Sponsored

Sasquatch beauty ring -- paint vs powder coat?

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

i am a fan of powder coating. Unless you enjoy touching up with paint and have the time to deal with redoing the paint occasionally. Or don't mind the impefections. All the spray paints I have seen on rims and items like this don't last after washing the truck/off roading/ and damage from road grime & gravel.
Sponsored

BoMiltenberger

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 BL Lux Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What’s the best method of getting some CG paint for the beauty rings?

JustSendItDude

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ended up powder coating mine as the paint wasn’t holding up. Really like the finish. Concerning the beauty ring bolts, did y’all clean off the old thread locker and add new? If so, how the heck did you clean the thread locker out of the threads?

EIGHTLUG

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G2 Raptor, GT350, Land Rover SERIES and DEFENDER
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
* Plot Twist*

I'm powdercoating the wheels and cerakoting the beadlock rings and mounting hardware.

Last edited:

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

* Plot Twist*

I'm powdercoating the wheels and creakoting the beadlock rings and mounting hardware.
Is this creakoting…?

Ford Bronco Sasquatch beauty ring -- paint vs powder coat? 1641255740594

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I ended up powder coating mine as the paint wasn’t holding up. Really like the finish. Concerning the beauty ring bolts, did y’all clean off the old thread locker and add new? If so, how the heck did you clean the thread locker out of the threads?
Did you have to sandblast before powder coating? Or what prep did the shop do before? Thanks

JustSendItDude

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you have to sandblast before powder coating? Or what prep did the shop do before? Thanks
Yes, they sandblasted the rings prior to powder coating. I paid $25 a ring at a local shop and was very happy with the results. It was a pain in the behind to get all the old thread locker removed from the bolts and the female threads in the wheel, but got it done with wire brushes and a small pick.

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes, they sandblasted the rings prior to powder coating. I paid $25 a ring at a local shop and was very happy with the results. It was a pain in the behind to get all the old thread locker removed from the bolts and the female threads in the wheel, but got it done with wire brushes and a small pick.
Thanks, the shop I found had a high price for sandblasting and said it depends on how hard it is to get the old finish off. Any idea how the sandblasting went?

Sponsored

JustSendItDude

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks, the shop I found had a high price for sandblasting and said it depends on how hard it is to get the old finish off. Any idea how the sandblasting went?
Unfortunately, I was not present during the process, so I can not answer that question. Thankfully, I have a few local shops in the DFW area. The first shop I called quoted me $40 a ring, so I called around and found another shop that would do it for $25 a ring. Complete guess here, but with it being a brand new wheel, I would assume the finish would not be difficult to remove. But take that with a grain of salt as I have 0 sandblasting experience.

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Unfortunately, I was not present during the process, so I can not answer that question. Thankfully, I have a few local shops in the DFW area. The first shop I called quoted me $40 a ring, so I called around and found another shop that would do it for $25 a ring. Complete guess here, but with it being a brand new wheel, I would assume the finish would not be difficult to remove. But take that with a grain of salt as I have 0 sandblasting experience.
Thanks, reached out to 3 shops and only one was willing to even entertain giving me a quote haha

ontheuptick

Black Diamond
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How do I find a place local to me that will powder coat them? What type of place does that?

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do I find a place local to me that will powder coat them? What type of place does that?
Google "powder coating" in your area... Voila.

That's what I did, and read some of the reviews. Was pretty simple and I was very happy with how mine turned out. I would even reach out to a few places and get quotes. Might find one cheaper that you can use or price match.

mykoljay

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

For those in north new jersey, hawthorne has a shop that is doing mine for $25/each. Taking 3-4 days.
Sponsored