First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You don't need taller or stiffer springs to increase ride height with coilovers, you just need to adjust the pre-load. Reference: Every adjustable coilover on the market. The purpose of stiffer springs is at least partially to reduce body roll created by raising the vehicle's CG.
Good point. If the spring "bottoming out" is the compression limit, then you're also giving up travel to gain some height with this approach. Correct?
Sponsored

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good point. If the spring "bottoming out" is the compression limit, then you're also giving up travel to gain some height with this approach. Correct?
The spring is the same height. As long as you're not overextending the shocks, travel should not be effected. Adjustable coilovers have recommended ranges, if you want to go higher, changing the whole setup (stiffer springs and longer travel shocks) is best.

Ford Bronco sasquatch on badlands really worth it? 1602462306437

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That diagram doesn't make sense to me. If I've added pre-load the the right spring then at ride height it should be compressed more than the one on the left. The right spring "sees" more weight. The pre-load plus the weight of the car....

I admit it could be just me getting confused... help me out :)

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That diagram doesn't make sense to me. If I've added pre-load the the right spring then at ride height it should be compressed more than the one on the left. The right spring "sees" more weight. The pre-load plus the weight of the car....

I admit it could be just me getting confused... help me out :)
Preload does not add to the effective weight on the spring at load, it just makes sure the spring is never fully uncompressed. In other words, if your vehicle is 4,000lb, the suspension is seeing 4,000lb of pressure whether the preload is 1" or 3". The diagram is as if the vehicle is already sitting on the suspension.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have 35” MT tires on both my f150 and wrangler and 32.5” KO2 on the wife’s grand cherokee trailhawk. Live in CO and get plenty of snow. I have ZERO issues w/ my MT tires and drive over 20k miles/yr and leave for work at 4am typically before plows have had a chance to hit the areas I drive. Rotate my tires on all vehicles every 3k miles. F150 has 40k miles on them and still holding up, GC has 42k miles on the KO2s. Jeep has 15k miles on them.

Sponsored

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You don't need taller or stiffer springs to increase ride height with coilovers, you just need to adjust the pre-load. Reference: Every adjustable coilover on the market. The purpose of stiffer springs is at least partially to reduce body roll created by raising the vehicle's CG.

EDITED to Add the Q&A answer you may have been referencing:

2. Suspension Difference on BL vs Sasquatch how? -Will 35' tires fit BL
Sasquatch has stiffer springs and longer shocks. There is no “ spacer”
Squatch also supposedly has less travel, makes me think its just a difference in the spring perch placement (similar to how Bilstein 5100's work except probably not adjustable). Less downward travel, same upward travel (range of motion that is, fully extended is the same place, you're just starting more extended than the non-squatch so not as much travel from there to fully extended.)

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not really? But it depends on the wheels and tires you want? Basically that's all your paying for / getting with Squatch on a Badlands.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh that kind of stinks - would be nice to have an option.

Good to know, I was under the impression you had to go Sasquatch since the rims are wider (aren't they) - so more targeted to 12.5" wide tires.

No worries. I think what we really need is a table that shows all the actual known (believed to be known) options in one spot. I agree that the value of Sasquatch becomes a little less clear with the Manual trans (no gearing change, no front digs).
bronco wheel sizes.jpg

bronco gears.png

Sponsored

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
So im planning to at least TRY to get into offroading/overlanding. but there is a chance that wont really "stick" as a hobby. However im worried about how the sasquatch package isnt really a "lift" and more or less upgraded gearing with some other things (for lower trims , not the badlands).

I am worried about articulation. Would 33's on a badlands be better for offroading than a sasquatch with 35s? Seems the 35's do not have enough "lift" to give you extra articulation.

How important is the upgraded gear ratios? i dont know much about cars but it seems like it might have an effect on mileage if i end up dropping the "offroading" and just use the car as a daily driver.

And final question. How would you perform an ACTUAL lift on sasquatch to get more articulation? you would have to replace the A arms in the front correct? Longer shocks?

Basically is it better to pull the trigger on saquatch and lift later? or just roll with 33's until more "extreme" 3rd party packages are available.
My guess is a Badlands or a Squatched Bronco will be overkill for you, as they will be for most people. You will most likely be able to do ANYHTING you want with a Black Diamond and the rear diff lock. The Big Bend has an optional rear diff locker (probably ~$500) and will be very capable off road. Remember, your on-road driving will be compromised by going with larger 33" or 35" tires. Sasquatch 35s will require loooooong breaking distances relative to smaller tires. The car will be noticeably slower accelerating and have worse handling, turning, etc. Lastly, the big tires will be louder and get worse gas mileage. Everyone (including myself) wants to 'look' cool with big bad tires, but they come with costs you may find annoying on a daily basis. I have owned Rubicons and Defenders and am leaning towards the Badlands. I know it is going to be way more off-road capable that I need and essentially be wasted. I am lately starting to wonder if even the 33s are going to be too much on the road?

roxbury29

Wildtrak
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150/JK 4dr. Wrangler/Flex/Mazda6
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My guess is a Badlands or a Squatched Bronco will be overkill for you, as they will be for most people. You will most likely be able to do ANYHTING you want with a Black Diamond and the rear diff lock. The Big Bend has an optional rear diff locker (probably ~$500) and will be very capable off road. Remember, your on-road driving will be compromised by going with larger 33" or 35" tires. Sasquatch 35s will require loooooong breaking distances relative to smaller tires. The car will be noticeably slower accelerating and have worse handling, turning, etc. Lastly, the big tires will be louder and get worse gas mileage. Everyone (including myself) wants to 'look' cool with big bad tires, but they come with costs you may find annoying on a daily basis. I have owned Rubicons and Defenders and am leaning towards the Badlands. I know it is going to be way more off-road capable that I need and essentially be wasted. I am lately starting to wonder if even the 33s are going to be too much on the road?
^ just like most Jeep Wrangler owners, lifted more then needed and larger than needed aftermarket tires and wheels.
But the rig almost always looks cooler. Haha.

OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im not turning away from the badlands

but cant i just put smaller tires on the sasquatch or will the gearing make it not a good idea

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Im not turning away from the badlands

but cant i just put smaller tires on the sasquatch or will the gearing make it not a good idea
Don't fully understand your question. You are considering a Badlands with Sasquatch, but putting on smaller tires?
Sponsored