Sponsored

Sasquatch has a smoother on road ride than standard Outer Banks suspension?

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This was my logic in going base Squatch instead of BD with stock suspension.
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Regardless, the $4200 for the Sasquatch on OBX is cheap and Iā€™m guessing would be mostly recovered at time of resale compared to a standard OBX.
Agreed, especially if you want the front locker. I was ok without the front locker and I actually wanted the 4.27 gears. The stove-piping of the trim levels was really annoying.

Per mile cost of ownership would end up slightly higher because of tire costs and lower fuel economy.
Yep, that's marginal - except that the OEM Goodyears appear to be garbage like many OEM fitments and ink cartidges that come with a new printer. The OEM Bridgestones could be equally lame.

Stock OBX
$45,000 OBX with tax and fees out the door (high package or other options more)

OBX Sasquatch
$49,200 OBX with tax and fees out the door (high package or other options more)

So worst case (equal resale %) weā€™re talking $3933 more over 5/100K. Again, hardly $$$$$$. If $787 per year is enough to break someone they shouldnā€™t be buying a new vehicle in the first place.
Well there are a few factors you missed, I am not worried much about gas mileage, tire wear, etc - that will essentially be the same regardless.

What will be different is that a non-modified SAS will be worth more than a modified non-SAS for residual value, and is likely to retain more resale value than a non-modified non-SAS on a percentage basis due to desirable features.

Still, I went with the non-SAS, because I want to roll my own on the suspension and the 4 wheeling I want to do is more along the line of Baja vs Rockcrawling. The front locker is just something that I would rarely use/need. If I was planning on reselling the Bronco... I probably would have opted for the SAS. Even now, I still contemplate going a different route, but none of the trim levels really would allow me to build the Bronco that I really wanted.

I wanted a damn 2 door base SAS manual with the 2.7 and adaptive cruise control. Why is that not a thing!?!?! Ford???

BFizzy

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Itā€™s surprising to me that increasing body roll and center of gravity is considered better highway handling on this forum.

old goat

Big Bend
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The point was to pick your budget and preference. Many would rather to have the Base Sasquatch than the OBX tech and luxury for the same or less money.

Regardless, the $4200 for the Sasquatch on OBX is cheap and Iā€™m guessing would be mostly recovered at time of resale compared to a standard OBX. Per mile cost of ownership would end up slightly higher because of tire costs and lower fuel economy. Raptor tires were only $250 each last I checked, vs normal SUV tires at around $175, so $300 more per set, probably 2 sets to 100K miles. Assuming 3mpg difference the fuel cost to 100K is 300 gallons, so about $1000. So all in weā€™re talking $2000 more to own a Sasquatch in 100K miles. The total cost to own the vehicle should be around as follows.

Stock OBX
$45,000 OBX with tax and fees out the door (high package or other options more)
$6000 in fuel at 20 mpg (probably a high mpg estimate)
$4000 in maintenance (ARI fleet average for a F-150 is $.04 per mile)
$5000 insurance
-$20,000 resale (44.4%)
=$40,000 cost to own for 5 years/100K miles

OBX Sasquatch
$49,200 OBX with tax and fees out the door (high package or other options more)
$7000 in fuel at 17 mpg (probably a high mpg estimate)
$4600 in maintenance
$5000 insurance
-$21,867 resale (same 44.4%, but likely higher)
=$43,933 cost to own for 5 years/100K miles

So worst case (equal resale %) weā€™re talking $3933 more over 5/100K. Again, hardly $$$$$$. If $787 per year is enough to break someone they shouldnā€™t be buying a new vehicle in the first place.

not worried about if I can afford or anybody else can afford to break budget . its that savings of $4200 -5000 that s in my bank account that I can use to invest , rather than resale later as I plan to keep it.
So SAS is a dumb buy for me not going rock crawling where and extra bumpity bump on my ass justifies 4-5k spent needlessly.
if thats your cake with icing and you spent money on it eat it and enjoy
I will stay with my rapid red OBX non-sas and cherry cobbler pie šŸ‘ :ROFLMAO::love::love: for 5k less spent

and for your equation above I will put my 4k in a money market @ 7-10% yearly which equals to a significant amount of revenue x 5 years. and I will still have my well taken care OBX in my garage , paid for and ready for another five of enjoyment . and your going to trade yours in for 22k plus no telling what they will cost in 5 years from now

oh well enough of this " BS ON MY PART " , get what you like folks . don't worry about the future , only God knows whats in store for us all by then .

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Itā€™s surprising to me that increasing body roll and center of gravity is considered better highway handling on this forum.
lol right?

Sponsored

motocane

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree. I currently drive a Range Rover Sport, which has 21ā€ wheels, so Iā€™m sure the ride would be considered harsh by most forum members but it handles very well in the South Florida I-95 traffic and the heavy rain. While Iā€˜m sure the Squatch ride is ā€œsofterā€ there would be more body roll and those M/Ts arenā€™t the best for handling heavy rain at highway speeds. Thinking the BL offers best compromise and flexibility.

Having said that, I always see guys in huge ass diesel trucks with monster tires driving like maniacs on I-95 too so šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

stras27

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Non-SAS Badlands for the win with their standard Bilstein shocks!
Is this because you have tested this or because you are partial since that is what you got. I keep going back and forth btw Sas and Non-Sas BL but have mostly settled on Non-Sas. I keep looking for justification and reassurance.

Silver&Black_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Sherief
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC (2010), '21 Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is this because you have tested this or because you are partial since that is what you got. I keep going back and forth btw Sas and Non-Sas BL but have mostly settled on Non-Sas. I keep looking for justification and reassurance.
I've seen a Non-SAS BL at a dealer preview, but was not able to test drive it. From what I saw, that's plenty for my needs. I believe my BL has already been built, but no confirmation from Ford yet (7/13 blend date).

Yes I am partial bc that's what I ordered, but many have stated the Bilstein shocks are a much smoother ride than the regular shocks on the lower trims. And for the purpose of this discussion, it's a moot point since you'll get those shocks on a BL regardless of SAS or non-SAS. I do know that the BFG KO2 33's are a proven tire that will last and perform very well.

Non-SAS on 33's will be easier on the DD Broncos.....just can't opt for the lower gearing. And since I've had to buy new tires about every 3 years, the BFG KO2s will be much easier (especially on the pocket-book) to replace than 35" or bigger tires, so I didn't feel the need to go SAS. Even though those 35s do look badass, I'm more about function than form.
Sponsored