First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If someone had a manual trans Sasquatch and then swapped on 33" tires, they'd have the same effective gearing as the Badlands manual trans does, right? So, by that token, manual to manual, BL to Squatch, the BL would have shorter effective gearing and be quicker off the line (assuming equal or no wheelspin). I'll explain.

Put the numbers all into a final drive calculator - the Sasquatch tires are roughly 5% larger in diameter than the Badlands tires. That has the effect (thus the term "effective gearing" above) of lowering the drive force at the tire contact with the road by a proportional amount. This is because torque = force x radius, and the 35" tire's radius is bigger than the 33's. If you divide a bigger radius out of an equal torque value, then the force has to be less. Anyway, formulas aside, that makes the Sasquatch 4.7:1 gearing feel 4.47:1 gearing - in comparison to the BL version with the same gears but smaller rubber.

It is all relative. You could alternately argue that compared the stock Sasquatch with 35s and 4.7:1 gears, changing to that truck to 33s will feel like you changed the gears to a 4.94:1 ratio. Again, its all relative. In either case, Ford has packaged these combinations in one model or another, so they must have considered those assorted tire and gear combinations to be reasonable for use. They also must have speedo calibrations to do either.
Sponsored

Jpeyer

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope. Not for auto 2.7.
Need sas to get 4.7 gears.
If ford is hoping on maxing profits, they will be offering gearing upgrades. More than likely just for higher models. It is a lot easier to sway someone $400 for gears like in their trucks vs $2500+ on Sasquatch. Being you get that gearing without squatch on a manual badlands.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If ford is hoping on maxing profits, they will be offering gearing upgrades. More than likely just for higher models. It is a lot easier to sway someone $400 for gears like in their trucks vs $2500+ on Sasquatch. Being you get that gearing without squatch on a manual badlands.
Who knows at this point.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Badlands only has 4.7 with the manual. Automatics have 4.46 until you get the Sasquatch package.
Ford Bronco sasquatch on badlands really worth it? speed at 1000 rpm

Yes I am aware. I am coming from the auto 2.7 perspective.
To get the 4.7 gearing need to go Sasquatch.....the gearing is the biggest benefit to me.
I do NOT understand what 'benefit' you think you are getting from the Sasquatch 4.7? PLEASE look at the attached table! With manual transmission, every other trim can crawl slower than Sasquatch, which needs 4.7 just to try and keep up!

For the automatic with Advanced 4x4, even given its 4.7, Sasquatch cannot match the slower crawl speeds of the Black Diamond or the Badlands, albeit it's close. MORE IMPORTANTLY, if you Squatch a lower trim WITHOUT upgrading to the Advanced 4x4, Badlands BLOWs AWAY Sasquatch in slow crawl ability!

Now I see,,, the ONLY WAY Sasquatch 4.7 gives a crawl advantage is when you upgrade an automatic Badlands to Sasquatch to get the 4.7 and THEN REPLACE 35s WITH 33s. This will yield the slowest crawl speed Bronco you can get.

4.7 on Sasquatch IS NOT A BENEFIT, rather a requirement needed to offset large tire circumference.
Change my mind!

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
[QUOTE="Cheshire, post: 240287, member: 48]

4.7 on Sasquatch IS NOT A BENEFIT, rather a requirement needed to offset large tire circumference.
[/QUOTE]

Any one who thinks they can get a non Sasquatch and just add 35's is in for a disappointment. I agree 4.7 is required for 33 and bigger tires.

I have a Toyota with 35's and 4.1 and it is terrible. I have been putting off the regear because it will be at least 3k maybe more depending on what upgrades I do.

The Sasquatch is really a great deal for the price.

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I do NOT understand what 'benefit' you think you are getting from the Sasquatch 4.7? PLEASE look at the attached table! With manual transmission, every other trim can crawl slower than Sasquatch, which needs 4.7 just to try and keep up!

For the automatic with Advanced 4x4, even given its 4.7, Sasquatch cannot match the slower crawl speeds of the Black Diamond or the Badlands, albeit it's close. MORE IMPORTANTLY, if you Squatch a lower trim WITHOUT upgrading to the Advanced 4x4, Badlands BLOWs AWAY Sasquatch in slow crawl ability!

Now I see,,, the ONLY WAY Sasquatch 4.7 gives a crawl advantage is when you upgrade an automatic Badlands to Sasquatch to get the 4.7 and THEN REPLACE 35s WITH 33s. This will yield the slowest crawl speed Bronco you can get.

Change my mind!
It’s hard to follow your point. It seems you are saying that the autos have lower crawl ratios than the manuals. Of course they do. They have to, because the effective crawl ratio of an auto is much higher than what’s listed, because it doesn’t stall. Most people will double the actual ratio of an auto to compare to a stick and look at actual crawl ratios on the trail.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have 35” MT tires on both my f150 and wrangler and 32.5” KO2 on the wife’s grand cherokee trailhawk. Live in CO and get plenty of snow. I have ZERO issues w/ my MT tires and drive over 20k miles/yr and leave for work at 4am typically before plows have had a chance to hit the areas I drive. Rotate my tires on all vehicles every 3k miles. F150 has 40k miles on them and still holding up, GC has 42k miles on the KO2s. Jeep has 15k miles on them.
How do the MTs drive on wet pavement/dry pavement?

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
speed at 1000 rpm.png

Change my mind!
In looking at those numbers, on the automatic side, with Advanced 4x4, the Squatch would be going 0.01mph faster than the BD at 1000 RPM but SLOWER than every other trim except BD (the person you quoted is mentioned an auto). Badlands is not listed on the SotF side of the table but the only one slower than the Squatch is the BD. The reason the Badlands is barely different is that it has higher gears (numerically lower) in the rear end and smaller tires (33's vs 35's) So no, the Badlands does not blow the squatch away.

On the manual side, yep, its faster than everything but if you're in C, it's slower than any of the autos by a wide margin.

Any one who thinks they can get a non Sasquatch and just add 35's is in for a disappointment. I agree 4.7 is required for 33 and bigger tires.

I have a Toyota with 35's and 4.1 and it is terrible. I have been putting off the regear because it will be at least 3k maybe more depending on what upgrades I do.

The Sasquatch is really a great deal for the price.
1. This is not an underpowered Toyota.
2. Transmission gears matter too. Pretty likely that 1st gear in the 10 speed is lower than 1st gear in the 5 or 6 speed that the Toyota has.
3. I'd put 35's on my F150 in a heartbeat if I had a lift, I've got the 6-speed and 3.55's and I'm pretty sure it would be just fine. Yeah, I've got the V8, the 2.7 puts out as much peak torque and more at lower rpm so...

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s hard to follow your point. It seems you are saying that the autos have lower crawl ratios than the manuals. Of course they do. They have to, because the effective crawl ratio of an auto is much higher than what’s listed, because it doesn’t stall. Most people will double the actual ratio of an auto to compare to a stick and look at actual crawl ratios on the trail.
I was replying to the guy who wants automatic transmission and wants Sasquatch for the 4.7 gearing. What I said is clear, it makes no sense that one would want Sasquatch because it has 4.7. 35" tires need that low gear ratio to be able to crawl
In looking at those numbers, on the automatic side, with Advanced 4x4, the Squatch would be going 0.01mph faster than the BD at 1000 RPM but SLOWER than every other trim except BD (the person you quoted is mentioned an auto). Badlands is not listed on the SotF side of the table but the only one slower than the Squatch is the BD. The reason the Badlands is barely different is that it has higher gears (numerically lower) in the rear end and smaller tires (33's vs 35's) So no, the Badlands does not blow the squatch away.

On the manual side, yep, its faster than everything but if you're in C, it's slower than any of the autos by a wide margin.

1. This is not an underpowered Toyota.
2. Transmission gears matter too. Pretty likely that 1st gear in the 10 speed is lower than 1st gear in the 5 or 6 speed that the Toyota has.
3. I'd put 35's on my F150 in a heartbeat if I had a lift, I've got the 6-speed and 3.55's and I'm pretty sure it would be just fine. Yeah, I've got the V8, the 2.7 puts out as much peak torque and more at lower rpm so...
Badlands is not listed on the SotF side of the table because Badlands comes with Advanced 4x4! AND because Badlands has Advanced 4x4, if you put Sasquatch on a lower trim automatic, Badlands will BLOW AWAY squatch without the upgraded 4x4 system, but I ALREADY SAID THAT. Please read more carefully before disagreeing!

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Change my mind!
Cheshire, you are correct that the deeper gears only offset the larger tire diameter, what you aren't taking into consideration is the advantage the larger tire diameter gives you offroad. Take the black diamond's not quite 32's vs the 35s on the squatch, now try to roll them each over the same obstacle. Try rolling over a log, climbing a ledge, or getting a tire on a big rock. The larger tire will always have the advantage, and the throttle bump to get over that obstacle will be much less necessary. Tire diameter offroad is king if everything else is equal.

Sponsored

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Cheshire, you are correct that the deeper gears only offset the larger tire diameter, what you aren't taking into consideration is the advantage the larger tire diameter gives you offroad. Take the black diamond's not quite 32's vs the 35s on the squatch, now try to roll them each over the same obstacle. Try rolling over a log, climbing a ledge, or getting a tire on a big rock. The larger tire will always have the advantage, and the throttle bump to get over that obstacle will be much less necessary. Tire diameter offroad is king if everything else is equal.
I agree with you 100%, but this topic is about gearing. A lot of people say they want Sasquatch for the 4.7 gear. The 4.7 is there to alleviate some of the negative effects of having a large 35" tire. There is nothing special about 4.7, it is merely necessary to accommodate large tires.

Big tire advantage off-roading is un-questionable, but folks should beware of getting a lift and installing 35s on lower end model trims. People who lift the Base (for example) and put on 35s w/o the Sasquatch gear and w/o the lower gearing in the Advanced 4x4 will find themselves disappointed.

Reactions: JT1

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with you 100%, but this topic is about gearing. A lot of people say they want Sasquatch for the 4.7 gear. The 4.7 is there to alleviate some of the negative effects of having a large 35" tire. There is nothing special about 4.7, it is merely necessary to accommodate large tires.

Big tire advantage off-roading is un-questionable, but folks should beware of getting a lift and installing 35s on lower end model trims. People who lift the Base (for example) and put on 35s w/o the Sasquatch gear and w/o the lower gearing in the Advanced 4x4 will find themselves disappointed.
Absolutely. Tire size for where you wheel, then gear for the tire size. There are very few places I've been where 35's on a 2 door weren't enough.

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was replying to the guy who wants automatic transmission and wants Sasquatch for the 4.7 gearing. What I said is clear, it makes no sense that one would want Sasquatch because it has 4.7. 35" tires need that low gear ratio to be able to crawl

Badlands is not listed on the SotF side of the table because Badlands comes with Advanced 4x4! AND because Badlands has Advanced 4x4, if you put Sasquatch on a lower trim automatic, Badlands will BLOW AWAY squatch without the upgraded 4x4 system, but I ALREADY SAID THAT. Please read more carefully before disagreeing!
Dude, calm down, yep, I missed that sentence and was not aware that BL came with the advanced 4x4 either (that actually makes me more likely to go BD). My apologies.

If you're planning on going 35's anyway, I think Squatch does make sense. Add 35's to all those trim levels without Squatch and look at the numbers. And I've seen several members say they may Squatch and go down to 33's (which probably gets them close to the ratios that automatic Jeeps have)

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Change my mind!

The benefit I was referring to in my post was for highway driving with 35 inch tires or perhaps 37's.
Does the 4.7 gearing not come into play there?
Sponsored