with height of the vehicle as it does the extra weight. I feel it's a roll over issue that Ford is worried about.
There is something in the stock Badlands suspension that is different from Sasquatch, unless this is completely false on the compare sheet: "Unique Badlands suspension with front stabilizer bar disconnect."
Case in point, the Sasquatch on Outer Banks does not have the front stabilizer bar disconnect. I don't know what else, if anything, is different. If it were a rollover issue, then none of the 2-Door Squatches would have a roof rack. The shorter wheel base makes them more prone to rollover, as it is.

SharpGT500

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 74, 78, 80, 84 II XLS. Current: 1974
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is something in the stock Badlands suspension that is different from Sasquatch, unless this is completely false on the compare sheet: "Unique Badlands suspension with front stabilizer bar disconnect."
Case in point, the Sasquatch on Outer Banks does not have the front stabilizer bar disconnect. I don't know what else, if anything, is different. If it were a rollover issue, then none of the 2-Door Squatches would have a roof rack. The shorter wheel base makes them more prone to rollover, as it is.
Correct but YOU were referring the position-sensitive dampers and HOSS as being the problem. Those are the same on Badlands as they are with Sasquach. The disconnecting sway bar is a Badlands and first edition only feature and has nothing to do with the position-sensitive dampers and HOSS. I think it's worth noting that the disconnecting sway bar is only functional under 20 MPH.
Sponsored