First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I've been strugglebussing on the right rig for myself. To me it boils down to the USE case of the Bronco with sasquatch. In particular the BD trim. I already know that more than likely, I could get by for everything I need to do with my Jeep Renegade. I have dreams of doing more, of course so I want the bronco. So my question isn't how cool the Sasquatch Package is, or how good of a deal it is; my question is:

What is the offroading use case for the front locker, lift, Bilstein suspension and 35s? How much less capable in say MOAB is a 2d BD without the sas package? Where am I going to be frustrated that I didn't get the sasquatch? How far will a lift and 32s get me in this case?

I could care less about frustration parked next to a sasquatch at the mall (though I do dream of a big, bouncy funtime machine). I personally think the MGV is going to make me happier on a daily basis. But if I were going to MOAB or Canyonands wheeling, how upset would I be with the unsquatched BD? Would I be frustrated at all? Maybe the unsquatched Bronco is totally a fun rig.. Maybe a lift and 32s could get me 90% of the way there.

Seems like all discussion is on how BAD-A the sasquatch is. Is the BD trim without it still a fun offroading rig? Or just another seriously limited DD?

If you have videos of the unsquatched Bronco doing cool things in the backcountry I would appreciate these :).
Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It really depends on the challenge level you think you will be taking on. I owned a '72 Bronco, open diffs, and only once did I ever try a trail hard enough that I couldn't get up. I was younger and less cautious then. That was a trail I'll never likely try again even though BL Squatch could likely make it. Likely a BD/non-squatch, and even lower trim levels, will do everything I will ever attempt, but I'm going to get some extra goodies anyway.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The front locker is everything. The better shocks and lift dont hurt. Basically the sasquatch package is exactly what you would expect to see on an old well built modified 4x4 from the 70s or 80s. Lockers, small lift, tire size bump, and premium dampeners. Its the package for the buyer who doesn't know enough or doesn't have the time to build up their rig along the way. If you plan on going wheeling a bit and ever feel like you will have the itch to do any one of the squatch modifications. You should probably go with for it or Badlands or above. Ford has the package dialed in better than anyone you will pay to do it later.

As for how much further it will get you than a stock BD? Anyone who goes wheeling enough to get stuck places and have fun doing it, will tell you that lockers, lift, and tires will get you that extra 5 ft that stood between an adventurous day but home in time for dinner, a long sweaty muddy night, or simply home by lunch because you didn't want to push it.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What is the offroading use case for the front locker, lift, Bilstein suspension and 35s? How much less capable in say MOAB is a 2d BD without the sas package? Where am I going to be frustrated that I didn't get the sasquatch? How far will a lift and 32s get me in this case?
Ford is selling a dream to Bronco buyers. They want us to fantasize about all of the crazy things we will do in our Broncos. That's what creates the desire. If they said, "You know what, you could take our Ford Escape and 99% of you could go anywhere you actually will use it with it right off the showroom floor," that wouldn't sell so many Broncos. :D

I'm dealing with the same thing. I'm already aware that the Bronco I pick is likely to be overkill for how I'll actually use it. If I could, I'd leave a few items off the order sheet, but I don't feel like waiting another year or two to see if Ford will change models to better suit me. So, I'm telling myself that those features will make for better resale should that ever need to happen. :LOL:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I've been strugglebussing on the right rig for myself. To me it boils down to the USE case of the Bronco with sasquatch. In particular the BD trim. I already know that more than likely, I could get by for everything I need to do with my Jeep Renegade. I have dreams of doing more, of course so I want the bronco. So my question isn't how cool the Sasquatch Package is, or how good of a deal it is; my question is:

I could care less about frustration parked next to a sasquatch at the mall (though I do dream of a big, bouncy funtime machine). I personally think the MGV is going to make me happier on a daily basis. But if I were going to MOAB or Canyonands wheeling, how upset would I be with the unsquatched BD? Would I be frustrated at all? Maybe the unsquatched Bronco is totally a fun rig.. Maybe a lift and 32s could get me 90% of the way there.

Seems like all discussion is on how BAD-A the sasquatch is. Is the BD trim without it still a fun offroading rig? Or just another seriously limited DD?

If you have videos of the unsquatched Bronco doing cool things in the backcountry I would appreciate these :).
Thanks!
My user pic is my stock height CJ-7 with 31" tires and open diffs at Moab. No you don't need Sasquatch. And also consider the traction control on the new Bronco will act like a sort of locking diff. So they won't simply behave like open diffs as on older rigs. But if you do need the Sas components for real use (or for the Walter Mitty aspect), I'd get the Sas package rather than build it later.

Sponsored

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Well, now I know what I’m calling my Bronco;

big, bouncy funtime machine

:ROFLMAO:

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The sasquatch with bigger tires, more lift and a front locker (assuming it works about as well as a SFA locker) will be much more capable. You may only need that extra capability 5% of the time, but that 5% may be the difference of getting stuck or not.

It also gives you confidence to try something you may not have been willing to try otherwise. There are pros and cons to that as you may get to see some incredible country, have fun and get places few go, but when you get stuck back there you can get really stuck!

I will say most people (including me) will be limited more by potential damage to a new vehicle than they will capability of the vehicle. Now in 5+ years when vehicle is older I may give those type of obstacles a try. Also, if you are actually going to offroad that hard you need to have a good recovery kit, plan/communication method, basic knowledge of vehicle capability, etc.

I think the sasquatch is a steal for what you get and would absolutely spend the money up front as you likely make it back in re-sale if nothing else. Only reasons I wouldn't go sasquatch would be if I wanted to build an off-road rig out myself or if I knew I would rarely go offroad and wanted to maximize gas mileage and on road performance. Of course if that's your driving emphasis then a bronco maybe isn't the best choice at all.

I think a sasquatch will actually ride fairly nice. I think the only real consideration is initial cost, gas cost and tire costs. Everything else in my mind favors the sasquatch.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks!
RIght there with you, except I'm looking at (all autos) 4DR Base 2.3 or 4DR BaseSquatch 2.3 or 4DR Big Bend 2.3 Mid with Rear Locker. BaseSquatch and Big Bend are about the same price and Base is about 5K cheaper. It really comes down to Buy and Build, Buy it Built or "Compromise" for what you'll actually do with it and not what you dream you'll do with it!

For me, factory installed and warrantied good parts are better than better aftermarket non-warrantied parts. Though if I could do a BaseSquatch with 4.46 gearing and 33's I'd opt for that.

For actual use a Base would most likely do all I need it to do now. If I actually started wheeling, then a small lift and 32/33s would probably give me all the extra I need.

I'm getting a Bronco mainly as a convertible 4x4 that I can do easy trails with like I did on my TW200.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thanks!
The reason I have an FJ Recovery Vehicle sticker on the back of my JKUR, is I have pulled my neighbor out twice. His son was stuck in the mud both times because he didn’t have front and rear lockers and he was running KO2s.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base

Thanks!
I'm getting a non-Squatch Badlands 2.7, but lately I'm forcing myself to consider a Black Diamond 2.7. The way I'd build them, it's essentially a $10k difference.

The BD w/rear locker will get me most anywhere I want to go and will force me to drive better.

If I'm honest with myself, for me the BL is about better looks on 33s with optional rims and more ground clearance. I like having all the goodies, but it's not rational thinking. I'm a cash buyer and can get what I want and I know inside I'll enjoy driving on the road in the Back Diamond better. It will handle better than BL w33s (way better than 35s). My wife and kids will have an easier time climbing in and out. That said, my lizard brain will probably get the BL.

Concerning your Squatch, I think the most advantage that will give you is ground clearance. Big tires get through more stuff than smaller tires. Much more important than extra locker in front. The excellent off road performance of 35s comes with the cost of being equally bad in road. Haters will jump down my ass about that comment, but it's simple physics.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm getting a non-Squatch Badlands 2.7, but lately I'm forcing myself to consider a Black Diamond 2.7. The way I'd build them, it's essentially a $10k difference.

The BD w/rear locker will get me most anywhere I want to go and will force me to drive better.

If I'm honest with myself, for me the BL is about better looks on 33s with optional rims and more ground clearance. I like having all the goodies, but it's not rational thinking. I'm a cash buyer and can get what I want and I know inside I'll enjoy driving on the road in the Back Diamond better. It will handle better than BL w33s (way better than 35s). My wife and kids will have an easier time climbing in and out. That said, my lizard brain will probably get the BL.

Concerning your Squatch, I think the most advantage that will give you is ground clearance. Big tires get through more stuff than smaller tires. Much more important than extra locker in front. The excellent off road performance of 35s comes with the cost of being equally bad in road. Haters will jump down my ass about that comment, but it's simple physics.
My lizard brain even publicly posted on here, not too long ago, that I was all in on the BL after waffling between the two.

I was at that nearly $10k difference as well.

Front locker would be nice, but not the be all and end all. I'm fine without it. Sway bar disconnect....I'll install a manual one myself for a few hundred. 33s I'll put on as soon as I wear out the 32s.

The BL with a lift and 33s looks better overall but every other difference looks better to me on the BD. Grill, lights, interior, wheels.

In the end it wasn't worth the jump. I'll wheel this thing for sure but it's also a daily driver. This goes for Sasquatch too. Looks good....don't need it. The cost for a few extra inches of ground clearance and some other goodies doesn't work out for me.

I'm a cash buyer as well. I can afford either but instead of thinking "oh it's only $x/month" extra it's a one time punch to the gut. I'll be happier filling out the cheque for the price of the BD.

I'll fuel my lizard brain with all the mods I can do with nearly $10K saved.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It comes down to your intended usage and budget.
A 4-door BD-Sasq = $46.9k (2.7 - auto - std pckg)
A 4-door BL-Stock = $46k (2.3 - man - std pckg)

Bang for the capability buck is the BL.
Sway bar disco
Baja goat instead of sport
and if you want the 2.7+auto it is only $500 more than the BD-Sasq.

edit. goat modes diff.

Last edited:

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It comes down to your intended usage and budget.
A 4-door BD-Sasq = $46.9k (2.7 - auto - std pckg)
A 4-door BL-Stock = $46k (2.3 - man - std pckg)

Bang for the capability buck is the BL.
Sway bar disco
Baja goat instead of Eco
and if you want the 2.7+auto it is only $500 more than the BD-Sasq.
I think capability wise, the BD is a better deal. 35s v 33s w/ sway bar disconnect; I would definitely prefer 35s overall off road. Baja replaces Sport mode in BL....I don't know how usable Baja really is in Bronco, and I would rather have Sport.

Sasquatched BD is more capable stock than Badlands Non-Squatched. The real question is, is it worth the upgrade to get a Badlands squatched, which is more capable. Especially with the high pckg, which would be awesome to help self spot.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think capability wise, the BD is a better deal. 35s v 33s w/ sway bar disconnect; I would definitely prefer 35s overall off road. Baja replaces Sport mode in BL....I don't know how usable Baja really is in Bronco, and I would rather have Sport.

Sasquatched BD is more capable stock than Badlands Non-Squatched. The real question is, is it worth the upgrade to get a Badlands squatched, which is more capable. Especially with the high pckg, which would be awesome to help self spot.
Really, it is a pick-em between BD-Sasq and BL-Stock when it comes to capability. A 1a vs 1b instead of a 1 vs 2. All depends on ones usage. But for OP's outlined use, either will be more than capable but a BL-Stock gives him more room to grow once he gets bitten by the bug.
Sponsored